3DCoat Forums

Extremely simple beginner question

IceCaveMan7

Hello, I've been using 3dcoat for about a week. Sometimes when I'm trying to create new voxels, particularly with something like the curves tool...I run into a problem. I can't get the voxel "mold" or container to commit into actual voxels. I try the enter or return key and I expect the program to fill the curves with voxels but it doesn't do anything. Then when I switch tools I have nothing but emptiness. I'm sure this has been asked before...could someone briefly help me out?

• Advanced Member

What version are you using?  Are you in Voxel mode or surface mode?  If voxels, there should be a preview in the merge menu saying what the approximate poly count will be when you commit.  What does that show?  You might have to make your object bigger.

It could also be a bug.  I had that problem with the sphere primitive a few versions ago.

• Advanced Member

I was just learning shapes for clothes. It shows here in the promo. Really fast! Not sure if that's what you mean.

Been using a little while I think you have to be in blob and grow to create shapes on a vox layer with restricted brushes on those features  . Whatever else IDK.

There's free form stuff for making any shapes in the primitives btw,.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh4oYm5gWDM

2:00 min into......

Edited by FreezeFrame

• Reputable Contributor

Hello, I've been using 3dcoat for about a week. Sometimes when I'm trying to create new voxels, particularly with something like the curves tool...I run into a problem. I can't get the voxel "mold" or container to commit into actual voxels. I try the enter or return key and I expect the program to fill the curves with voxels but it doesn't do anything. Then when I switch tools I have nothing but emptiness. I'm sure this has been asked before...could someone briefly help me out?

When you have issues like this, it could be a number of different things, and to diagnose it, it's no different than working in the computer lab in college and asking your instructor or lab assistant to come help. They are going to want to look at the screen and see what's going on. Cannot do that blindfolded. You have an option in the HELP menu to take a screen grab of the UI. I always just hit ALT + SHIFT + S. It uploads the image to the server and you can then click on the image > Copy (CTRL +C) the web address. Then in your post(s), you can see the little image icon (among the others) above your text. Click on that > paste the address > ok, and that screen grab will be embedded in your post.

An even better option is to use a free screen recorder app and record the process you are going through. Jing is one option and will even host the video, free. If we can't help, you can always send that same recording to Andrew (support@3d-coat.com).

• Reputable Contributor

By the way, what I suspect is going on, is you currently have a Voxtree layer selected that is hidden or ghosted. Will happen every time, you try to create something...curves, primitives, merge tool. Watch this tutorial and see if you don't come away with a better understanding of the Voxel workspace, and 3D Coat's general workflow

https://showmethatagain.s3.amazonaws.com/3D-Coat/intro_to_3D-Coat_P01_overview.mp4

I appreciate all the responses. I'll try it again the morning. Just a bit about myself...I've used different 3d programs for over a decade and taught software programs going back to the early 90's. So while I am a newbie to Coat, it's not my first rodeo in the larger scheme. That said, with 3dcoat I'm a humble baby all over again, lol. I'll try again tomorrow.

• Reputable Contributor

I appreciate all the responses. I'll try it again the morning. Just a bit about myself...I've used different 3d programs for over a decade and taught software programs going back to the early 90's. So while I am a newbie to Coat, it's not my first rodeo in the larger scheme. That said, with 3dcoat I'm a humble baby all over again, lol. I'll try again tomorrow.

Understood, but anyone new to 3D Coat might easily misunderstand how Voxels are implemented in 3D Coat. It has a 2nd component...an adaptive mesh that conforms to the volume. The user isn't actually seeing the Voxels, themselves...but the mesh that conforms to them.

• Advanced Member

AbnRanger is right.  It would be easier to actually see the problem.  The way you describe it is very clear to me, but I'm not having the same problem.  Watching you do it might highlight something for an experienced 3D Coat user's eye.