3DCoat Forums

Smoothing OBJ

AlphaGrunt

Hi guys, I'm new to 3DC but am really like it this far. I searched the forum before writing this topic and saw others with similar questions and a few answers but none of which solve my problem..

I am importing an OBJ to voxel room and it is NOT smooth at all.. It doesnt matter if I scale it to 5mil poly or if resample/res + it.. I can't Subdivide on import because it breaks my model for some reason so that's out... Nothing seems to be working here?? The only thing that seems to take those lines out is the smooth brush but that isn't the answer here especially since there is detail on the other side of this ring.

Please help!

It's frustrating because if I import with the setting "merge without voxelising" it comes in perfectly smooth but then I can't smooth any of the edges with all over smooth etc. It's a real problem for me since I'm trying to render a highly reflective object that just highlights all these lines..

post-35606-0-97318700-1403123678_thumb.j

post-35606-0-98792000-1403123997_thumb.j

post-35606-0-72807200-1403124003_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Could try and subdivide in another software first for higher resolution.

Import to 3D Coat, If going to surface, size doesn't make a difference on poly's. Use autoscale.

Resample to around 400, 000 and then go to voxels.

If it breaks on resample, try subdividing and possibly convert to triangles in the exported software. Or start in 3D Coat.

Edited by FreezeFrame

To be honest I really don't understand what the autoscale/scale is even doing? If my model has 1400 poly or 5mil poly it still looks the same in the voxel room?

I'll try and subdivide in rhino before export to see if that helps at all.

Thanks Neo, I'll post my results.

• Contributor

Images 1 and 2 show symptoms of voxel layer not having enough resolution to support your object. Use Res+ or Resample commands to increase it before merging.

If this doesn't help, then merge without voxelization (directly to surface mode) and then convert it to voxels. Make sure to input much greater polycount than 3DC will suggest. Two or three times more should be ok. If not - use more.

---

Ah, one more thing If you're using Rhino then how you tesselate your object before exporting it is very important too. I can't give you any tips here because my MoI3D trial ended a couple of months ago, but I recollect that the tesselation must be balanced. Not too dense and not too sparse. Also, if I remember correctly, quads and n-gons were giving me better results than triangles.

Edited by ajz3d

Images 1 and 2 show symptoms of voxel layer not having enough resolution to support your object. Use Res+ or Resample commands to increase it before merging.

If this doesn't help, then merge without voxelization (directly to surface mode) and then convert it to voxels. Make sure to input much greater polycount than 3DC will suggest. Two or three times more should be ok. If not - use more.

---

Ah, one more thing If you're using Rhino then how you tesselate your object before exporting it is very important too. I can't give you any tips here because my MoI3D trial ended a couple of months ago, but I recollect that the tesselation must be balanced. Not too dense and not too sparse. Also, if I remember correctly, quads and n-gons were giving me better results than triangles.

Yup so that was it, I just needed to fiddle with the export settings when exporting from Rhino thank you! I increased resolution and made the mesh appear more quad based and it worked perfectly!

Thank you guys. I'm LOVING coat and what a supportive community :)

• Advanced Member

I know you've already solved this, but it is important to note that you can resample your layer before you import, so you can increase the resolution the model comes in before committing it to the scene.  I use this, on occasion when it's not coming in cleanly the first time.

• Advanced Member

Also consider the T-Smooth, which means Tangent smoothing.  It's a tool in Surface Mode.  The problem with using that one, in this case is having to stroke over every part of the model, so I still recommend using the technique mentioned above, first.