3DCoat Forums

Reset rotation values?

lefty3d

Hey guys, I'm just playing around with 3D-Coat and try to figure out all relevant features for my workflow. One thing I couldn't find anywere is the ability to rotate the object and save the rotation values to reset them after editing.

My intention is to edit reconstructed data from Agisoft Photoscan. Therefore I import a model into 3D-Coat and eliminate all the bad areas using the voxel mode. The problem is that I'm not able to align the model properly in Agisoft Photoscan (Standard)  so when I export it, it has really weird scaling and rotation, which is really hard to work with. So I want to temporary align the model and after cleaning up all the bad issues bring it back to Agisoft Photoscan to re-project all textures. That's why I need to leave the rotation of the model as it is. Maybe somebody can give me a hint?

Greetings

• Reputable Contributor

Try this method to see if it meets your needs for rotation ( not scaling)

Under the Adjust Heading (Left toolbar) select the Transform tool.

Correct the rotation.

Once done cleaning up the model in the Transform's tool dialog box select "Reset Space"

This should return the model to it's original rotation upon import.

Test it a few times with various models before doing all the hard work of cleaning up a model to make sure it meets your needs.

When 3DC exports the model from voxel or surface mode it will not include the uv set for that model just to let you know. Does reprojecting the textures in Agisoft Photoscan do that for you by reappling a new uv set based upon the cleaned up model. I am been thinking of getting that piece of software as well.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Aaahh, thank you!!! It works really well, but one thing I've noticed ist that the rotation pivot is slightly off. So I have to write down the coordinates before rotating. Then, after "Reset Space" type the coordinates in the "Position" field again to bring the object back to the original position.

Agisoft Photoscan creates a new UV map automatically if you use default settings. If you want to use your own uv map, you can choose the option "Keep UV".

Agisoft Photoscan ist just amazing! You can use it for so many things. But also you have to UNDERSTAND HOW it really works. It's all about the INPUT. If you know how to capture your models the right way, you'll get good results like this: https://skfb.ly/zyIp

If you have questions on this topic, feel free to ask me. I've been testing it for a looong time and know all the dirty little tricks already :-)

• Reputable Contributor

Glad to hear it works for you and you only have to reset the position manually.

Thanks for the offer to help with PhotoScan. I want base clay sculptures I create to use as a base for 3D sculpting in 3DC. I will take you up on your offer in the not to near future... B)

• 1 year later...

Hi Photoscan users,

I am now at the same point.

I succeeded to make nice objects with the standard version of Agisoft Photoscan and also closed holes and removed particles with netfabb. Re-import of obj and texturing is possible.

But I really like to use 3DCoat capabilities to improve the models.

Problem is as well the shifted and rotated coordinate system. Unfortunately I am not experienced enough with 3DCoat to understand digman's hint. Can you please explain a bit more?

Best regards