3D Coat Forums
Carlosan

What Are You Working On ?

I was being bothered by the question of knurling on steel objects and so I started playing with it in a variety of manners. Finally I came to 3d coat and started playing with its voxel booleans, using a beveled cylinder I'd made and then trying to use the axial tool in combination with the pose tool to wrap cutting edges around the cylinder diagonally which proved to be futile. 

dFiGqjZ.jpg

Digman took me in hand and showed me several of my errors, not the least of which was trying to used a dysfunctional 13A beta that was installed on top of many other versions and not working properly as a result. A fresh install and then making my cutting tools into models which were then put in place with the Symmetry tool that allowe numerous (45?) copies. 

thEsDG2.jpg

That finally got me straight but then I got an introduction to PBR and the new render room which I must say really surprised and impressed me. Zbrush has nothing like this.

Old Gun Metal is very nice and now I'm looking forward to this new PBR business quite a bit.

11041949_797888636959040_679816757021084

No Maya, just straight up 3d Coat which is a pleasure to work with once you know  what you're doing.

And when Andrew is finished with all this PBR stuff I hope he brings in a full set of Polygon and Open Sub D modeling tools and polygonal hair tubes on splines...I really don't want to have to learn a whole bunch of other programs' work flows to make the stuff I want. I'd like to just do everything seamlessly in 3d Coat. Oh yes and when Pixar Renderman 19 comes out I hope someone makes a nice 3d Coat bridge to it  It would be nice to have better deformers too.

That would be awesome.

:D

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 4

Digman and I were playing on Skype with my newly installed free Pixar Renderman and he sent me this sculpt of a girl he was working on to include in a render.

FTaAePy.jpg

Pixar Disney Glass..

3qLtfHA.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 2

First post in the WIP forum:

Capture.png

One-day work in Maya and imported it into 3D coat for further sculpting. What do you guys/girls, think so far?

• Like 1

First post in the WIP forum:

Capture.png

One-day work in Maya and imported it into 3D coat for further sculpting. What do you guys/girls, think so far?

When I first started with 3d coat I used to do my prepatory work in Maya too. Now I'm far more inclined to do it all in 3d coat. 

You should overcome your aversion to it and just try working from scratch in 3d coat; you'll learn it's toolset faster that way.

Yeah, Im learning the sculpting tools and they work way better than Maya 2016 new sculpting tools. Now Im trying to do the sofa from scratch in 3D Coat :)

I was planning to use 3D Coat for smoothing out the cornes on my objects from Maya and adding details. EDIT: Heres the first try on a sofa model from scratch:

Capture.png

Edited by Aasmund

Great work in this thread! I'm getting more comfortable with 3DCoat and am in the middle of a traditional favorite subject. Not the most dynamic pose, more a study of anatomy and getting to know the brushes. Current favorite is Rapid2.

post-39209-0-82406500-1440180870_thumb.j

Edited by BringItBack
  • Like 2

Been jumping between SD and 3D Coat for my PBR textures and I have to say 3D Coat is winning me over.

Now I can import the whole set in as one object and separate them by poly group then export with one click.

It makes it super quick to do. Bit did take me a while to get the normal going in the right direction. This is a

3D Coat render with sharpen filter applied. This is bound for DAZ3D for the new Genesis 3 Female figure.

xV8PBbk.jpg

• Like 5