3DCoat Forums

Time is running out: Decision to be made :)

steveFromUK

Hi Guys,

My trial is coming to a end. My final impression of this software is extremely positive, in fact I love it. I first wanted a painting/texturing tool to compliment modo but after playing around  and asking questions here 3DC is definitely a lot more than that to say the least.

What was a little frustrating at first was technical side of importing/exporting between 3DC and modo which most of my time of my trial period was spent on researching/ experimenting with different workflows. Minor issues I had mainly occurred in modo after importing image map from  3DC. This involves  having to manually adjusting gamma settings, re-adjusting UV projection settings and altering specular settings (spec colour to spec amount etc). 

The experience within 3DC regards sculpting, texturing and painting is faultless, it took me no time  at all to pick up the basics, no steep learning curve. 

As a hobbyist I'm probably looking at the educational version (at least to start with).  Was just wondering if there are other hobbyist out there that soon found this version a limitation.

Also love to hear views from anyone coming from ZBrush background , how it compares etc. 

Also I'm aware of the 2k texture maps and  a 7 layer limitation but would this be Texture layers or Voxtree layers, or both?

Anyway thanks :)

Coming from Zbrush, there are a few things that I miss. Mostly the deeper brush engine with auto masking. I can live without it but I would definitely like to see that kind of functionality added to 3d-coat.

In my opinion 3d-coat offers a better more robust core sculpting workflow and more complete solution than Zbrush.

However if you are more interested in producing to what amounts to illustrations done with 3d models I would consider going with Zbrush over 3d-Coat because of the renderer.

• Contributor

I am a hobbyist, too.

At the beginning i was think about the edu version, too, but at the end i choose the pro version.

As far as i could see, it is it worth in all areas for me.

Maybe professional artists would choose zbrush for the sculpting part.

The limitations are only in the paint room.

I am a hobbyist.  I tried the program and really liked it.  Then I bought the educational version.  I used that for a year or two and it worked fine for me.  It went on sale aound Christmas and I bought the full version.  I have never regretted owning 3d coat.  I love the program. 

• Advanced Member

The paint layer and texture limitations, are only in the paint room.  I don't consider myself a hobbyist, anymore, but I bought the educational version and realized how much I wanted the commercial, afterwards.  I bought it for Mac/PC, but have considered adding the Linux version:

1) I want to further support Andrew.

2) I never know when I'll need to run this off a Linux build

3) Not many 3D software packages can run off all 3 (PC/Mac/Linux), so you get it everywhere

As a game artist, I don't find that 2K textures are all that limiting, but some might.  Granted, I'm not limited at all to 2K now, but rarely ever go above that.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

I used the ed version for a year before I felt I needed to upgrade. Navigation is more fluid than zbrush for me, seems to be around  8-12 fps for my computer with z ( like watching an anime cartoon!) , pretty fluid in Coat.( 5 year old quad core).

I use mostly 2k and 4k maps, my comp ground to a halt when I tried 8k! .