3DCoat Forums

syunikiso

Also,

If you want to sculpt on a ghosted layer, you can.  There are some Ghosted Volumes options up top on how to interact with a ghosted layer ('pick and act' is probably what you're looking for).

Great progress by the way!  Looking forward to what you'll do going forward, especially with the new smooth algorithm.  I really think it's a game changer.

Hey gbball, thanks for the input! :D I already used it on my newer studies!

Nice work Lucas. Hope to see more finals in the future. :)

Thank you very much, Taros! 

There are way too much stuff to do but I'm trying to do my best to finish at least half of them xD

So here's my recent stuff. 

After the "feet class" I realized how wrong my proportions were (actually the instructor told me that) so I have to almost redo the entire character. 

I believe he's ok to go but I probably need to sculpt 10.000 more to really say that I'm good at it. 

Please tell me what you guys think!

male.jpg

About my sculpting experience on 3D-Coat:

I downloaded the Beta and tested the Anti Bump smoothing. 

It is waaay better than the other sculpting algorithms (at least for my purposes) but I can't say that it's working 100%. I still have some weird bumps on a few areas of my sculpts. 

Also, things start to get a bit crazy when I have to be more "bold" on my sculpting process, which happens very often. By bold I mean hitting really heavy strokes - then smoothing - then more heavy strokes - smoothing, etc. 

Almost every time I do this, when I add clay back, the bumps appears. 

Regarding boolean operations, I believe 3D-Coat handles it pretty well, even on surface mode. Now, if I'm saying bullshit please let me know, but I think that we all could benefit of some reprojection features (does it already have one? any videos/tutorials/tips?). 

I also did some work on my Comicon entry, but as time goes by I believe less and less that I would be able to finish it in time :P

hulkish.jpg

I even started a speed sculpt of a posed model only to realize how a bad proportion can be like a house of cards:

x38ymv.jpg

I'll try to revisit this guy when I have the time.

I also started a female model. Still pretty early stages. I'll probably soften the features accordingly once I'm satisfied with my "gesture-muscle-hunting":

52nvo1.jpg

Finally, one more question for you guys:

I currently use this material (that show up on almost all of my sculpts). It's a kind of matcap. 

But I noticed that I lose some information about the current state of my sculpt. I said that because the instructor's feedback are made on zbrush (I send an obj to him) using ZB's basic material; and I always have this feeling that on ZB's it shows a lot more of info about the shapes and strokes. Often times it's a good thing, but I want to be able to see all this info while I'm sculpting.

Any tips or suggestions regarding materials for sculpting?

Again, thank you very much for the tips, critiques and compliments, It makes me stay focused and learn my way through the app :D

• Like 2

• Contributor

Any tips or suggestions regarding materials for sculpting?

I personally favour the new PBR and PBR_width_depth shaders. If you fill them in the paint room with some additional glossiness (and skin colour), they feel great when sculpting organic stuff. They're the only shaders that react to environment maps' HDR lighting. It feels almost like sculpting in some real substance.

I have not touched other shaders since Andrew included this one.

post-12523-0-48400800-1424998979_thumb.j

Awesome job with the models! :clapping:

• 1 month later...

I personally favour the new PBR and PBR_width_depth shaders. If you fill them in the paint room with some additional glossiness (and skin colour), they feel great when sculpting organic stuff. They're the only shaders that react to environment maps' HDR lighting. It feels almost like sculpting in some real substance.

I have not touched other shaders since Andrew included this one.

attachicon.gifpbr_sculpt_room_shader.jpg

Awesome job with the models! :clapping:

Hey ajz, thanks for the tip! 

I tried but it didn't work so well for me :/ Probably I was waaay to used to Zbrush basic material with shadows turned off. So I'm still using this "claysh" matcap native of 3D Coat. 

I've been super busy these days but always trying to produce stuff in and out of the course. So I'm posting the progress of the latest weeks now. But first:

1. The antibump smoothing works really well on most of the cases, but sometimes a few bumps appears, so I had to stick to my workaround (proxy mode, smooth, keep sculpting)

2. Discovered my ideal clay brush, yeah! o/ Focal shift played an important role in the process or maybe I didn't understood the other parameters very well xD In any case, it was great!!

Now, the progress. Worked a bit more on the Hulk, even missing the challenge deadline:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I wasn't sculpting his feet for time saving but now this is no longer a problem. So probably I will for the sake of practice. 

I also started the retopology. But I had a sad surprise when I opened the file: the symmetry was a bit messed up, but I guess this won't be a big deal to solve. 

2ytv2ns.jpg

2ntczmb.jpg

2qdbo79.jpg

skxsop.jpg

Needs a lot of polishing and adjustments but it's a start. Please let me know what you guys think! :)

• Like 1

• Contributor

You might have to include some deliberate boo-boos for me to have any "critiques" to report. Your only issue for animation might come when you try to weight areas with an over abundance of quads. Especially at joints like elbows, etc. where the 'inner' quads have to move closer to each other. You might get a crease before you want one. 

You might have to include some deliberate boo-boos for me to have any "critiques" to report. Your only issue for animation might come when you try to weight areas with an over abundance of quads. Especially at joints like elbows, etc. where the 'inner' quads have to move closer to each other. You might get a crease before you want one. 

Well, thanks I guess xD I believe there's a long way to go on this guy and I never did a retopo on a realisticish character before, just cartoons. I'll probably have some issues along the way :)

And here's more stuff I did. 

This guy I'm revisiting on 3D Coat. I started in Zbrush during a workshop but it was concept oriented so the point was to start and finish it entirely in zbrush. 

I wasn't very pleased with the results and I couldn't finish his body in time. (bust version here ).

So I did a frankenstein procedure and attached the head with a new body that I sculpted in 3D Coat. Here's the results so far, it's Grishnahk from LotR:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

To be honest I don't know how I want to finish it (or if I will someday). In any case C&C welcome!

• Like 1

Here was a 3 hour speed sculpt I did in 3D Coat too. I also have 2 more models but both have nudity; should I make a censored version before posting?

This model was very special to me because it made my bad feelings about the pose tool go away :P Now I love it and use all the time for multiple purposes :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

Here was a 3 hour speed sculpt I did in 3D Coat too. I also have 2 more models but both have nudity; should I make a censored version before posting?

This model was very special to me because it made my bad feelings about the pose tool go away :P Now I love it and use all the time for multiple purposes :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The pose tool is indeed neglected, probably because most users still think it's the clumsy old tool it used to be and not the modern updated version with more improvements to come.

Good work. Keep them coming.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, been really busy lately so I stopped posting here for a while. 

Right now I'm working in a project for a class and I'm using 3DCoat for texturing. 

So I have a few questions for the texture artists around....

How to set a good spray effect for skin painting? I tried to tweak a few settings in the airbrush but nothing really good yet. 

Also, everytime I change my tool (for instance, if I switch from the airbrush to the color picker) or my alpha, I lost all my tool settings :/ It's really annoying to set everything again. 

This is what I'm working on right now: 

12017455_1040215902677971_58992060380125

12052543_1040215736011321_22501259589217

These are Marmoset screenshots.

I'm thinking about finishing my Hulk character using only 3DCoat to see how it goes but it would be nice to learn some workarounds in the texture area. 

Even links from the forum regarding the subject will help. 

Thanks!!

• Like 5

Are you not saving your brush in the preset window to keep all infos for later work?

About skin airbrush: What about an alternative? Did you checked the fill tool? It offers procedural fill patterns for using as a skin. The pores pattern f.e. When you fill a normalmap layer with the pattern, then you can paint a mask to increase or decrease the skin effect. You could use the pattern for color infos too.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Are you not saving your brush in the preset window to keep all infos for later work?

About skin airbrush: What about an alternative? Did you checked the fill tool? It offers procedural fill patterns for using as a skin. The pores pattern f.e. When you fill a normalmap layer with the pattern, then you can paint a mask to increase or decrease the skin effect. You could use the pattern for color infos too.

I would love to see some videos.

I would love to see some videos.

No time at the moment... sorry.

Actually it is very easy to understand how to use the fill tool. Select a pattern type for filling instead of "No pattern". Use "Pores" for skin. That's all. No "magic".

A lot of people are focused on sculpting in 3D-Coat. But the tool offers some are really strong paint tools inside... I wish I could use some of the paint room tools for sculpting, too. No matter...

• Like 1

Hey Taros, shame on me, I didnt saved the presetes D: 

As for the fill tool, I actually used it for layering some base color info, but I like to do the "heavy" painting by hand and/or using projections. 

But I believe that saving my presets will solve the issue. Thanks!!

As for the fill tool, I actually used it for layering some base color info, but I like to do the "heavy" painting by hand and/or using projections. 

You are not forced to use projections. You could fill a whole layer with skin pores and mask it then. By painting the mask you can show the visible skin parts where you like. It is a bit similar to a manual skin paint, but the advance is the non destructive option. You can always hinde or unhinde elements.

• 4 years later...

Hello, great people from this forum!

Mighty knights of the triple coat!

I'm kinda back because I'm willing to go  sculpting on 3D Coat   again. Atm I'm testing different workflows for different types of work. 

How you guys work? For games? For production? For collectibles?

Right now I'm using Blender, Lightwave and 3D Coat, but I feel there's missing something, specially on the game workflow. I believe I can improve the retopology, UVs and bake, I dunno... 

How you guys work?

• 1 year later...

Hi, guys!

I've just updated for the version 2021 and it looks like the issue that I had with Move brush + symmetry is now solved! :yahoo:

This way I'm back to the sculpting business in 3DCoat. So far just a few sketches but I'm willing to adopt the software in my professional workflow. 
Hope to have more stuff to show soon!

Cheers

zD5d9EO.jpeg

m4YKeZo.jpeg

ykNWVz5.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sup!

I'm currently away from work, using my time to study and try to improve in a few areas. One of them is female anatomy. 
I did the sketch in the latest post but I tried more times without reaching decent results :( What do you guys think?

rQn6fIX.png

JnULRAM.png

4tuErPn.jpeg

w1asyoO.jpeg

The last two were quick rendered in Blender. 

I also have been studying head anatomy and sculpt a male to compare with my female sculpting skills:

dYYL4iq.png

k2qV8JV.png

SrIVX5F.png

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

So I started another project. This is going to be a Batman, much like Miller's Batman if I manage to finish it. 

When I open my Projects folder it feels like this: 

0tJ3sKi.jpg

Jokes aside, here's what I have so far...for now is just a sketch:

ohbFVBM.png 

05HSdAf.png

8R6k2yB.png

JyQB25U.png

• Like 1