3DCoat Forums

Trying to encircle a figure with a curve

Ghastly

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to encircle the limbs of a figure with a curve which is just fine when I'm doing the front of the figure but as soon as I rotate and start laying down the curve on the back of the figure it keeps selecting the nodes of the curve I laid down on the front. I've tried setting Ignore Back Faces and the depth but it keeps selecting the front nodes. Is there a way to lay down a curve where it will ignore adjustments until you've finished? It's quite frustrating.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm trying to encircle the limbs of a figure with a curve which is just fine when I'm doing the front of the figure but as soon as I rotate and start laying down the curve on the back of the figure it keeps selecting the nodes of the curve I laid down on the front. I've tried setting Ignore Back Faces and the depth but it keeps selecting the front nodes. Is there a way to lay down a curve where it will ignore adjustments until you've finished? It's quite frustrating.

Can't tell without seeing what's going on in the scene. Don't know if you are talking about the Curves tool in the Voxel room or the Strokes tool in the Retopo room. I don't usually have trouble with the former, but the latter is definitely something Andrew needs to address. If you have a lot of strokes on a model, it's gets really tricky trying to avoid clicking on curves on the backside of the model

• Advanced Member

It was in the voxel room. I ended up getting it done but it was really tricky and I had to keep angling the model just right so that it wasn't aligned with the nodes on the rear. It made it very difficult to get an even circlet encompassing the circumference of the leg.

And yeah, the strokes tool can be really tricky.

Edited by Ghastly

Are you talking about the curve tool or the newish spline tool in the e panel?  I control  points or nodes through the edit points table.  I lay the curve or spline down as best that I can and then go into the table and adjust the points before I finalize anything.  For the Spline tool in the epanel you will find the edit points table under that drop down menu (the triangle) that pops up when ever you activate that brush mode.  Under the curves tool it is located under the tool options.