3DCoat Forums

2024 Feature requests wishlist

Andrew Shpagin

• Advanced Member

Parameters Addition for voxel tools:

- Allow for the depth to be additive or not (same as depth in 'Paint' tools) so that we can have constant depth

in voxel sculpting if necessary.

(I'm trying to sculpt around a character's arm-band right now, and I'd like it to be constant instead of

adding where the sculpt overlaps...since I've got to rotate my view to get around the arm, I invariably

have the overlaps)

Reference Image Background:

- ability to numerically increase scale/rotation(along axis plane) of images

- ability to do the above to all planes simultaneously (so that if the ref images were

prepared in Photoshop and aligned/scaled equally, we don't have to adjust the planes

inside 3DC with non-uniform values...Ex., I scale the x-axis plane to fit my model, I then

have to guess how much to scale the z-axis plane to fit)

Ok, this is done. What about lotation locks - it is better to place them in navi bar on the top.

• Advanced Member
Ok, this is done. What about lotation locks - it is better to place them in navi bar on the top.

Without seeing it, I'd guess 'yes' (probably better to not add more visual things than necessary on the planes themselves).

thanks for taking the time to enhance for better functionality/usefullness! :)

• Advanced Member

I've been working with the retopo tools a little, and I came up with a couple ideas to improve the workflow:

The first idea is what I called a 'Relax to Feature' tool. It could actually be a brush and a global tool.

It would be an iterative process that would move the points toward the nearest and most prominent feature (according to some control value, smooth factor and distance for example) to help minimize the error between the original and the retopology:

post-497-1242716242_thumb.jpg

The second idea is to implement an adaptative subdivision scheme. The idea is that a possible current workflow is to create a very rough topology and then subdivide to capture more detail. Unfortunately the current subdivision will just cut the edges in the middle. Here the edge would be split where the projected distance from the original is maximum. A threshold could be introduce in order not to subdivide edges that are close enough to the original.

post-497-1242716261_thumb.jpg

This will endup with triangles at times, but it can be further subdivided uniformly to get quads for those who need quads only.

Franck.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, really awesome job on implementing the reference planes!...very customizable

and powerful! :good:

just 1 final request on them and they'll be perfect ....... (see pic) :D

*EDIT* Thank you for also putting hotkeys back into the number pad along with the ortho toggle! :)

post-475-1242960478_thumb.png

Andrew, really awesome job on implementing the reference planes!...very customizable

and powerful! :good:

just 1 final request on them and they'll be perfect ....... (see pic) :D

*EDIT* Thank you for also putting hotkeys back into the number pad along with the ortho toggle! :)

Please explain what that checkbox will do? Lock camera rotations? Or lock plane manipulation?

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

A toggle to 'lock' the image planes so that we can't accidentally move/scale/rotate them was

my main hope. (hadn't checked to see if all commands within the floating palette were

'hotkey-able', but I'd imagine that ability would enhance the workflow as well)

As far as locking the camera, that may be a nice feature to add as well, but my workaround

for that would be to just assign a custom camera view so that I could always return to it.

A toggle to 'lock' the image planes so that we can't accidentally move/scale/rotate them was

my main hope. (hadn't checked to see if all commands within the floating palette were

Just click the Close button and the controls disappear, locking the plane in place.

Hi Andrew,

As far as locking the camera, that may be a nice feature to add as well, but my workaround

for that would be to just assign a custom camera view so that I could always return to it.

As Phil mentioned, close will help and CTRLL-Z works there too.

What about camera locking, possibly I will add lock icon in navi icons set.

• Advanced Member
Just click the Close button and the controls disappear, locking the plane in place.

That works just fine...perhaps not intuitive the first time you want to do it, but all it takes is once... ;)

(nice that ctrl-z is working there now as well)

About locking camera, it would probably be useful but I don't have an immediate need for it that I can

think of right now (perhaps good for getting focal-length/camera distance and angle on a specific image

plane....I just don't have a good reason to do it *yet*). :)

Maybe others can chime-in on its utility to them....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

RC v3.00.01 cuda DX 64-bit -- having alot of issues with spikes after re-topo on

a voxel sculpt (trying to keep polys low...kinda the whole point) and merging into

scene. These are the spikes that can be smoothed in 'Sculpt' mode, but return as

soon as you switch back to 'Paint' mode. This is something that I posted about a

long time ago (and I just re-did the model as a solution), but I don't think it will

be acceptable to most new potential purchasers, so should probably be re-addressed.

Anyhow, my attempts at overcoming them failed:

- tried adding extra edge loops at problem areas (this is with the lowpoly retopo

that got its UVs created outside of 3dc and re-imported) but spikes remain.

- thought 'subdivide' would be a solution on my UV-d lowpoly, but it blows away

the UVs.

...so here's the request...

*Is it possible to retain the UV layout when subdividing (keeping island edges) so

that we can minimize the chances of 'spikey' vertices in the merging process? My

logic is that the UV shells will have the same outline (thus directly applicable to the

lowpoly that gets spikes) but will transfer better due to fitting the sculpt much closer.

This way we could just paint on the sub-divided mesh (once merged into the scene) that

has the same UVs as the ideal lowpoly mesh (that's causing the spikey verts), then

bake/export textures to use on the lowest poly mesh later.

:)

• Advanced Member

1. Maybe the program can scan for those little slivers of voxel artifact things and sweep them up automatically once every 15 seconds or so, it can be hard to move them on your own without interacting with the model behind them.

2. More *modeling* like features so you can model sort of like laying down voxylgons (voxels that handle like polys ^^), and then where you can manipulate the voxels like it was a lattice via arbitrary voxel-verts (voxel vertices ^^), and also some sketchup like functions for inorganic stuff. :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Would it be possible for you to create a new "surface Fill" brush with much more cavity detection?

(that would be able to fill large holes for example)

also,now that 3DCoat generates very good looking normal maps from voxel-to DP the only missing element is occlusion from voxel-to dp.That would be very complete.

( I posted about that somewhere else,sorry to be redundant )

also I noticed that hardness option in voxel curves is fixed,I don't know when you fixed it

(maybe you didn't) but it now works without twisting the curve on itself.

Now about branching it would be great that when user select a point to start a new branch the drawing of the curve keep working from the NEXT POINT and so on,right now it always start back at the FIRST POINT selected for branching.

It is keeping voxel curves drawing from half of it's potential.

Thanx :)

• Advanced Member

The visibility controls for objects and materials are a bit clunky if you are working with multiple sub-objects. There is also a bit of conflict between the visibility control for sub-objects and the one for materials. If you hide by sub-object and then show and hide by material the sub-object does not update so it still shows it as invisible in the palette. To get it to work from sub-object again you have to click show and hide again. It would be good if changing visibility in one would update the other.

Also: there is no quick way to isolate only one object visibility using materials or sub-objects. It would be handy to have a feature like Photoshop where you can alt-click on the eye icon and it would hide all other sub-objects or all other materials etc.

b

• Advanced Member

Presets - Allow saving of the voxel tool rather than just the values. What im currently doing due to this is i have docked the presets tab and i name them like -

Clay - Mask layer

Smooth - Slight

Smooth - Heavy

Etc so that way i know what tool they are for, it would also be great to have folders for these as i find them a great way to save time after finding nice settings to use.

---

A spray can/random tool - Basically you would pick a pen and a tool to work with. Then set a spray amount which sets the amount of dots/particles to spray. You then set a max and min depth and it randomly sprays the pen/brush using a random radius with the values set. It would be better yet with depth and the other brush/pen values also having a min/max. An example of where this would be very useful is in organic modelling where you are adding spots and scales etc to monsters and it would give you a much more realistic result than if you were just clicking and you would also save time.

• Advanced Member

I'd like to have a toggle for transparency in the voxel tree, perhaps nested within the visibility toggle so you could cycle through them by clicking on the button. This would be useful when you have multiple voxel objects overlapping each other and you need to be able to sculpt on one that is being covered by another. Sometimes it's more useful to be able to see an object while you sculpt on another rather than just making it completely invisible. I use the transparency feature for subtools in zb for this quite a lot as often the changes I make on one subtool are in direct reference to another subtool that it intersects with.

Selection and masking options, both paint, lasso and window modes - as 3dioot already mentioned elsewhere, it would be good to separate this stuff from other tools such as pose, etc, as they can be very useful for other things than doing transforms. I do lots of detail sculpting by painting masks in ZB and then applying the inflate modifier - which will raise or lower unmasked surfaces evenly across your mesh. Great for doing intricate line work, etching etc.

There is ongoing discussion elsewhere in these forums about refining 3dcoat's brush and voxel tools to be better equipped at handling higher resolution sculpting. I would really like to see more focus put into these areas through this release as currently I don't find voxels easy enough to work with at higher resolutions either. My preference right now is to build up a sculpt, retopo it and then finish that off in zbrush. I'd love nothing more than to work to full completion in 3dcoat though, especially if I could take advantage of normal mapping, occlusion baking etc all from a high resolution voxel mesh.

At some point I think greater focus on the UV tools is going to be necessary too - perhaps the ability to join multiple retopo meshes and their uvs into one would be good. Often this type of process is done in a 3d app, since they are better equiped to handle that stuff. A lot of my characters are built and sculpted from many pieces, which get consolidated down into only a couple of meshes with one or two UV maps for baking and final texturing. Being able to do all this in 3dcoat would save another export hassle. This would mean a need for more basic 3d editing tools eventually. Not a big priority for me yet... I'm much more interested in seeing the voxel and paint tools evolve. This is where 3dcoat has the most potential to improve and gain customers.

I don't think there are many artists who are interested in using multiple sculpting apps the way I use 3dc and zb right now. I think that if voxels ever get fully realized, you'll then see a lot more people migrating to 3dcoat as a one stop solution rather than adding it as yet another tool, complicating their pipeline.

• Advanced Member

I thought you guys might be interested in knowing Sensable has released V2 of Claytools.

Here's a link to the what's new doc: http://www.sensable.com/documents/document...ls_WhatsNew.pdf

The new layer tool looks great. Could be some inspiration for a similar tool in 3dcoat.

The pinch with curve is nice too.

Cheers,

Franck.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to have a toggle for transparency in the voxel tree, perhaps nested within the visibility toggle so you could cycle through them by clicking on the button. This would be useful when you have multiple voxel objects overlapping each other and you need to be able to sculpt on one that is being covered by another. Sometimes it's more useful to be able to see an object while you sculpt on another rather than just making it completely invisible. I use the transparency feature for subtools in zb for this quite a lot as often the changes I make on one subtool are in direct reference to another subtool that it intersects with.

Selection and masking options, both paint, lasso and window modes - as 3dioot already mentioned elsewhere, it would be good to separate this stuff from other tools such as pose, etc, as they can be very useful for other things than doing transforms. I do lots of detail sculpting by painting masks in ZB and then applying the inflate modifier - which will raise or lower unmasked surfaces evenly across your mesh. Great for doing intricate line work, etching etc.

There is ongoing discussion elsewhere in these forums about refining 3dcoat's brush and voxel tools to be better equipped at handling higher resolution sculpting. I would really like to see more focus put into these areas through this release as currently I don't find voxels easy enough to work with at higher resolutions either. My preference right now is to build up a sculpt, retopo it and then finish that off in zbrush. I'd love nothing more than to work to full completion in 3dcoat though, especially if I could take advantage of normal mapping, occlusion baking etc all from a high resolution voxel mesh.

At some point I think greater focus on the UV tools is going to be necessary too - perhaps the ability to join multiple retopo meshes and their uvs into one would be good. Often this type of process is done in a 3d app, since they are better equiped to handle that stuff. A lot of my characters are built and sculpted from many pieces, which get consolidated down into only a couple of meshes with one or two UV maps for baking and final texturing. Being able to do all this in 3dcoat would save another export hassle. This would mean a need for more basic 3d editing tools eventually. Not a big priority for me yet... I'm much more interested in seeing the voxel and paint tools evolve. This is where 3dcoat has the most potential to improve and gain customers.

I don't think there are many artists who are interested in using multiple sculpting apps the way I use 3dc and zb right now. I think that if voxels ever get fully realized, you'll then see a lot more people migrating to 3dcoat as a one stop solution rather than adding it as yet another tool, complicating their pipeline.

I agree with everything you said, specially with the part of " currently I don't find voxels easy enough to work with at higher resolutions either "

" I'd love nothing more than to work to full completion in 3dcoat though, especially if I could take advantage of normal mapping, occlusion baking etc all from a high resolution voxel mesh. "

+ Masking is also a big on, been masking by Alpha, Lasso, Cavity its a very powerful tool

The current Pose tool I find not very intuitive specially when you are trying to pose fingers or large objects.... something like a ZSphere 2

So the voxels themselves " Turn " into a rig by pressing something like Shift + A and when you are done posing your model press Shift + A again and you are back to Voxels !

iWIRES: An Analyze-and-Edit Approach to Shape Manipulation

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~galran/papers/iWires/

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~galran/papers/iWires/iWires.mov

Paper: http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~galran/papers/iWires/iWires.pdf

Abstract:

Man-made objects are largely dominated by a few typical features that carry special characteristics and engineered meanings. State-of-the-art deformation tools fall short at preserving such characteristic features and global structure. We introduce iWires, a novel approach based on the argument that man-made models can be distilled using a few special 1D wires and their mutual relations. We hypothesize that maintaining the properties of such a small number of wires allows preserving the defining characteristics of the entire object. We introduce an analyze-and-edit approach, where prior to editing, we perform a light-weight analysis of the input shape to extract a descriptive set of wires. Analyzing the individual and mutual properties of the wires, and augmenting them with geometric attributes makes them intelligent and ready to be manipulated. Editing the object by modifying the intelligent wires leads to a powerful editing framework that retains the original design intent and object characteristics. We show numerous results of manipulation of man-made shapes using our editing technique.

Hi Andrew this is my personal dream feature ! to have the ability to pick a model and " explore " all possible directions

and combinations in a " None Destructive way "

This feature would truly revolutionize the way we create things not to mention it would push 3DCoat pass the competition and into a whole new league !

It would open 3DCoat to others markets such as industrial designers, automotive design, etc...

I really hope after you see there demo you see the tremendous possibilities with non destructive shape manipulation :)

thank you for your time

:clapping:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

Hi,

I am one happy camper again now linux version development resumed after 5 or so years.

However there is one feature I would like above any other:

I would like to be able to import model + cameras from fbx and load an image associated with that camera. The purpose for that is to be able to paint/project images from camera from photogrammetry software (metashape in my case). They would greatly enhance the process of cleaning models and fixing textures on photo scanned objects.

I would imagine new type of panel with all the cameras listed, double clicking on camera name would set the viewport to that camera.

Cheers

• Carlosan pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to 2024 Feature requests wishlist
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic