3DCoat Forums

paint by mesh inclination/draft angle

splinewalker

i am painting a terrain, and i wonder if it is possible to make a color fade by draft angle of the mesh.

eg.  that green fades after 45 and white/grey tones come between 45-90.

so that more horizontal planes are green and steep areas stone-like.

cheers,

daniel

• Advanced Member

Hi Daniel, I can't think of any way currently of achieving that in 3DC.

As yet there appears to be no options I can see for freezing by incline or recession , nor painting gradients similarly.

All I can see is a depth limit option on e-panel tools such as the rectangular mode for selecting the depth limit when coloring poly depths to camera view.

That will not give good gradient falloffs save for the softness of the alpha chosen with the rectangular e-panel selection mode.

You can also set up two color gradient fills based on say the vertical distance between pick points but nothing as fancy I think as what you're looking for.

hi,

thanks for your infos and suggestions!

I have to give that a try. It is a while ago i did painting in 3dc so I'll need to have a look to how exactly apply the depth limit when selecting the freeze area.

I guess for now my only chance is to export the subdivided mesh to an external application and somehow setup a shader/draft angle analysis and bake it to the UVs, and getting that as a mask back into 3dc.

For this job I just did it by the eye now. fair enough.

but i think it would be generally an interesting option to have

• Advanced Member

I have to give that a try. It is a while ago i did painting in 3dc so I'll need to have a look to how exactly apply the depth limit when selecting the freeze area.

You'll find it in the e-panel options for the rectangle tool.

As a feature request - forms of height masking / freezing would be very useful I have to agree.

Baking your height blended color shaders to a texture map would be the sweeter option for the present- leaving 3DC to create

added texturing on over layers to add a little variation. 3DC's photoshop style blend layers are very useful for that.