3DCoat Forums

Many Shaders acts very oddly in the viewport

Many Shader Acting Very oddly

Hi There long time i haven't posted there, but any i get into trouble with 3dcoat, i hadn't open it for few weeks and then when i open any versions of 3dcoat that I had installed on my computer, (steam 4.1.04A,4.1.08X 4.1.09X)

First my specs are ;
CG : Ati radeon HD 6850
tested with several Drivers and the lastest from AMD, the problem occurs in OGL and DX 64bit or 32 bits( didn't test out with cuda version)

This problem affects All rooms ( paint, voxel, render).

The problem :

Many shaders acts oddly in the viewport, in surface mode easpecially.

What i am doing, is just opening a model in surface mode ( obj, fbx, tf2 models provides with the steam version are impacted too ).
Models exported from maya LT get the same issue.

Mainly lamblight_depht, depth, redwax, bronze, picmat works correct some do not.
I show you now how it look in my viewport with lamblight_depth shader.

look at how the polygons looks with a such of distortion on the lightning over the surface of the polygons, the culling also act very oddly.
b407a6ee02.jpg
now if i subdivide  one time :
3bbed1af73.jpg
some more subdivision applied :

476456df3d.jpg

3 weeks than i am not capable to resolve that issue, and make my pro version of 3dcoat entirely unusable, i didn't get that issue before, just since the last month, i thought it would be the catalist drivers, so i get back on the previous version and it doesn't fix anything.
i also tried to delete the 3d-coat-v4 directory from User/profile/documents.
Since i did that, all the preview thumbnials appears very diferent from before changinf from  the exmaple on the left  to the second exmaple on the right
069f78ad89.jpg

i get stuck please guys help me :/

do you have chance to open the same model in a comp with nvida to see the difference ?

just to check if its software or hardware related.

-------------------------------

or...

could be a bug

go menu -> voxels -> disable 'incremental render'. It's bug but I'm to lazy to fill this in on mantis ;D

0001442: Visual Artifacts working on sculpts - disable 'incremental render' solve it

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1442

No unfortunately i have no chance to try with a different GPU card, and disabling the incremental render as you suggested to do , do not fix the issue at all.

I already have seeked for some similar isue on the forum but nothing match the current issue i encounter.

What is the most annoying is that for a long time i hadn't get any troubleshoot with 3dcoat with the current GPU i have on my computer :/

Thank you, Carlossan, i just hope that Andrew will thrown an eye on this place :/

humm, look like unistalling 3dcoat from steam and then delete user\my_profile\3dcoat-v4

I just have tested out a beta version i had on my hdd (4.1.08) and the distortion on the polygon has disappeared.

unfortunately, reinstalling the steam version and launch it  make the issue happen again. so i will remove it from steam again. and will wait for a new release on steam.

But i still have a very odd issue with the camera clipping in the viexport.

i will post some screens today, when i will be done with the 3dcoat installation ( 4.1.09).

Back, with some more information. First its important to understnad that the problem i encounter are two  combined problem.

the stranges lines that appears as distorded on the polygons surface, is probably a problem with the SSAO pass of the shader ( ogl/DX)

I remind me very similar problem when i try few month ago to add a post process shader in to Source Engine, to add the SSAO, it resultat into bad data into the render target.

the second problem i get, is about the depth pass in the render target, that is probably also linked to the Screen base position and scre up everything in my viewport.

39b8170131.jpg

I dont know how to fix that, that really annoying, and bother me alot , i don't know with what shader i should use instead. Unfortunately all the shaders that have depth informations gets the same issue in the viewport.

what should i do ? the only thing i should have done since the shaders are all broken, is an update of my driver, but i have tested  out  some older catalist driver, and get the same probleme everytime.

Edited by fuzzzzzz

nope i thought it would have been enough to post on this forum.

i have packed my user /profile/documents/3d-CoatV4 and pushed the archive on my dropbox, the link is the one below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyg6l86z5lsr07a/fuzzzzzz_3D-CoatV4.rar

there is two interesting file to dig out, log.txt and unknownshaders.txt? i am not very good at Shader authoring, but i got some base knowledge about it, and i am almost sure about what the problem come from ( Depth and SSAO)

Note that today i had tested out two older catalyst drivers, 13.12 and 13.4 without any progress , this is added to the drivers i already tested and gave me the same issue ,

I will now contact Andrew at support@3d-coat.com, and drive him onto that message, we will see :)

• Like 1

The depth buffer in 3D-Coat is represented by RGBA render target - float numbers of depth are packed into integers. The precision is good within certain range and gets worse on small numbers. The aliasing is visible only when camera is very close to the model. But even in close shots the aliasing doesn’t affect rendering (please see the first attached screenshot).

The clipping of the camera is caused by Z-near plane. All perspective cameras include Z-near plane in their perspective transform matrix. The distance from the eye to the Z-near is based on the typical scale of models in the scene. If Z-near is too small the precision of Z-buffer gets worse. If Z-near is too far we have annoying clipping.

In other words the problems you have encountered (aliasing and annoying clipping) are because your models are too small. Your screenshot with sword reveals that the model occupies less than one square, the camera is forcedly too close and thus Z-near plane clips the model. To see the usable scale of models use “View>Show 3D grid” menu option. To understand the relation between aliasing/clipping and the model size use “Voxels/Objects/Merge/Select mesh/head.obj” on empty scene and try to scale it during import to be very small (the model occupies small portion of the grid cell) or scale it to be normal sized (the model occupies several grid cells). The second screenshot illustrates that.

To experiment with data from depth buffer and to remedy aliasing on small models it is possible to add “bias” to the shader (please see the third screenshot).

post-848-0-51326600-1404475884_thumb.jpg

post-848-0-23776600-1404475889_thumb.jpg

post-848-0-79421200-1404475893_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Thank you fort he help it's greatly appreciated.

1. steepy surface issue is now fixed with the additionnal Bias , so i added this variables into OGL and DX shader, DX look ok just that the shadow are a bit birghter, but its acceptable to work with.

2.  the clipped faces issue continue to happen, indifferently of  the scaling (low / normal / high) of the model i am working with.

my steps :

in maya , and so you see how i setup my scaling units.

centimeter , one grid line every  100 centimeter, and 1 subdivision all the 10 centimeters, so th emodel is 120 centimeter ( 1m20)

http://puu.sh/9Wznf/6ca0d297bc.png

in 3dcoat preference there is no options to define a default units system, , when you dorp a modle it will aways use the default units mensure (millimeters) so 120 centimeter become 120 millimeters.

change de unit measurement units to cnetimeter do not rescale the model we alrady drop on the scene.

the good conversion is about to scale by 10 the model,  but in 3dcoat it would be 1000.00 , as 100.00 is the default value and is equal to 0.00 with no scale at all ( pretty annoying).

http://puu.sh/9WA1I/dbe5ec181b.png

but still result like that :

http://puu.sh/9WA0t/368564c213.png

now if I scale my model by 10 in maya (I did not forget to freeze the tranfromation ;o) :

http://puu.sh/9WARp/b091bbd099.png

the issue persists , i also tried to scale the scene using voxels > scene edit scale, no way  :/

thank you for helping me, feel a bit deseparate with this critical bug :/

Nicolas

How have you imported the model? It has insufficient density of voxels. To fix the problem with the clipping open your "Sword" scene. Select "File > Export > Export object > Sword.obj (or any other name) > Cancel" (do not reduce the polycount). Clear the scene by selecting "File > New > Don't save". In the start dialog select "Voxel sculpting > Open File > Sword.obj", scale it by dragging the cube in the center, click Apply. Select any other tool (like Grow) to dismiss the "Merge dialog". Select any "Depth" shader and the clipping dissappears.

post-848-0-77882700-1404665231_thumb.jpg

post-848-0-68127700-1404665234_thumb.jpg

post-848-0-45758000-1404665237_thumb.jpg

post-848-0-60865500-1404665239_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

sorry long time has passed now, thx you alot of the help, i now own a new GPU card,  GTX 760 4gb ( msi twin frozer)

well this problem this still  remain oO

84a7b97544.jpg

the AA is horrible, and i get some very strange artefact on the surface along the edges :

1e70a3b707.jpg

I know that the mesh is not intended to stay in that state with sculpting task, but everytime i have a clean lowpoly i want to load in 3dcoat, espacially for hard surfacemodeling, i have no clue how to subdivide correctely, there is no way for this i must to create an instance of my low poly and insert edge loop  in maya, so why whould i need 3dcoat for hard surface modeling ? it work better when i start from the scratch with voxel and then after that a apply a retopo, but that will be the retopogized mesh that will look a little screwed because we cant to snap the poly and point we create in retopo room i perfect geometric shape that match math algo.

I will post on that topic , it will illustrate what i would mean :)

I really appreciate the help

• Contributor

yes sure i can only do that ^_^

if you are  working on assets like those in pictures non-depth shader will absolutly not hinder your work....what I mean is you benefit nothing from using a depth shader there  (they are better for organic hires  LC sculpting )