3DCoat Forums

Tips on baking to low poly

worldcrafter

• Reputable Contributor

any tips on how i might remove these nasty white bits on the low poly bake

2jdrzty.png

Is it the edges around the UV islands? If so, I think it is some kind of display glitch, cause e-mailed Andrew about it and never got an answer/resolution....but later I found that if you hide all the paint layers, then unhide them, it sort of resets it. It's annoying and needs to be prevented, somehow.

• Advanced Member

No its not an edge of a uv island, its where there is thin a gap between the 2 surfaces on the high-poly sculpt; this meant it couldn't scan it very well, i found if I made the texture map super high res (8192X8192) those lines where much thinner.

BUT my pc is nowhere near good enough to allow me to paint and edit those highres layers freely (so laggy and unstable, to much ram usage, and i have a crappy integrated graphics card to top it of)

any other idea how i might get rid of these lines?

Edited by worldcrafter

• Reputable Contributor

One picture with no workflow information, well It like telling someone to drive to Comfort, Texas with no directions how to get there and no map. More workflow information needed.

Like...

What version of 3DC you are using.

Is this one voxel or surface mode object or several. Very important to know...

A picture of your retopo mesh and uv seams.

A picture of the bake scan settings plus how the scan cage fits the object/ objects.

PPP, MV, PPP with displacement or Ptex merging.

One uv map or several.

Or if possible zip the 3DC file and upload here or one of the download sites like Mediafire so others can troubleshoot...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Agree with digman, here. I like to try and help, but I find myself attempting to do so less and less. It's mainly because it's just too time-consuming and frustrating to try and figure out what's going on with a person's scene with scant info to go on. I remember in college having to ask the Instructor or lab assistant to come help with a problem. It's no different here on the forums. The person HAS to be able to see what's going on, just like the instructor or lab assistant would. Some questions I could ask them from across the room, but when you have a PROBLEM, 99% of the time they are going to want to take a look at the UI/Scene and see what you have selected.

I found out early on that the best/quickest way to get a solution was to record your screen while you show the steps you took to arrive at the problem. Same goes with bug reporting to Andrew. You can quickly show a screen grab in 3D Coat by clicking ALT + SHIFT + S, but many times a screen recording is so much better. Lots of free options. Jing even lets you upload your video content to their storage site (screencast.com) for free, too. You could also use GoogleDrive to store your video and link to it in your post.

• Advanced Member

Agreed.  There's just not enough info to go on.  It would help to see the sculpt, the retopo and UVs, and then to know what your process to send it to the Paint Room was.  I know that sounds like a lot, but it's difficult to ascertain what's causing that without more info.  I never recommend baking above 4K maps (and usually not even that high), unless you've got a special requirement for it.  I don't see this as an occasion for that.

For what it's worth, that doesn't look like a bake error to me, but you could try to adjust your inner/outer scan settings.  I suggest getting your inner setting close to the shell or inside it more by lessening the inner scan amount.  Taking the outer scan far enough out to encompass all the details, which doesn't look like it needs to be all that much different from the inner scan depth.  Try to remember that your outer scan depth is an outer cage from which rays are projected to hit all details until they either collide with the mesh or hit the inner cage.  Bake errors often come in the form of black splotches...which is why I don't see this as a bake error.  Perhaps the topology needs work. Adding an extra span in that area or selecting the existing span and beveling it may help.

Edited by alvordr