3DCoat Forums

Importing an FBX has flipped faces..only in 3DC.

• Advanced Member

You can see that in C4D the faces are fine but when I export to 3D COat the faces vanish (or flip?)

I tried c4d model with backfacing culling on and off and both were fine. The model was brought into 3dCoat using merge object/automapped.

See images..

Not sure what I can do because there is no point texturing the model when faces are missing or flipped.

Hopefully someone can help. 

Version 4.1.04A(CUDA)(GL64)

Thanks

post-37556-0-32142300-1406731455_thumb.p

post-37556-0-83026400-1406731461_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Hmm. I updated to the latest Beta version and now the mesh crashes every time I try to import it. The mesh loads fine in any other modelling program.

I submitted a crash bug viw the program interface but I've no idea if these ever get addressed.

Any recommendations?

Have you tried a format other than fbx? Unfortunately fbx implementation varies widely across software, some being better, some worse, some on newer versions of fbx, some on older versions of fbx.

Edited by Aabel

Ok, I would roll back from the latest beta version first and use the stable release. Once you get it importing without crashing again, inspect your geometry in the app you made it in, make sure the normals are facing the right way, and there aren't any non-manifolds, zero area faces or other problems.

• Advanced Member

OKay cool, I think I found some issues with the mesh which I fixed. But now when I import there seem to be faces missing...but when I run an AO bake on the mesh the seemingly missing faces get painted black...so it looks tlike the faces are there but not actually being displayed properly. Is this anything that's been seen before?

See pic

post-37556-0-84047700-1406753412_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

PM Sent.

FYI I reverted back to the older version then used..Import reference mesh, then 'Merge with NM' to get this mesh ready for the paint room. This ALMOST works, although I still have  a couple of flipped faces. :(

Oddly enough though,  if I use 'Import Refernce mesh' and then try to manually automap > use current ow poly mesh the mesh, I am unable to paint on it in the paint room.

Edited by Grimmy