3DCoat Forums

Dragon Sculpt

AlchemistD

• Contributor

Good start! As a "work in progress" many parts look quite finished. A valuable discipline to learn is to develope your entire form in ways that allow you to work with the fastest tool response by keeping to a low resolution as long as possible, If you intend for your dragon to have a body, it should be created in another volume so that that the volume resolution/response time doesn't inherit the resolution of the head, which would seriously constrain your tool response.

Thanks. Yeah, still trying to wrap my head around the workflow. I don't understand the relationship between voxels and surface. I used surface mode for all of this model, and when i attempted to switch back to voxels the resolution didn't seem to carry over (?).  I'm also not yet sure how to add high levels of detail without creating a processor heavy model. So, yeah, still lots to learn. 

• Contributor

That's why you must plan your workflow. Voxels use more resources than Surface but permit easy booleans, Surface is lighter on resources so is where most folks wind up after creating a good low res start. But going back to voxels (often for booleans that you hadn't anticipated) invites a blurring of your work unless Res+ is used sufficiently to enable the change without loss of detail.

• 2 weeks later...