3DCoat Forums

Numpad keys

arumiat

• Advanced Member

Hi guys

I'm on my second laptop where I've realised that thenumpad keys have never worked in terms of giving front, back, left, right projections. I'd really like to get this fixed as although I've gotten use to it I'm wasting loads of time manually circling my models. Do I need to be hitting a checkbox or something to enable these? I've gone into preferences and even tried to assign them as new events, no luck though.

Thanks in advance

A

• Reputable Contributor

You can access the different views through the CAMERA menu, at the top of the UI, directly next to the Navigation bar. If you NUMBER Pad doesn't work, you could just go to the Camera Menu each time and choose the view or go to one view and create a Camera Shortcut for it > do the same for the others.

You can alternatively create a Camera shortcut by hitting the CTRL +  UP ARROW. Then you can cycle between them by clicking CTRL + R ARROW (next shortcut) or CTRL + L ARROW (previous shortcut)

• Advanced Member

Thanks AbnRanger

I'd like to actually assign these camera shortcuts to my numpad so that each time I go into 3DC the numpad works as standard, front, right top ortho etc.

I can't see how to do that. I cant seem to assign views in the customizer navigation menu,

Bizarrely the '7' on the numpad takes me to an obliqued view of the scene.

• Advanced Member

The numpad keys on my laptop work & function normally. Eg I can go into Blender and my numpad keys are automatically mapped to various viewing angles

However although the numpad keys are supposed to work within 3DC for the same thing, as suggested in carlosans post, they don't. How can I enable this functionality, or remap the function to view my mesh from the left, right, top, bottom, back to the numpad keys?

post-38412-0-26053300-1406153695_thumb.j

Edited by arumiat

• Reputable Contributor

The numpad keys on my laptop work & function normally. Eg I can go into Blender and my numpad keys are automatically mapped to various viewing angles

However although the numpad keys are supposed to work within 3DC for the same thing, as suggested in carlosans post, they don't. How can I enable this functionality, or remap the function to view my mesh from the left, right, top, bottom, back to the numpad keys?

attachicon.gifpost-10142-0-16830400-1406145922.jpg

They work correctly, here....by default. If they don't work on your laptop, it's not the application's fault. Just because they might work in Blender doesn't mean them not working in another app = something wrong with that application. By default all the Camera Views are mapped to your Number keys. Don't know what else you can do if your laptop is not cooperating

• Advanced Member

They work correctly, here....by default. If they don't work on your laptop, it's not the application's fault. Just because they might work in Blender doesn't mean them not working in another app = something wrong with that application. By default all the Camera Views are mapped to your Number keys. Don't know what else you can do if your laptop is not cooperating

Certainly not looking to assign blame. Purely trying to explain what's going on. That's pretty weird though no? So is there no way to manually re-assign the numpad keys to the camera views?

PS it's been the case on 2 separate laptops now, so I'm thinking my 3DC config is more likely to be wrong

Edited by arumiat

• Reputable Contributor

Well, I am not saying the objective is a blame game of some sort. Just that the implication is there is something wrong with the application, since it appears to work with Blender, but not in 3D Coat. I would send an e-mail to Andrew (support@3d-coat.com) and ask what to do, because it doesn't happen on desktop PC's. Must be something to do with the dual key assignments on laptops.

• Advanced Member

From Andrew:

Any hotkey may be reassigned. Just hover any menu item and press END. Then press desired hotkey.

I had to use the end key located on the number 1 on my numpad for this work. Finally have the hotkeys setup, bo.

• Reputable Contributor

From Andrew:

Any hotkey may be reassigned. Just hover any menu item and press END. Then press desired hotkey.

I had to use the end key located on the number 1 on my numpad for this work. Finally have the hotkeys setup, bo.

Strange that you would have to do that manually, when it's already assigned to them by default.

• 2 years later...

I was always struggling to have my own camera shortcuts working.

The predefined views work perfectly with the number pad, but when I store one of my own views, I get the message: "camera stored at #1" for instance.

But then pressing the number 1, doesn't do anything.

I guess I'm doing something silly,..... but what?

Regards, Robert

• 1 month later...

Im working on a Lenovo Laptop; I find that my number keys change the viewport rendering type; 1-8 different kinds of wireframe, flat colour and rendered etc

I changed the Hotkey for Front view to F but pushing F has no effect. 

I am running as Admin.. any other ideas what Im doing wrong?

Thanks for the very fast reply Phil!!

It did give me a pop up explaining tha tthe key was already in use, I chose to Redefine it, which was reflected in the menu as [F], but didnt work when pressed.

However SHIFT + F does work, problem (more or less) solved! Thanks again!