3DCoat Forums

Hello and question on Reference-Images

Petra

Hello all!

My name is Petra. I‘m a newbie to 3D-Coat. I‘m also pretty old, so my learning curve is a bit flattened ;-)

Over the last years I did all my modelling in C4D (a program which I love dearly), but when I saw the retopo and UV-layout tools of 3D-coat, I just had to download the free trial which I find quite impressive!!! So now I‘m testing the application to find out if I want to buy the software. After a bit of manual reading and tutorial watching, I‘m trying to build my first model with 3D-coat to somehow make sense of the unfamiliar workflow. I already found out, that I will have a lot of questions on the way and I‘m hoping, that I will find some help here:-)

On the technical side - I‘m an Apple user:

Mac Pro

Processor  2 x 2,66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

Software  OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

Here is my first question:

I started the project (a deer) by placing reference-images on the x- and y- planes. Works wonderfully but now that the images are in place, I can't seem to get rid of the transform-widget. I tried to use "camera/background/edit image placement", hoping this would toggle the display - it does not.  Do you have a hint for me?

With friendly greetings from Schmölau (Germany)

Petra

• Contributor

Hello Petra, I'm glad you're with us.

If you are refering to the reference image transform gizmo, then you can get rid of it by clicking the Close button located in the reference images edit box. To get that window back (and transform gizmo along with it), go to [Camera]->Background->Edit image placement. I hope it helps.

post-12523-0-25082900-1406721316_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d

Hello ajz3d,

yes, this helps. Thank you!

In the meantime I also found a Quicktip (Notes for using Image Planes) that explains that there is a difference between setup and use of image planes.