3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Curve controls not working fully

Hammers

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to edit a curve object in 4.1.04A osX, and I can't seem to scale the curve points with the 'E' key. W R Q work ok but E only scales the red point ball itself - not the curve object. It works ok if I double click the point and use the manipulator.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

• Advanced Member

Hammer, to scale the whole curve you double click a curve point and select "apply to whole curve"

This transforms the curve but does not size up the fatness/ radius of the curve just it's overall scale

The action you are doing is transform scaling a singular curve point.

To scale a singular point using the e key you click and drag over a point.

You can also select  e  - hold down shift and hover over a parent curve point - you will see a green arrow - when you hold shift over the next point in the curve chain you will see the arrow point back to it's parent -now you can size scale and radius simultaneously of the child curve points of the chain.

This however sizes the chain but not the parent curve point.  Perhaps there is a way to size also the parent curve with the chain - known to those with knowledge of the darker arts than I.

Forgot to ( add as a side note ) that of course you can size curve points individually by numerical input also.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes what seems to not be working for me is sizing an individual point with the e-key. clicking and dragging resizes the red point itself, but not the curve at that point. It's worked for me before, but I might have to submit my file for a bug report I guess.

• Reputable Contributor

The E key brings up the E-Panel. The hotkeys are not the same as Maya or 3ds Max. Not sure why you are trying to use that combination without checking the manual first. There is a keyboard layout toward the end of the manual.

• Reputable Contributor

Disregard my previous post about the E key. You were right about that. I've never realized there are hotkeys for the different transforms in the Curves tool. I always just use the RMB button technique mentioned previously (MMB + Drag to move the node), or click on the node to invoke the gizmo...and to drop it, just RMB click it.

The E Key is the universal key for bringing up the E-Panel. Not sure why it's assigned differently when using the Curves tool. That's a new one to me.

• Advanced Member

Thx AbnRanger :)

Yeah the gizmo method works OK, but still at some point the curve e-key stopped working for me, and that's the way I learned to use the curves tool most efficiently in the first place.

Will probably try to figure out how to do a bug report soon, unless someone sees something else that I've missed.

• 4 weeks later...