3DCoat Forums

Anybody know how to make glass? Tansparent glass but with a visible edge.

Sladus

I assume you're talking about 3D object with a glass material? If so and depending on what package you're trying to do this in, set transparency to about 90%, give it a reflective surface with a gradient controlling the reflectivity using incidence angle as the controller. Make the gradient very tightly skewed toward the edges at around 90 degrees. That'll get you most of the way.

This can't be done in 3DC, since it doesn't have any kind of materials for glass, or gradient controls like this. If you use Modo or LW I can help you a little further. Hope that helps!

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try. I would have responded sooner but I work on a hospital EHR system and have been super busy. Thanks again.

• Advanced Member

What app are you planning to use to render it or show it off?

For what it's worth, you could simply export the UV map.  Load it into Photoshop or GIMP.  For the transparency, save out a .png with 0% opacity or whatever format that supports opacity in the app you'll be loading it in or use just black for full transparency.  Load that into the opacity or transparency channel.  For the specularity, you can use either full on white or somewhere between almost black and white to show a level of reflectivity or shine for their respective channel.  Doing this in 3D Coat may not be the best plan, but you can certainly show it off in many other apps.

Thanks for the help. I'm using it in UE4. Still working on it. I've had some issues with Light Mass settings, but I've worked through some of them.

• 3 years later...
  • Reputable Contributor
19 hours ago, roycebarber said:

Quick question about the glass3 texture posted above. I just paid $3.00 for a similar texture on sale here: https://gumroad.com/l/VuDn
So I just want people to be careful when posting textures which may be pirated. If it's not pirated, please forgive my response. 

The glass3.3dcpack posted above contains a shader, whereas the texture for sale on gumroad is a smart material.  Also the link was posted in June 2014, about 6 months before PBR/Smart Materials were introduced in 3D Coat. ;)

• Thanks 1