3DCoat Forums

Base mesh UVing etc.

Hammers

• Advanced Member

post-37883-0-63873600-1403270154_thumb.p

A couple of quick questions:

1. Working on my Monkey King (see my WIP thread), I've brought in a couple of low-poly meshes to the Voxel room, without voxelizing. I'm retopo=ing and UV unwrapping most parts of the model but a couple that are largely unchanged (e.g. his staff and pearl necklace) I'd like to just unwrap as is for painting. 

I haven't been able to figure out how to get these meshes into either the UV or retopo workflow. They show up on the Vox tree (both in Surface mode still), but how do I just use their meshes as-is for unwrapping?

2. A couple of parts I merged into a single vox layers but now they won't retopo easily and I can't separate into their parts even with "separate disconnected pieces" (e.g. hanging rings on end of staff, belts and buckles on his vambraces). Is there a way to approach this or should I just remake the offending parts on separate layers?

• Advanced Member

Retopo as is?

It doesn't matter if you voxelized or not. Retopo from scratch! Unless, like you said you have a low poly cage that might fit! Previous model whatever...

If you already have the low poly, you can import that to the uv room as an object for retopo. Fit and done. Delete the parts you don't want.

You just need a tube and sphere for the retopo your talking about anyways. Select popup windows---objects in the retopo room and fit.

Always separate layers! Good to have copies of some layers for possibility of different versions.

You may be able to copy your model on a separate layer and try and save some of the parts by "cutting off" and rejoining with geometry.....Some I don't think so, if it's a model in one piece on one layer.

You can separate those pieces in another software before exporting for 3D Coat editing. Separate pieces accordingly there first properly. If problems with layers move the piece away from the model in the other software before export. In 3D Coat you can then select it away from the model and send it to a new layer and move it where you want.

Edited by FreezeFrame

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply FreezeFrame. Yeah I think I blew it merging things into the same layer - not thinking ahead. Good suggestions anyway.

And yes I just wanted to get the low-poly from the Voxel room to the UV room to unwrap, without retopo. but can't figure that bit out. As in this screenie, I can't mark seams on the object in the retopo room.

post-37883-0-31833600-1403277007_thumb.p

I could reimport from Blender, but I'd have to reposition and whatnot. Maybe I'll just leave them till I do the Blender Render and use the original low polys there.

Cheers

• Reputable Contributor

You would import your base mesh for the necklace not into the uv room but in the retopo room.

Retopo room \ Retopo \ Import

If necessary, line it up with the surface \ voxel object then press then enter key.

You will be asked if you want to snap the necklace mesh to the surface of the sculpted mesh.

Choosing yes or choosing no is depended upon the kind of mesh you are snapping to. I generally select no because my base mesh fits already.

On more complex meshes, you can have vertices snap in places they do not belong. If it not too bad you can clean it up.

You can do everything in 3DC once you understand the workflow...

Concerning your last post, I sent you a pm as well, these type of question would be best answered in a 3DC one on one session...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

To mark seams on a retopo mesh, you have to be on that retopo mesh layer in the retopo room.

Hide all the other voxel \ surface layers you do not want to retopo or mark seams at the moment.

Hide all the other retopo mesh layers too under the Groups tab...

Choose the retopo layer that your mesh resides on.

Now you can work on that one retopo mesh, creating seams etc...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Thanks digman - this got me where I needed:

I right click on the layer with the low poly object in the scene > export obj

then retopo>import - place (without snapping) et voila!

I'm not unwrapping the pearls anyway I've decided, but will use this method on the staff and straps and a couple of other bits. Great :)

Might be cool if there were a one step workflow for this, rather than exporting-importing into the same room, but no biggie...

Cheers.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks digman - this got me where I needed:

I right click on the layer with the low poly object in the scene > export obj

then retopo>import - place (without snapping) et voila!

I'm not unwrapping the pearls anyway I've decided, but will use this method on the staff and straps and a couple of other bits. Great :)

Might be cool if there were a one step workflow for this, rather than exporting-importing into the same room, but no biggie...

Cheers.

You lost me for a moment, then I went Ah, you are exporting the original base mesh that you merged into the voxel room(surface mode) but you are exporting it from the retopo room using the vox tree layer tab. Then just importing it right away again. I think that is what you are saying that is...  :blink:  If you are exporting it that way then it would be triangulated on export.

If that is true then here is another workflow to consider.

The below is just an one example:

1.Create a lower polygon staff in blender and export that as a obj model.

2.Use the merge tool in the voxel room to bring the model in as a voxel or surface mode object. Do not transform the object yet.

3.Now go to the retopo room and and import the same low polygon object using the workflow described earlier. Retopo room \ Retopo \ Import.

4.Once done return to the voxel room.

5.Select the transform tool and in the top menu bar of the interface select  "Conform Retopo Mesh"

6.Now when you transform the staff, say to place in someone's hand the retopo mesh will move with the voxel or surface mode object.

7.When done, you have your retopo mesh already in the retopo room ready for adding extra edge loops and polygons if needed or just marking seams and unwrapping.

Another example.

If you plan on setting up your scene in Blender, then merged those said objects as separate volume layers and follow the first three steps outlined above and of course marking seams etc...

The pm offer still stands.... much faster...

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

Thanks digman again. Yeah that sounds like a good plan - next time when I can see more than 1 step ahead I guess...

I've got another quick Q as I'm now done with retopo and unwrapping. Will pm you. 

Cheers.

Edited by Hammers