3DCoat Forums

does coat work well on a surface pro?

parttimer_uk

Hm, I have a Sony Vaio Flip 15A. It uses the N-Trig active pen, which is also what the new Surface Pros have (if you have the older Wacom version, that's much better--I used to have one). Problem is that the Surface Pros have a small screen size--even with high resolution there's a bit of squinting if you turn off that custom display scaling of software.

The N-Trig pen isn't very good, in terms of its two buttons. Horrible, in fact, since you can't customize what the two buttons do--they use the windows stylus interface. One is right-click, the other is...something else that doesn't do anything for 3DC :P. Pressure sensitivity is spot-on, but unless you have a keyboard or 3D mouse to supplement it, there'll be a lot of play with the ui as you sculpt, especially if you don't have ctrl-z/ctrl-y/alt or any of your favorite hotkeys.

Performance-wise, my laptop started struggling with voxels at 7.7mil, but in surface mode with that resolution the operations were pretty good. The new Surface Pros would probably be about the same in terms of performance, though I don't think it has dedicated graphics acceleration so there's probably a performance hit there. You might want to bump down the desktop resolution if everything gets too choppy.

I'm thinking of writing a simple wrapper/interceptor for the pen so that it'll play better with 3D-coat and other paint applications, with on-screen modifier buttons. I haven't gotten around to it yet since I primarily use my desktop and wacom tablet for this stuff.