3DCoat Forums

Bugzzz

Andrew Shpagin

• Advanced Member
The voxel models seem to have bubbles, or pockets of air inside them. This probably isn't a huge problem, but it does add to the polygon count and has a few times messed up my model when I accidentally cut into one of these pockets.

Yeah, to me it seems like a feature, not a bug. Voxels are really cool because it is actually possible to create hollows inside your models. :) But indeed, some sort of "detect and fill hollows" voxel operation feature could be useful for the reasons you mentioned. How complicated is it to detect empty spaces that are completely surrounded by voxel volume?

• Contributor

Bugs:GL64 Alpha 47. Clone object-transform-click object turns red and stays red.Using brushes clears it up.

Transpose: 1.When you clone an object and use transpose-select with pen on that object it doesn't work.If you use it on original object it selects the cloned object.2.General selection:Sometimes when clearing selection and trying to make a new selection in same area it doesn't work.

Undo problems as mentioned when using certain scene tree functions such as clone.

Sub object mesh disappears when sculpting nearby object.

xp 64

9800gt

8 gig ram

amd quad core

I've mentioned this cursor freezing before but here's a video. It happens every once in a while (once or twice a day), after each brush stroke the cursor freezes for 5 or 6 seconds, making it almost impossible to get anything done. The only fix seems to be to save my work and restart the program. I've checked the RAM usage and for this model it's only around 60%. The CPU usage seems fairly low, around 30-40%, but that meter also freezes for the same 5-6 seconds.

http://screencast.com/t/Mt8urSXmHL

Brush curve shape inside brush circle does not update - it's been like this for a couple versions. Can you please fix it in the next release, it is very useful to be able to see the curve.

Thanks!

Yeah I mentioned that when it first started, I'd love to see that fixed as well.

Render bugs:

1. If you render with the Transform gizmo visible that gets rendered as well. (see attachment)

2. With the new Vox Tree the currently active object is a lighter shade than the rest. This is also visible when rendering. Quick fix is to have a non-important object in the tree. Select that one and hide it before rendering.

3. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. When the camera animates around an object during a render the camera moves but light stays still. So one side of the object will always be dark.

4. My most recent render was going fairly quick. Maybe 2 seconds for every 10 rays, then after about 230 rays or so it suddenly starts going much slower like 30 seconds for every 10 rays. My fix is to just click the program's title bar. The program goes all black and says "not responding" for a few seconds, then it goes back to rendering at the fast speed.

post-466-1230383491_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

2 other bugs:

alpha47(both dx and opengl)

I get that on this simple box made from the default sphere ,when I try to increase reolution twice.

also when I use the "export this object" option in the voxtree rmb menu

the created .obj scale is always wrong on an axis.

But when I use the "export full scene" option there is no problem.

alpha47 (DX and GL CUDA)

- In the treeview, I cannot delete subobjects when there are (other) subobjects set to invisible.

- Everytime I save an object with subobjects and then re-open it, 3DC adds a default sphere subobject.

- When I activate the transform tool, the grid disappears.

- Undo (still) sometimes 'loses' the entire subobject, as if it's hidden and nothing will bring it back into visibility.

Q6600 2.4GHz 4 Gb Vista 64

Geforce 8800GTS 640, driver 7.15.11.8060

DirectX 10

CUDA 180.60

alpha47 (DX and GL CUDA)

- Everytime I save an object with subobjects and then re-open it, 3DC adds a default sphere subobject.

- Undo (still) sometimes 'loses' the entire subobject, as if it's hidden and nothing will bring it back into visibility.

The re-open thing happens to me every time. I noticed the Undo thing once yesterday, I also noted that the number of polygons was always 0 for that object.

One more thing: I created a subobject, then tried to make a curve but nothing happened when I hit Enter, so I thought maybe there needs to be an object for it to start from. So I grabbed the Sphere tool and tried to create a sphere on the empty layer. 3DC froze up (all black) then eventually crashed. I sent in the bug report that came up.

Another bug: The scaling of points on a curve is not working correctly. It seems to be ignoring points that are added in the middle (green dot). In this video I made a straight curve for the character's arm, then after it was in the correct position I added three more points in the middle so I could adjust scale for the elbow and muscles on either side.

http://screencast.com/t/nDDlxlhZYA

Here's more: Something is wrong with Lamblight, see in this screenshot different objects look different from each other:

http://www.screencast.com/t/VpSF87al

If I turn on shadows the whole thing goes dark:

http://www.screencast.com/t/AzSxqvjVWi

These problems seem to occur as the resolution is increased. Here's a video showing that. I have also noticed sometimes the strange effects change, depending on how close you are zoomed in. I tried to show that t the end of the vid, but it didn't happen this time.

http://screencast.com/t/O2WLHqIdc0C

Another video: This one shows problems with the Build tool. geometric patterns and tears appear while using it.

http://www.screencast.com/t/l3BizosZ8

• Advanced Member

The Mask doesn't seem to work correctly if you increase the resolution of the voxel object. Try this:

1. Start sculpting on an object through the mask using the Build, Extrude or Airbrush tool. The mask is projected on the object correctly.

2. Click "Increase Resolution"

3. Paint on the object again using the same mask. It seems to be projected onto the object at half the size.

• Contributor

a very small thing but I guess I need to report this...

alpha47 64 cuda GL (DX didn't have this issue)

when I use transform sometimes (not all the times)

a selection gradient appear a stays on the model forever(meaning closing and loading back file won't help)

it's the kind of selection gradient you get when you use transpose

but I get it with transform

I tried incremental render on/off

I tried to switch to transpose and hit the clear selection button(a wild guess)

but it does nothing.

here is an exemple.

sometimes it's more extreme like the whole model will be green or pink.

I'm starting to think 90% of the problems I had so far are related

to my quadrofx1700, but it just a feeling...

Strange render bug. When you do an animated render is it just taking and saving screenshots? I set one up and let it go while I surfed the web and did other things. When I went back to check on the files that came out the first couple were fine, but the rest were pictures of my email, my web browser, etc.

• Advanced Member
Strange render bug. When you do an animated render is it just taking and saving screenshots? I set one up and let it go while I surfed the web and did other things. When I went back to check on the files that came out the first couple were fine, but the rest were pictures of my email, my web browser, etc.

Yes, I've met this problem before on windows version, it just like take screenshot; but on Mac version there is no such problem.

I don't know why, but may be Andrew can improve this.

This one's interesting. I sculpted this bit of ground with a dirt road.

http://screencast.com/t/1NZvvqXTL

Then I retopologised it and used Merge Into Scene to make the details into the normal map. What I got was this:

http://screencast.com/t/fYdJVpissvK

I don't care about the rounded corners of the model so much, I expected that to happen, it's these weird stripes that bother me.

I don't really care about the bottom since I'm not using it for anything, but I just thought I'd show these strange geometric patterns that appeared. They looks something like the "bubbles" that appear inside the VS model.

http://screencast.com/t/sIUrhScn

• Advanced Member
Then I retopologised it and used Merge Into Scene to make the details into the normal map. What I got was this:

http://screencast.com/t/fYdJVpissvK

Hmm, I wonder if that bug is akin to what I posted here? (maybe I shouldn't have made it into a separate topic?) There seems to be some artifacts introduced when voxels are projected to height maps. Something tells me it happens where the retopo polygons intersect with the voxels... but not sure if that's the case.

After making my above object I saved it as a new increment. Later my computer crashed and I restarted. Now when I try to load that file 3DC crashes every time. Andrew, if you want the file it's like 90MB so I could send it via sendfile.com or megaupload.com, something like that.

Here's a minor thing. When I hit Save Incremental it opens the Save As dialog.

After making my above object I saved it as a new increment. Later my computer crashed and I restarted. Now when I try to load that file 3DC crashes every time. Andrew, if you want the file it's like 90MB so I could send it via sendfile.com or megaupload.com, something like that.

I have received file and will look it very soon.

I was slightly busy today and was not able to do it immediately.

I have opened file successfully (there is valley with road). But I have 8GB RAM... Maybe it is leak problem, it really takes more memory then need. I will fix this mem issue in next update.

• Contributor

It is more a problem than a bug.But for users in the future it might be a wall.

The "change parent" submenu in the voxtree rmb menu gets quickly too long and goes even beyond the screen space even if my monitor

resolution is at it's maximum,the reason for that is because it is displaying all objects in the tree regardless of the parenting.So now if I add new object to the tree they are unaccessible in the "change parent" menu,Maybe the menu should split into submenus at branch junctions like voxtree or maybee globally expand

in another menu page and so on.(up to let's say 4or 5)

(but spitting into submenus at branches junctions would be better for navigation I think)

It would be also great if we could assign hotkeys to the voxtree functions ex:delete,clone,set a specific shader(assigning seems to work as I clearly see the hotkey being displayed beside the function but when I press the said hotkey nothing happens)

• Contributor

I've been having some "swapping" issues in the voxtree.

meaning:

I sculpt on an object in the tree then if I delete all the others object and rename the object to another name,save the file to another name

now if I try merge the .3b to the previous file the object swap place with the object from which came from.

to reproduce:

open a AandB.3b and AlternateFromA.3b separatly just to look how they look(remembering shape difference).

then open AandB.3b and use merge .3b in voxtree and choose AlternateFromA.3b

now AlternatefromA object and A object should have swapped place in voxtree.

Very tiny, almost nothing, really just cosmetic bug. The 3B files have no icon, at least in Windows. Well they do, but it's just the generic "blank piece of paper" icon. If I associate the file with 3DC now the icon is the same piece of paper, but it has the 3DC logo on it.

Slightly bigger. The E panel shapes no longer work with Hide.

• Applink Developer

here is one.

1. Go to Volumetric Sculpting and do a model

2. Voxtree -> Quadrangulate and paint

3. Save your .3b file

4. RE-open your 3b file and go to Sculpt mode

5. Your model is at least 200% bigger than your orginal mesh.

But in the end I have to add that this program is amazing... A big thanks to Andrew