3DCoat Forums

Shaders

Andrew Shpagin

I'm curious if anyone (Akira?) could point me to more information on these matcap shaders I don't know anything about coding, but the concept of using a sphere image intrigued me. So I made a sphere image saved it as CustomSampler1.dds (Default DDS settings) and grabbed CustomSampler3.dds, mcubes.glsl, and mcubes.hlsl from Bronze_No_Cavity. I put them together and got something, but not quite what I expected.

My sphere image is this:

blue_church_sphere.jpg

What I end up with is this:

blue_church_result.jpg

Also it's only available from the VoxTree Shader selecter, not the one for everything. I've attached it if you want to play with it.

Blue_Church.zip

• Advanced Member

Phil, you grabbed the wrong shader. :P

You should pick up those shaders starting with a "PicMat" prefix, those are the PicMat shaders(please don't call em MatCap).

Bronze is not a PicMat shader, b/c you can rotate the direction of light.

akira.

Akira: Sorry I didn't know there was a big different. I understood that they were matcap, I googled both names and matcap gave me lots of results, while picmat only gave me this forum, so I thought it was just a name you made up to show they were the ones you made. *shrug*

Artman: Thank you.

The tips from you guys gave me exactly what I was after. This was just a test of course, to learn from, I don't think you could actually do anything with it, but here it is.

Oh and it still only works from the Vox Tree menu, any idea how to fix that?

sample.jpg

Blue_Church.zip

Oh and it still only works from the Vox Tree menu, any idea how to fix that?

If you have choosen shader it vox tree common shader from menu will not be applied to object until you will choose "Use common shader" in vox tree.

Btw, nice shader! What is source of picture? Is it protected by some props? Can it be included in shaders list?

• Applink Developer

Akira. Thanks so much for Cook-Torrance shader I just love that shader and freedom it gives. I have done a small

web page where is my portfolio using 3d-coat and I have used your shader and it works great. I hope we can have more option

in the future like controlling ambience color etc...etc. Thanks again.

If you have choosen shader it vox tree common shader from menu will not be applied to object until you will choose "Use common shader" in vox tree.

Btw, nice shader! What is source of picture? Is it protected by some props? Can it be included in shaders list?

Nope, for some reason picking "Common Shader" doesn't help. I assume that's what you mean, I don't see any "Use Common Shader" command.

Sure you can use it if you like. I made it in Lightwave. The image in the reflection is an HDR image I found on the web somewhere. If by props you mean a copyright or something, I don't think so. I found it years ago, but I think it was just put up on somebodies site, free to download.

Here's a larger version of my sphere:

http://www.philnolan3d.com/images/temp/Blue_Church_big.jpg

Edit: Problem solved by running 3DC as Administrator. Oops!

Edit2: More info on the HDRs, here's the original site where it comes from. I don't see anything about a copyright.

http://hdri.3dweave.com/library/

• Advanced Member
Akira. Thanks so much for Cook-Torrance shader I just love that shader and freedom it gives. I have done a small

web page where is my portfolio using 3d-coat and I have used your shader and it works great. I hope we can have more option

in the future like controlling ambience color etc...etc. Thanks again.

Glad you like it. :D

I'm making a PSD file in which you can control diffuse/specular/environment with layer blending, then you can

output the result into a PicMat shader ball, I've downloaded a xsi version of the Lafortune shader from here:

http://www.tek2shoot.com/knowledge-base/so...une-shader.html

will try to make a PicMat version of it.

akira.

At least I have made shader that supports normalmapping. Next Alpha will bring much more control over shaders, but for now you can look this:

(there are 2 fist fields in settings that look strange, but they will look as texture selector in next alpha).

edit: There are only HLSL valid shaders, GLSL will be soon

Marble.zip

Looking at the ability to create shaders is really gaining my interest but i would like to create some nice reflective shaders custom made from my HDRI work that i do from time to time. I could create some very nice metallic and other reflective surfaces if anyone is interested but firstly i need to figure out how this is done with 3d coat.

Looking at the ability to create shaders is really gaining my interest but i would like to create some nice reflective shaders custom made from my HDRI work that i do from time to time. I could create some very nice metallic and other reflective surfaces if anyone is interested but firstly i need to figure out how this is done with 3d coat.

As far as the one I made (Blue Church) I made a new shader folder and copied the Car Paint files into it. Then in LightWave I made a sphere and textured it the way I wanted the shader to look. I did a render of that and made sure it was a square image with the edges of the sphere touching the sides of the square render. Then I brought that into Photoshop and resaved it out as CustomSampler1.dds. In order to save as DDS you need the free plugin from nVidia located here. That's all I know how to do.

• Advanced Member

Thankyou for the tweaked shader Akira.

I saw a working opacity slider was in there. Only problem is that the object that has transparancy enabled still occludes objects behind/in it eventhough its transparant.

Is that something you can fix or is that something for Andrew to fix? (Oh how I would love a transparancy toggle in the voxtree... )

Cheers!

JW