3DCoat Forums

Spherical map

Klane

Hi,

I set out to do something that I thought would be pretty simple, but has stumped me instead.

I am making a model of Jupiter's moon Europa. I thought I'd project a standard spherical image map onto a voxel sphere and sculpt on top of it to add some details on the surface. But I can't find a way to apply a spherical map in the voxel room. I thought I'd be able to do this with a costume shader, but that doesn't look possible.

So I thought I'd do this in the tweak room, but I cant find a way to apply the spherical image in there either.

I have also tried importing a model with the map added as a uv from LW. But the sphere comes in with no image.

I'm sure this isn't as hard as I've managed to make this. :)

Can some one clue me in on how to apply a spherical map?

Thanks

Kevin 

Edited by Klane

• Advanced Member

Ooh nice. I had no idea merged imports could pick up uv map texture info as well as vertex paint.

Klane,

A cheap and dirty way is to apply a texture as a projected spherical map by importing a texture as a mask then apply the mask as "spherical" -  use this to apply bumps when sculpting.

There's also little green dot/ gizmo when in mask mode using this facility that you can right click to better position and adjust the map.

• Like 1

Hi again ...

Yeah I ended up trying both of these methods and both work. Doing it as a spherical projection as a mask takes some more effort though. 

It would be great if there was a shader that applied as a spherical map too though.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Klane