3DCoat Forums

Importing just a simple .obj no fluff

lildragon

Hiya, is it possible to import a straight .obj without the fluff? I've been getting by by importing an existing obj in the voxel room by using [import mesh for voxelizing] and then turning off "Merge without voxelizing" off in the options. I would like a very simple import obj without merging et.c.. I'm a simple guy sometimes I just need a 1...2.. step when working :) Is merging/booleans the way the 3DC works with every mesh? It's honestly a tad frustrating for me to import an external obj only to be met with the lovely boolean fail error :(

thx for any answers!

• Contributor

Voxels are the only medium that doesn't give boolean grief (Surfaces are harder to combine). What is your goal? Maybe you just need paint and can use the original UV. A "strait" OBJ without fluff shouldn't contain booleans but if they do and you want 3DC to treat them as a single object, voxelize them.

• Reputable Contributor

An Obj can contain boolean operations if the obj file has sub-objects included in the model file. Even a simple model can have sub-objects.

Selecting "Merge to separate volumes" in the merge tool dialog box would solve the boolean problem for surface mode.

Otherwise do as Tony suggested and merge all to one voxel layer...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Ok thx guys, Digman I think that's the part that's been tripping me up... It's just different from other standard implementations :)

Well. What other program you use converts your mesh into another geometry type?

There is a fundamental difference in geometry processing - one simply can't compare this to exchanging geo between say Maya and Modo,

even if you would like to have this comparably simple. What you call standard implementations simply doesn't apply to 3DC.

Hey polyxo, what I was getting at was in any other application where you import an .obj, it's simply that an import of a raw mesh without any sort of manipulation. It was a bit confusing for me dealing with voxel/surface mode with importing. I usually have separate meshes group together on export, and digman explained how 3DC interprets this.

cheers