3DCoat Forums

Zbrush livestream

geo_n

yup

-------

what i said ?

what if retopo room surpass the actual function and becomes Shape Room, with more surface modeling added and becomes the center pivot of modeling (merge, pick from retopo to Sculpt room and merge with ppp to paint room) ?

is the logical development way, just we need more time

i a great advance for sculpt programs and show the way, for sure

i dont like the destructive way they take in the development

apply any change asked by art directors will be cumbersome

no destructive way using nurbs + booleans -from my pov- will be the way for 3DC to make the app a full Swiss army knife solution in any workflow

Interesting stuff but meh honestly, those features give me more questions than answers. No snapping was shown, nor was any grid or coherent unit system useful outside of Zbrush. low poly stuff isn't really a point of pain in using zbrush in a pipeline, plenty of other tools to handle that work. It's the getting all that detail created in Zbrush out to be rendered that is a pain. Zbrush has crap remeshing, crap UV tools, crap texture painting, and crap baking. You make a stupidly high res mesh and hopefully you have tools to help you get something usable out of all that data you've generated. I can't wait to see what features of Zbrush these new modeling tools will and will not work with and what constraints they will place on workflow.

The reason I came to 3d-coat is because it offers an end to end solution for sculpting models, I can make stupidly high res models (64bit already thank you very much) and I can topologize, UV and texture them to a production quality levels.

What Pixologic has shown so far does nothing to alleviate the pain points I experience in using Zbrush.

Chasing hard surface modeling and doing it with subd's is a fools errand in my opinion. Subd's have real issues depicting accurate surfaces with good continuity. You will always have pinching artifacts and you will always have soft edges and a lack of continuity. Pixologic isn't doing anything new adding these kinds of modeling features to zbrush to make it more attractive for hard surface modeling, they are going down a well worn path with lots of known issues. Personally I find MoI3d far more impressive for intuitive and accurate hard surface modeling.

• Like 2

Personally I find MoI3d far more impressive for intuitive and accurate hard surface modeling.

agree 100%

remember Electro Plasma Gun ?

http://moi3d.com/gallery/viewitem.php?id=724&subid=0

3DC need to refine baking system, finish full PShop interoperability, add sculpt groups and sculpt layers, sculpt and paint at same time.

next step a new PBR texture/rendering

and finally upgrade retopo-room to modeler-room status using Nurbs

my humble pov

• Like 4

• Contributor

There have been many times when i wished 3dcoat would have some sort of poly modeling capabilities.This would make coat so much more powerful.

Ive also been using Keyshot for rendering, a Keyshot link would be nice.

post-913-0-75028000-1407597363_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
I watched most of the presenters yesterday and one thing struck me was, every single presenter was at one point or another fumbling in the interface and menus to find where things were. 

These guys are pros.. That's my major turn off with ZB.. Feature wise, what an amazing product but re-work that interface for ZB 5 please! :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Interesting stuff but meh honestly, those features give me more questions than answers. No snapping was shown, nor was any grid or coherent unit system useful outside of Zbrush. low poly stuff isn't really a point of pain in using zbrush in a pipeline, plenty of other tools to handle that work. It's the getting all that detail created in Zbrush out to be rendered that is a pain. Zbrush has crap remeshing, crap UV tools, crap texture painting, and crap baking. You make a stupidly high res mesh and hopefully you have tools to help you get something usable out of all that data you've generated. I can't wait to see what features of Zbrush these new modeling tools will and will not work with and what constraints they will place on workflow.

The reason I came to 3d-coat is because it offers an end to end solution for sculpting models, I can make stupidly high res models (64bit already thank you very much) and I can topologize, UV and texture them to a production quality levels.

What Pixologic has shown so far does nothing to alleviate the pain points I experience in using Zbrush.

Chasing hard surface modeling and doing it with subd's is a fools errand in my opinion. Subd's have real issues depicting accurate surfaces with good continuity. You will always have pinching artifacts and you will always have soft edges and a lack of continuity. Pixologic isn't doing anything new adding these kinds of modeling features to zbrush to make it more attractive for hard surface modeling, they are going down a well worn path with lots of known issues. Personally I find MoI3d far more impressive for intuitive and accurate hard surface modeling.

Hear hear, well said.