3DCoat Forums

Smooth problem in surface mode

Megisto

• Reputable Contributor

It looks like work done with the "Angulator".

nope, all hand done...  Just waiting for the user to respond... There are several ways of smoothing... None that use the regular smooth brush, though some of powerful smooth in conjunction with other brushes...

The regular smooth brush will leave you with a hopeless bumpy mesh in it's current state. :wacko:

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

The problem lies not so much in the tools as the condition of the underlying mesh. The regular smooth brush will work as expected if the underlying mesh is even but a surface mode object's mesh rarely stays even as we continue to refine the model with both surface and liveclay brushes.

What appears in the mesh structure is what I term, harden waves or harded vortexes.  What I mean is that the mesh is more tightly packed in those areas, some like waves, others like vortexes. Any brush that tends to relax these areas makes a a good smoother as Artman's preset polish brush,  I use my own version of a polish brush,close to artman's and a general brush that I created for smoothing as well. The Smoothing Tool (not the brush) relaxes the mesh. I use Powerful smooth with these as well working as smoothing team. 

I would like Andrew if possible to look at the underlying mesh structure problem. I would hope that he could make a true smoothing brush that would relax and smooth out the areas I just described. I think making a true smoothing brush would be easier than rewriting the mesh ordering structure. I would not want to go back to mesh explosion and tears in the mesh in surface mode.

This really would help the newer user, without the user going through several weeks of frustration until they learn what brushes do the trick for smoothing. A true smoothing brush that takes into account the real nature of the surface mode mesh would in fact help us all...

Main rule of thumb in surface mode is keep your mesh smooth as you work up to the higher polygon count. The more polygons the harder it becomes to correct areas. I know how and of course other experience users as well but not a newer user.

It's Dad's day so I will return next week, maybe with a smoothing video tutorial if health will allow me too...

Edited by digman
  • Like 3