3DCoat Forums

Best way to merge these layers

philnolan3d

Somehow the arm of my sculpture got decimated and very ugly.  I have a better version of the arm that is in exactly the same position so I thought I would just merge the good one over top of the ugly one but everything I try seems to freeze up or crash 3DC, occaionally freezing up my computer when it eats all of my 16GB or RAM.  Any suggestions? I think it would be fine if I switched to voxels but i'm afraid I'd lose my nice sharp details.

post-466-0-56844700-1401494943_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Somehow the arm of my sculpture got decimated and very ugly.  I have a better version of the arm that is in exactly the same position so I thought I would just merge the good one over top of the ugly one but everything I try seems to freeze up or crash 3DC, occaionally freezing up my computer when it eats all of my 16GB or RAM.  Any suggestions? I think it would be fine if I switched to voxels but i'm afraid I'd lose my nice sharp details.

You could split that arm to it's own layer and drag&drop the layer to the models pallet. Then just merge it back in (click on the thumbnail), and see if that doesn't help. I usually switch to voxel mode if I want to merge objects together, as it often sucks trying to do so in Surface mode

Yes, if I switch to voxels and want to keep these sharp edges I will need an awfuly high res.

Technically for 3D printing I can just leave it as separate objects. As long as they are overlaping it will print merged, but it would be easier if they were actually connected.