3DCoat Forums

Bugzzz

Andrew Shpagin

Alpha 42 Spray / Thaw bug: Going iover the same spot repeatedly does very little at first, then suddenly does a lot. This only happens with CUDA turned off.

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/gTGBNzRWXU

Edit: video seems to be sped up or something. I didn't move my pen that fast.

Render bug: This is with or without CUDA so probably not related. Rendering is fine, but after hitting Esc. the camera position changes.

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/GdOAY28p

Also if resolution is increased a couple of times, the model disappears after hitting Esc. The only way I could get it back is restarting the program.

• Advanced Member

I think Ive found a workaround to my last problem I posted here - switching cuda off has got my inverted brushes to be much more powerful and responsive but now I have the problem philnolan has shown in his first video when cuda is off.

so my experience so fat is something like this

so cuda on = good positive brush weak negative brush

cuda off = wierd/lumpy positive brush good negative brush.

• Contributor

Alpha 42

whenever I use the flatten brush after a while some strange artifacts appear on my models.

I cannot smooth or affect them in any ways.

So I tought they were just display quirks from the graphic card (quadrofx 1700) so I didn't pay attention.

But when I save my file those display quirks turn into real mesh artifacts.

The thing is the further I sculpt (alternating airbrush and flatten) more often and biggers they become.

I tried cuda on/off

incremental render on/off

GL and DX

I didnlt want to download cuda for win32 so I've only worked with the 64bit versions so far

If somebody think it can help I'll try 32bit instead

here is another example showing how it turns into a mesh artifact when saving the file

• Contributor

I found a workaround to the bug I mentionned earlier (see previous post)

I just need to use flaten along with another surface tool like "draw with pen"

and I musn't use it along with the airbrush otherwise I get the artifacts .

Draw with pen is as cool as the airbrush so I don't mind. :)

• Contributor

(ldzywsj: try checking the invert mirror box,it worked for me :) )

alpha 45 cuda

"Substract from" in vox tree options doesn't work for me anymore.

(worked fine in alpha 44 simple)

edit:this problem occur only with OpenGl

maybe related to card quadro fx1700

also

the new export indvidual objects doesn't work for me either

it exports empty .obj

but the new export whole scene works fine.

Non-voxel bug, so this may be old. With most tools this issue has been reasonably resolved, but with the clone tool (regular painting mode) the tool goes right through any window that you're clicking on. Like for example if you move the Clone Tool options panel around you'll also be painting a line under where ever the panel goes. I'm guessing this kind of thing will go away when the new interface comes about, but I just wanted to make sure it was known.

BTW I'm also noticing my CPU usage going way up to 70% on average, one of the cores is at around 95%. This happens whenever 3DC is on the screen. When I switch back here to Firefox it drops to about 24%. It's not even a very large object that I'm working on. 2 textures at 2048 each and the object is 1.48mil polys. But the performance is really slow.

3DC:

2008-12-21_0558.png

Firefox:

2008-12-21_0601.png

• Advanced Member
Non-voxel bug, so this may be old. With most tools this issue has been reasonably resolved, but with the clone tool (regular painting mode) the tool goes right through any window that you're clicking on. Like for example if you move the Clone Tool options panel around you'll also be painting a line under where ever the panel goes. I'm guessing this kind of thing will go away when the new interface comes about, but I just wanted to make sure it was known.

BTW I'm also noticing my CPU usage going way up to 70% on average, one of the cores is at around 95%. This happens whenever 3DC is on the screen. When I switch back here to Firefox it drops to about 24%. It's not even a very large object that I'm working on. 2 textures at 2048 each and the object is 1.48mil polys. But the performance is really slow.

I noticed something similar to this.

The frame rate was able to drop to around 30fps when our mouse or pen is not moved. But this feature seems not working properly in the latest build, FPS always stay at the highest fps all the time.

• Advanced Member

Maybe my old graphics card (7800go), but I get instant 'circle of' artifacts when using the 'move' brush.

If the brush size is reduced, still get the artifacting, but seems like around the region of the old brush size.

The artifacts will smooth down, but it's probably something that would suck if you'd detailed your model and

just wanted to tweak a certain small area.

(forgot to add, this is with Alpha 45 Simple version)

Maybe my old graphics card (7800go), but I get instant 'circle of' artifacts when using the 'move' brush.

If the brush size is reduced, still get the artifacting, but seems like around the region of the old brush size.

The artifacts will smooth down, but it's probably something that would suck if you'd detailed your model and

Please show how it looks.

I've noticed the same thing with Move, at least I think this is what you're talking about, but also with any of the Surface tools. I've been meaning to bring it up but kept forgetting. I've seen it for a long time, maybe since the alpha first started.

See here I pinch an area, then the surrounding area has kind of a rippled effect. You can smooth it but... This is hard to describe, as you smooth it more areas around that spot, which looked fine, start to appear rippled then they get smooth again. Hope this video helps:

http://screencast.com/t/eltUVXWs

Here's another bug. When you hit File > New it clears the scene, but the file name across the top is still the same as your old one. So I haven't tried this but I'm afraid if this happens and I hit Save, it will over write the other file I had open before.

• Contributor

alpha 46

1-now both extract skin and "substract from" work fine

in both opengl and dx

2-"export this object" in the rmb menu of the voxtree still doesn't work

it exports an empty .obj

also I forgot to mention this bug

but I got this in all alphas I've tested

:whenever I delete a subobject the subobject disappear from the screen

but when I export to .obj or press "to polygons" the deleted subobject is still there.

The only way I've found to delete it is to use the rectangle cutter of the E panel.

I need to do this each time I wanna delete a subobject :( .

...the sculpting feeling is great :) very solid now that I know good brush sequences

The voxel models seem to have bubbles, or pockets of air inside them. This probably isn't a huge problem, but it does add to the polygon count and has a few times messed up my model when I accidentally cut into one of these pockets. You can see them easily in wireframe mode, here's a video:

http://screencast.com/t/SNFoxXyA

Another thing: After using the Transform Whole Object tool for just a few seconds (maybe 30) the navigation becomes very sluggish. If I sculpt a few strokes it becomes smooth again

• Advanced Member

ALpha 47

Andrew, convert to polys don't work correctly, sometimes it crashes the app and sometimes i have a very bad rough model. I've tried to decrease the density several times from the vox menu, but when i try to convert to polys it crashes the same.

-TOXE

In 47 cuda is really messing up my model and it doesn't undo. Example:

http://screencast.com/t/kmrwBKYDVX

If I turn cuda off it works normally. I can fix the holes by turning it off then using Fill, turning the depth too 0, and brushing around the edges of the holes. Earlier cuda versions didn't do this.

Hi,

most certainly this post should be moved.

Sorry, but I could not find another place to post my question, dealing not with any possible "bugs" within 3DCoat, but with the lack of some basic knowledge itself.

Because I mostly like to know what I am doing/using, I looked up "Voxel" within the Wikipedia, and got this here:

A voxel represents the sub-volume box with constant scalar/vector value inside which is equal to scalar/vector value of the corresponding grid/pixel of the original discrete representation of the volumetric data. The boundaries of a voxel are exactly in the middle between neighboring grids. Voxel data sets have a limited resolution, as precise data is only available at the center of each cell. Under the assumption that the voxel data is sampling a suitably band-limited signal, accurate reconstructions of data points in between the sampled voxels can be attained by low-pass filtering the data set. Visually acceptable approximations to this low pass filter can be attained by polynomial interpolation such as tri-linear or tri-cubic interpolation.

Now, I am not afraid to confess, that the above lines did near to nothing to help me understand the nature of Voxels.

Maybe I can get some digestable answers here?

Thank you for reading!

• Contributor

alpha 47 cuda(quadrofx 1700)

transpose mode "select with pen" does nothing on a lot of my models.(no selection is made,but the two-redpoints drag line is there)

(but strangely it works fine when used on the default sphere)

in Gl version transpose mode "ring" doesn't show the selection gradient (ok in dx version)

undos on transpose actions gives weird results ( like multiple undos)

but still transpose is a lot of fun and very powerful :D

OK I installed the latest version of the cuda toolkit and that solved my problem from above.

Edit to save posts:

I am seeing the attached error message often when increasing resolution. After I click Retry everything continues as normal. I'll send the log to Andrew.

Edit again:

after typing that last edit I went back to 3DC and it gave me an instability error asking me to save my work because it was crashing. I saved, but the saved file was 0KB with nothing in it.

post-466-1230153836_thumb.jpg