3DCoat Forums

Bridge in retopo?

franhazard

• Reputable Contributor

I've been banging the table on this, among other Retopo room tool requests, for some time now:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14525

Please add your "+1" to the Mantis Requests, which are linked to in that thread...if you'd like to see these features added. But, in the mean time, the Points and faces tool is about the only "Bridge" tool there is, between disconnected pieces of geometry. Problem is, you have to do it one poly at a time. In some cases, it's just a minor annoyance, but in others, it can be a major pain in the bum. The Quads Tool, set to DIRECT selection mode ("Selection Mode" drop list menu in the Toolbar in the Upper part of the UI), can speed through it rather quickly, and then you can use the SPLIT RINGS tool to add extra loops.

• Reputable Contributor

I think Andrew realizes he's got a LOT on his plate, and he's hired an additional programmer recently. Developing the modeling tools in the Retopo room was one of the first objectives for him, according to Stas (Business Manager/Sales Director)....so hopefully we'll see some development on that score, in the very near future.

I think Andrew realizes he's got a LOT on his plate, and he's hired an additional programmer recently. Developing the modeling tools in the Retopo room was one of the first objectives for him, according to Stas (Business Manager/Sales Director)....so hopefully we'll see some development on that score, in the very near future.

I'm curious, how long between major releases?

• Reputable Contributor

I'm curious, how long between major releases?

The last one was about 5-6yrs. It would take about 20yrs of upgrades to approach the cost of ZBrush. So, it's really a matter of pay upfront or in small increments along the way.

The last one was about 5-6yrs. It would take about 20yrs of upgrades to approach the cost of ZBrush. So, it's really a matter of pay upfront or in small increments along the way.

6 years since Coat's last major release? Okay, now I have some research to do. That is a long time.

Well. If you have to retopo a gun cylinders probably you will need a bridge to conect both sides. Creating faces would be almost imposible as all cylincers are inside another big one. Also would be a great implement if the bridge has a segment count to divide along the bridged area.

I guess again Maya is what i need here. I miss the bridge in retopo room but i miss even more to have a box modeling room with most common operators such as bridge, bevel, extrude.. and so on.

Thanks for the replys

• Reputable Contributor

Well. If you have to retopo a gun cylinders probably you will need a bridge to conect both sides. Creating faces would be almost imposible as all cylincers are inside another big one. Also would be a great implement if the bridge has a segment count to divide along the bridged area.

I guess again Maya is what i need here. I miss the bridge in retopo room but i miss even more to have a box modeling room with most common operators such as bridge, bevel, extrude.. and so on.

Thanks for the replys

I miss a lot of those same features from Max, but to be perfectly frank, the ability to jump back and for between the two apps, is not much of an issue. As you can see in this video....we don't have a SHELL modifier in the Retopo Room (we are close, with the Free Extrude tool, but not quite there), but I can send my mesh over to Max in just a click or two (via the Applink connection plugin), make the edits I want to make in Max....then quickly send it right back to the Retopo room. So, it a practical sense...they are like an extension of each other.

3D Coat and Photoshop are really tightly connected like that, too. No reason to think you have to pick one or the other to keep a smooth workflow. Nevertheless, having a good set of Poly modeling tools in 3D Coat is optimal, obviously. But if you use the Strokes tool for those cylinders, you can make very quick work. When you create a loop (orthographic view > start outside the object on one end, and end on the outside on the other), 3D Coat will create a loop for any hollow part of your model, at the same time.

So, all you'd need to do is create a cross-section line for each inner barrel (revolver), and one for the outer chamber. Just test it on a simply voxel tube (Primitives tool), and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 1

AbnRanger, you just gave me an idea on adjusting my topology after I'm done in the voxel room. Still is an issue financially, as Max is too expensive for commercial work. Want coat to handle all freelance work.

• Like 1