3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Baking workflow: normals problem ?

dimitribastos

• Advanced Member

Hi there, I'm trying to figure out how to bake, painting and export from 3D Coat. I'm a new user, with a few days using 3D Coat, and while I guess that I figured out a lot there is still some holes in the learning process.
For example, right now I'm trying to work with Per Pixel Painting, exporting normals and so on, so I have a couple of questions about this:

1) When I try to export displacement from my PPP process, it only exports the depth changes made while painting, not the entire mesh deformation. Why?

2) My normals seems weird when I import them inside MODO 801. As you can see from the images, the second one (MODO) seems to be inverted compared to the viewport on 3D Coat.

normal1.png

normal2.png

3) and a vertex painting question: is it correct to subdivide my mesh to use displacement maps in Modo? only this way I can get proper displacement (and rising up the displacement settings in modo - maybe a scene scale issue?).

Thanks! :)

• Advanced Member

Oh, one more question. My baked normal have some strange vertical shading, as you can see right in the center of the mesh. It is very obvious when rendered on Modo, Cinema 4D works fine.

normal3.png