3DCoat Forums

Import Object With Textures Into Sculpt

FreezeFrame

• Advanced Member

Trying to import an object with textures and uv.

Yes I can do this through the uv room by importing there, the uv's, textures are there and I go to the paint room also.

I would like to go to voxel or surface mode with the uv and texture still on it while editing.

This can be done in Blender 3D btw. A low poly with textures can be used in sculpt with the multi-resolution modifier.

I have poor performance with Blender though. 

Can this be done in 3D Coat. If not I would have to use Blender or take a quick render and use as sketch's in 3D Coat.

• Advanced Member

Great thx. IDK must have been in Voxels and looking for uv's.

I just wanted to see how 123D scaned cars with the texture turned out. Not bad. Not great!! Was a low quality model.

I find it hard to sculpt cars from sketches.

Concept from head, that's different!! 

It's my first go with cars, so....doesn't mean much!

I would do car concepts this way though without any reference images.

Guess I could try and use higher quality car images and"project image" for the car side/front views etc,.. in the paint room, if it doesn't work out for me, I skip car sculpts form sketches and start the low poly way......somewhere. Blender I guess!!

• Reputable Contributor

The projection thing didn't work out....go figure.

It does take some skill with the 2d planes for cars. Did a little. Impressive!!!

Need a spline deformer!!!

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you could "sketch" your image planes directly in 3D Coat, and if you have different views already sketched out (in Photoshop or something), to scale, you could use the SKETCH tool, to give you a decent starting point. What I would recommend is trying to use the Pose tool in "Pen Selection" mode > switch to a pen in the e-panel > soften the selection with your brush (holding SHIFT key down) > and use the either the standard gizmo or use the FFD lattice, to deform the selection as you need.

Hopefully, with the new programmers on board, we'll see some more improvements in the modeling tools...both in the Voxel room and Retopo room

• Advanced Member

No, I don't need the sketch tool. 123D scans are ok.

I just watched about 30  videos. On 30 different softwares!!

Think I will give it a try with one of the following first.  

Rhino, Blender 3D, 3DS Max, (Modo, maybe 1 day!!) and of course will see how

my sculpt with 3D Coat turns out first. When I get back to it.