3DCoat Forums

Bugzzz

Andrew Shpagin

• Advanced Member

I dont use "smooth all" at all so i had not noticed it before. Its a bit slow on my system so im better of just smoothing some stuff by hand.

But i did notice the same weird patterns appearing when i specifically tried. Almost like a banding effect. Interesting bug!

In summary you could say there is a bug with "smooth all" after using move instead of something specifically being wrong with move.

Thanks for clearing up what you mean.

3dioot

I can imagine this is hard to diagnose, but I've noticed something where I'll be sculpting away, perfectly happy, then the cursor pauses for a second and I hear my hard drive start "grinding" (working on something). Then the cursor moves again but now it pauses for a second or two after every brush stroke. The only way to make that pausing stop is to save my work and restart 3DC.

• Advanced Member
I can imagine this is hard to diagnose, but I've noticed something where I'll be sculpting away, perfectly happy, then the cursor pauses for a second and I hear my hard drive start "grinding" (working on something). Then the cursor moves again but now it pauses for a second or two after every brush stroke. The only way to make that pausing stop is to save my work and restart 3DC.

Actually i get this too. However i have not noticed 3dcoat accesing my hd specifically at that moment or doing it afterwards. I totally get the delay after brushstroke though just like you after a while of (indeed happy) sculpting. And just like you only way to deal with it is restart 3dcoat then its fine again.

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Alpha 31

Great improvement!! Thank you Andrew!

I encountered a display problem about incremental rendering:

The area of incremental rendering will go black when our brush hit the mesh outside of viewport - yeah outside, it's possible when symmetry sculpting is enabled.

Regards,

akira.

• Advanced Member

bug with v31 in Dx mode

when i'm extremely close to a model (ex ; the startup sphere) and when the incremental render is On, when i sculpt, the model disappear around the brush. (square with the background color)

• Advanced Member

When i open my head sculpt made in V30 the symmetry plane is opaque (its not see through) and the grid seems to be overlayed on top of both the model and the symmetry plane while i know its intersecting the model (i can see its "wrong" when i rotate the view). Turning incremental render off fixes this.

post-949-1224534844_thumb.jpg

Geforce 6800GT latest drivers under WinXP

Additional weirdness;

If i turn the symmetry plane off with incremental rendering ON i have to move my view a little bit before it dissapears. When i turn the symmetry plane on it appears instantly.

When i turn incremental render on and off my model MOVES a very tiny bit up and down. Ive double checked this extensively. It really happens im not dreaming. When you have the symmetry plane enabled it will move along with the model.

Ill keep you updated if i find more weird stuff. :)

Also could you please start naming your exe files? What is the latest version right now? 31? Or did you allready release a 32?

3dioot

• Advanced Member
I'm confused, the EXE's are named, You mean the installer right? Current version is 31.

Sorry you are correct. :)

Found a critical bug in the hide function. Appearantly it crashes on backfaces. I send a bugreport Andrew but its not just enclosed hollows. I think its backfaces period. Here are two movies showing how to replicate the bug.

hidecrash_movies.zip

Also ill take this opportunity to say that id still like the hiding tool to be improved alot. Here are my comments from a previous post:

Its much too rough and very hard to control. Yes lasso works. But it seems to hide "chunks". Take as reference my frog model. The smallest "patch" i can hide is about the size of his eye (this is with a super small brush size). This is really not fine enough.

Not only that; it doesnt seem to be projection based. With this i mean that if i try to hide the body of the frog thats floating over the rock i WILL always hide part of the rock too even when thats NOT in my initial lasso selection. Its like the whole scene is divided into big blocks (much bigger then the voxels themselves) and when you hide something it just clears whatever is in that block. Even if the extents of that block fall out of the lasso selection. I tried it with perspective toggled off just to see wether that messed with it but that gave me the same result.

Overall the resolution really just needs to be much finer. Id like to hide comparable to the voxel resolution im sculpting at.

3dioot

PS

If i have incremental rendering enabled and merge in a new object my old one will dissapear. Only scaling my new object much bigger then the one thats allready there will create a proper screen refresh and make my own model appear again. The same is true when you load in another file. The new object will be projected on top of the view of the old one. Only after a viewport move will everything refresh and will the old sculpt dissapear. Its a great idea incremental rendering but right now it influences -everything-. Perhaps its an idea to only have it on during real sculpting operations? Because if not it influences alot of stuff that you will have to make exceptions for for them to appear to work properly.

Also im not a fan of the green bar at all. When i increase res my screen goes completely grey with only a loading bar. When i undo a really big move i will get the loading bar too. I dont mind a pause when i undo something heavy (stuff takes time i understand that). But i do hate it if im snapped out of my sculpting because my screen turns grey. Eventhough i cant do something for 1.5 second doesnt mean im not looking at my sculpt and thinking about what area to touch next. To have my sculpt dissapear (even for short) just to show me a loading bar is really a big interrupter.

Serious regressions in alpha 31 on my laptop with ATI Chipset

1) Can no longer sculpt in Voxel mode using GL version. I click on the voxel sculpt mode button, tool menu pops up, but sphere doesn't appear. Right after that, crash dialog appears

2) DX version, pressing 'w' to show wireframe no longer works, displays one solitary diagonal line. Rotating the model while holding 'w' shows nothing extra, when 'w' is released, there are ghost 'spheres' and damage repainting is chunky.

Performance is phenomenal though, 33 FPS on my weedy laptop at nearly 1 million tris.

Testing apha 31

Incremental render seems to slow things in my computer instead of speed up, or mabey my model is to big.

http://www.divshare.com/download/5633439-49a

Incremental render will not speed up navigation sped, but it will speed up brushing. If model is firm on screen then incremental render begins to work. It renders only small part of model near pen, so time is consumed on brushing itself, not rendering of the whole scene.

• Advanced Member

@Andrew

I have noticed the same thing as Juan. On my home station (geforce 6800Gt) turning on incremental rendering doesnt lag viewport navigation.

On my workstation however (quadro NVS258) turning on incremental rendering leads to a -degredation- in viewport performance. Note i do not say it stays the same; it actually gets alot worse. It begins to lag very noticably just like in Juan's movie.

Just thought id share. It also crashes when i try to voxel sculpt in GL mode. I havent tried to run it in GL on my homestation (geforce 6800GT) yet so i cant say wether this crash is card specific but i get it a 100% each time with the quadro NVS258 thats for sure. I send a bugreport from the crash.

3dioot

• Advanced Member
Incremental render will not speed up navigation sped, but it will speed up brushing. If model is firm on screen then incremental render begins to work. It renders only small part of model near pen, so time is consumed on brushing itself, not rendering of the whole scene.

Thanks for the explanation Andrew.

• Advanced Member

in Alpha 32, DX mode; when incremental render is on, there's a display bug with the 3d gri. It's only visible when i sculpt, and it's flickering

the previous bug is gone.(model disappear when i'm too close while sculpting) thanks.

• Advanced Member

With the latest Alpha (33) and on my work Pc (geforce 6800, Xp )i've got a funny bug when i enable 'Cast shadows' : I've got a lot of chinese characters displayed over the model, and the Fps is really slow

• Advanced Member

Alpha 33

I like the new RMB feature, what about rotating the camera when RMB click outside of model. :)

bug:

The depth value will become very high(sometimes zero) if you hold down RMB and zoom-in/zoom-out brush size several times.

cheers,

akira.