3DCoat Forums

Splines: How to make them do what you want.

Tony Nemo

• Contributor

I haven;t had any luck making the Curve tool create a run of shingles. I thought it was a matter of the axis pointing in the right direction (along the Y axis) so I created my shingle like illustrated.

post-1430-0-33898400-1401648793_thumb.pn

Unfortunately, the axis placement is ignored and the spline serves merely to create a contour and I get a standard issue mailbox.

Does anyone know how to get a row of shingles (besides creating them one by one in a vast collection of render instances)?

• Advanced Member

Tony I tried making a curve tool with stepped repeated shingles/ tiles set to conform - each time I pressed enter/ apply they twisted regardless of my rotation.

Something weird up with curves. I'll need to retest in an older version.

Finally got in to work - took a few attempts to set the correct rotation - when I pressed apply, 3dcoat had a mind of it's own and kept merging

without the set rotation .

I used instancer to shape a tile to fit nicely over an offset instance.I'd saved my tile to the splines library offset down the z.

Shingle/ tile spline mesh selected, applied a 2 point curve set to conform to the pitch of the roof, profile  scale = 0,  I had to flip it -180 degrees before merging in to the scene .I had to try that a few times until it worked.

post-2166-0-53465100-1401677834_thumb.jp

• Like 1