3DCoat Forums

PIXAR's RENDERMAN Free Non-Commercial Use

RenderMan  21.5
* “Path Traced Subsurface Scattering,” advanced technique for skin and  New artistic controls provide a wide range for new effects in hair and fur.
* Rendering performance gains on scenes with thousands of light sources, or complex combinations of mesh lights, hair and fur, volumetrics, and arbitrary outputs.
* Updated Denoiser enables new compositing workflows and is substantially faster due to advanced code optimizations. |
* UI simplification and workflow improvements for secondary passes, holdouts, material presets, and deep compositing.

RenderMan 22 (Preview),
* “Always-on” rendering embedded in artist applications, responding instantly to geometry, camera, light and material edits delivers   interactive frame rates with the same renderer used for batch renders.
* Fast vectorized OSL shader network evaluation on Intel scalable-SIMD CPUs were also shown.
* RenderMan XPU renders on both CPUs and GPUs concurrently, taking full advantage of workstation resources

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://renderman.pixar.com/news/presentations-renderman-art-and-science-fair-2017

Did you miss the big event? Then come check out the full recap! 

At SIGGRAPH we revealed a number of new technologies including a sneak peek of our hybrid CPU and GPU renderer called RenderMan XPU.

Highlights include talks about Cars 3Rogue One, RenderMan 21.5, and a look forward to RenderMan 22 and beyond. Thanks for everyone who made the event a success!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
f97ea92b-0f09-443c-b5d2-7d4897894e12.jpg

We have a number of exciting developments to share, including the availability of Commercial Beta for RenderMan 22, a release featuring powerful interactive workflows. We also have new stories, a behind-the-scenes look at MPC, and upcoming events planned for Montreal and Annecy. This year is going to be big for RenderMan, and we can't wait to show you what we have in store!

bdb35454-80cd-409a-8407-9cafb3bba011.jpg

Commercial Beta is Here!

We're excited to announce the launch of Commercial Beta for RenderMan 22. We invite all customers on active maintenance to join our Beta Program!

Contact Us

• 1 month later...

https://renderman.pixar.com/whats-new

What's New

RenderMan version 22 is an exciting release that delivers a redesigned core for interactive rendering of shaders, lights, and geometry, as well as new studio tools which provide cutting-edge pipeline groundwork

• 1 month later...

What's New

RenderMan version 22 is an exciting release that delivers a redesigned core for interactive rendering of shaders, lights, and geometry, as well as new studio tools which provide cutting-edge pipeline groundwork

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

What's New

Just downloaded, but man, I wish it was better integrated in 3DCoat. Would be an incredible feature if it worked like one would expect.

No Shadow Catching Material

No Interactive Rendering mode

No Turntable/Multi-frame rendering

Will not render multiple UV's. Only one UV surface will render.

• 7 months later...

What's New

RenderMan version 22.5 features a completely rewritten RenderMan for Houdini plugin and expands the user experience with interactive displacements, OSL hardware acceleration, and sampling improvements

• Reputable Contributor

It's a shame that Renderman integration in 3DCoat is only halfway done. I reported multiple times that it will only render one UV map, so if you have a lower poly texture painted model, with more than one UV, it won't render the whole model. Just one UV. That's broken. It also needs a shadow catching material of some kind. The other limitation is that the interactive render is not enabled/utilized. Just the final render. For this reason, it really makes Renderman integration a big disappointment.

• Advanced Member

When I tried it out I couldn't get it to render anything at all.  After wasting my time fiddling around with it I uninstalled it and haven't tried it since.  I don't see the point of advertising or even realeasing half baked things that would be pretty cool, if they worked.

• Applink Developer

I share my two cents. For me this falls into same category with modelling tools. Would be nice to have but do we really need it. We already have quick access into render room that gives ok results. And final render I do outside of 3d-coat. In my case it's blender. To make 3d-coat fully support renderman is just too big a task. I would spent that time in these:

1. Make render room better.

2. Make mesh and texture transfer between 3d-coat and your main 3d app faster and smoother.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Falconius said:

When I tried it out I couldn't get it to render anything at all.  After wasting my time fiddling around with it I uninstalled it and haven't tried it since.  I don't see the point of advertising or even realeasing half baked things that would be pretty cool, if they worked.

It worked for me, fine...if I tried to render Sculpt Objects. Paint Objects, it would only render one UV. I think the reason it was chosen over other render engines is it's supposed ability to render heavy sculpt objects. 

• Reputable Contributor
26 minutes ago, haikalle said:

I share my two cents. For me this falls into same category with modelling tools. Would be nice to have but do we really need it. We already have quick access into render room that gives ok results. And final render I do outside of 3d-coat. In my case it's blender. To make 3d-coat fully support renderman is just too big a task. I would spent that time in these:

1. Make render room better.

2. Make mesh and texture transfer between 3d-coat and your main 3d app faster and smoother.

Yeah, if 3DCoat could export directly from the Sculpt Room w/ Vertex Color and Spec applied with the Applink, Evee and Cycles would be a better option for final renders.

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Yeah, if 3DCoat could export directly from the Sculpt Room w/ Vertex Color and Spec applied with the Applink, Evee and Cycles would be a better option for final renders.

Yeah!.  And It would be nice if 3d coat offers a feature to decimate mesh based on vertex color, the clearer the boundary between two colors the higher density will be kept, decimation will be performed mostly on solid color or gradient area, because blender doesn't have good performance on running high dense mesh. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
185d4b56-7b87-4fb1-a4ee-7f4e27f9e9e0.png

Hello RenderMan User,

The latest release of RenderMan is here!
RenderMan® version 23 delivers significant improvements to production pipelines with robust support for USD, while also offering new features for look development workflows.

Users with active maintenance and university donations can upgrade today.

Upgrade to Version 23!
caafecf9-c9cc-4375-911c-06c62b90be38.jpg
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Pixar has released RenderMan 23.3 bringing support for baking illumination, both to 2D textures and 3D point clouds.

widen_920x0.jpeg

The latest update is said to bring back functionality cut after the transition from the old Reyes pipeline to RenderMan’s new RIS framework. Also, it extends the software’s original baking capabilities.

The toolkit allows you to use Light Path Expressions to isolate arbitrary components of the global illumination in a scene for baking.

• 1 year later...