3DCoat Forums

2024 Feature requests wishlist

Andrew Shpagin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
14 hours ago, nobackup said:

when working with instances and the hide tool I would like the ability for hidden geometry to also be instanced.  for example in the video, when I separate the hidden geo, It would be SO much better if the instance also did this action. 

i believe that is suppose to happen...

what you showed might be a bug

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Please assign the ''apply/ enter/ commit'' command to a single command.

1-The command 'enter', should always be present in the options window that appears when you activate a tool, obviously when you need to have an ''enter'' operation...for type of functions that require it.

For example: I use voxel hide + vertex lasso and there are several objects in the viewport.
I have auto-pick active.
Given these conditions it is difficult to do voxel hide only on the mesh you are interested in, because sometimes you need to click on other objects to get the curve you want.
Especially if the last click of vertex lasso is on the object you don't want. Although it is possible with some trick to get around this little problem.
An enter key would allow you to bypass this.
I could tell you to put enter only for vertex lasso, but at this point it is more elegant to complete the concept on all tools that require it in some way.

2-Please allow the enter key to be assigned to other keys as well, for example the A key. It is also important that it joins to the 'invert tool' combination.
Since it is a key that is used very often, having it near your left hand (if you drawing with right hand) is very convenient.
I was only able to map enter to A key for some functions, and in any case I cannot use it for ANY operation that requires ''apply'' because the hotkey accept only several tools.
If this feature were present, the apply command would be used for creating primitives, operations on objects, curves, etc.

Edited by rubeos

• Advanced Member
3 linked requests:

1: example: I detach the '' edit '' window and place it in the viewport where I want. Then I activate voxel hide: the window disappears:huh:. This also happens randomly with other windows / popups in the top bar. I would like windows and popups to stay where I placed them as long as I want.

2: I would like windows and popups ALL to be inserted ON THE FLY in the side bars and windows, if it is what I want in that moment. As happens for example for other popups, such as '' tool options ''. Why can't this be done for all windows?
For example I cannot put the '' edit '' window next to '' curves tree ''.

3: opening 'costumize navigation' the window does not stay where you put it but always returns to the center of the scene, preventing you from visually checking what you are doing with the parameters of the window itself.
In summary, it would be nice to have uniformity in the behavior of the windows.

Edited by rubeos

• Advanced Member

Please allow previews of primitives (primitive tool) to be moved, rotated, scaled, with ''transform without gizmo'' shortcuts.
It would be useful and also it would unify the commands.

Screenot_22.jpg.01f9bd684f3582fd3e54cd8726e93c62.jpg

The new ''blender'' transform system is great. I mapped the keys more useful for me, though less logically, than in Blender.

Since the transformation commands are the most used ones, after the navigation ones, I moved ''move'' to Z, ''scale'' to X, and ''rotate'' C. The keys closest to the left hand, and fastest.
I recommend this combination for more speed, even if there are cases where I consider more useful the gizmo.

Edited by rubeos

• Advanced Member
21 minutes ago, rubeos said:

Please allow previews of primitives (primitive tool) to be moved, rotated, scaled, with ''transform without gizmo'' shortcuts.

Try using a combination of the following keys with 'Transform without gizmo'  turned on.
key : (W, E, R) + (x, y, z)

W: move
E: rotate
R: scale
x, y, z : each axis

You can also switch by pressing 'E (rotate)' or 'R (scale)' while moving with 'W'.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Yousung said:

Try using a combination of the following keys with 'Transform without gizmo'  turned on.
key : (W, E, R) + (x, y, z)

W: move
E: rotate
R: scale
x, y, z : each axis

You can also switch by pressing 'E (rotate)' or 'R (scale)' while moving with 'W'.

Thanks for your advice:), but I'd like to keep the shortcuts I've gotten used to. Since it is possible to map 3Dcoat keys I would like the previews of the primitives to be moveable, scalable, rotatable, with the keys I assign.

If this is not possible, ok, now I know.

Right now my custom shortcuts  works fine for the ''transform'' command.
So I move the meshes with Z, scale with X, rotate with C. Snap on axis Z,X,C for each of them.

Edited by rubeos

• Advanced Member

Small suggestion for small improvements of the program:

Would be useful a handle, to move primitive previews, instead of the little dot at the bottom of the primitives. Because in orthogonal views it is difficult to click, because when you work in axonometric view and you lock view on the axes it overlaps to the command rotate or scale.

Screenssfhot_1.jpg.90103778f5f6847ad706fc2deaecd185.jpg

Scshot_49.jpg.1745263745f4f4efe4b3401940651d16.jpg

Edited by rubeos

• Advanced Member

Please add  Blender navigation scheme in preset. Blender navigation, for the users using stylus tablet is this:

ctrl + shift + left click = pan; left click + alt = rotate camera; alt + ctrl + left click = zoom.
(Emulate 3d button mouse; continuous grab).

As I said start from here https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25785-3dcoat-20212-development-thread/&do=findComment&comment=180848  my personal attempt to customize the navigation has failed ... or better, it only works halfway.

Pros:

- in 3DCoat there are already several presets: Maya, XSI, Zbrush (not working fine), so why shouldn't there be Blender, which is one of the most popular software?
And I think, also it is 3dcoat friend software. Furthermore, the combination of Blender is the same of Moi3D, Modo, and others.

- on youtube and around it is often seen using Blender in the 3DCoat pipeline, using 3DCoat in combination with Blender. Many artists use both, for one reason or another...you already know.

- in general, getting into a software and finding the navigation you are used to, is one of the best things you can find, a fantastic option that is always underestimated by programmers. The beginner immediately feels at ease and is more motivated to learn the new software.

Cons: 

-they don't come to mind, whoever doesn't want the blender preset keeps using the others.

Edited by rubeos
  • Like 1

3DC let you to add custom preset navigations using the command Customize Navigation

Customize.jpg

Try using this basic setup i made for fast test, copy it inside C:\Users\username\Documents\3DCoat\UserPrefs\NavigationPresets

BLENDER.navigation

• Advanced Member

Thank you. I tried your file.
Unfortunately I still have the same problem: when I activate some tools, such as voxel hide, zoom and pan are blocked. But the navigation works correctly when I use for example the tool ''primitive''.
Maybe then it depends on my wacom tablet, or other hardware, I don't know.

As I said in the other topic, I found a little trick, which improves things, but it does not solve the problem. It consists in activating the ''simultaneous'' function, in the setup navigation window.

In this way I can use pan and zoom, but obviously the relative movements in the viewport are more difficult to control.
Even though I have simoultaneous enabled sometimes the navigation comes back without simoultaneous.

Edited by rubeos

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

it is working fine from my side. Try disabling inside/outside mesh function.

I've tried this before, but it doesn't work.

How exactly is blocked, just selectiong the tool stop working or it is something else...

Just selectioning some tools, seems to me..
For example if I am using primitives, or pinch, or inflate and others brushes the navigation works correctly.
But if I switch to many other brushes or functions navigation dont works, for example it crashes with vox hide, blob, sphere, cut off...most of the tools.
The problem is always reproducible on my computer.
And it seems to me that there is no other reason why it doesn't work, some tools blender scheme works and with others tools it doesn't.

This is the navigation scheme I use now, with simoultaneous option activated.

3dcoat 24apr22.navigation

Edited by rubeos

Using you scheme on version 2022.21 no crash from my side but found some command duplicate (move in screen space as example)

image.png

Try beginning a new and empty scheme to avoid any issue.

Note: some tools use hard coded hotkeys that interfere with your settings. 

I don't think that combination is possible (tool + navigation)

• Advanced Member

I used 2022.16 version.

Now I installed 2022.22, the latest i think.
I have tried everything you say but unfortunately nothing works :(
It's really strange because there is a old version (or maybe exist more than one) 2021 that didn't have this problem. In fact I ran on that one for a long time, even though newer versions were available, only because I could navigate fine.
I hope that this little problem will be solved. And it is possible to find an already Blender default scheme, even for new users benefit.

Edited by rubeos
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Maybe something I have missed during those years, or maybe a feature missing,

while using attach to layer, a lot of times I prefer to disable the normal map because I never fund any option to set the scale of the material accordingly to the size of the model I need, like on this screenshot:

1945911396_Screenshotat2022-04-26101710.thumb.png.92d42de2997fe405ac028da9e89a7c9b.png

I mean, I Know I can set the size while the material is not attached to the layer, but the size will be reset if I swap to another material, what I usually do while i want to check for best choice in context.

Edited by blackant Master

• Advanced Member

3Dcoat's curve surface system is unique and amazing, and has enormous, HUGE potential.

I don't know if this feature is already present, but I was wondering if it would be possible in the future, in addition to other improvements, to add a ''grid'' inside the curved mesh. So as to have edges and points control inside the mesh preview.
Like this:

Scrnshot_130.thumb.jpg.7576ececcc68550cbfa18ee5b86c7826.jpg

This would allow to get even closer to the concept of ''virtual subdivision subsurface''' in short, something similar to subd, but with the simpler rules of voxels.

To have a complete system that acts as an approximation for the classical subsurface/nurbs technique, would be something incredible, wonderful.
Because it would allow to bypass almost all the constraints of ordinary modeling and topology, but retaining the accuracy and editability of the curves. It would also be easy to ''copy'' existing objects from photos, in a faster way.
With voxels this is currently almost 100% possible for hard planar surfaces, inscribed in solids with angled and flat faces...boolean etc, but not easily and accurately possible for objects with many intersecting curved surfaces, like cars.

I don't know, maybe 3Dcoat team has already programmed this into its development plans.

Edited by rubeos
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, rubeos said:

3Dcoat's curve surface system is unique and amazing, and has enormous, HUGE potential.

I don't know if this feature is already present, but I was wondering if it would be possible in the future, in addition to other improvements, to add a ''grid'' inside the curved mesh. So as to have edges and points control inside the mesh preview.
Like this:

Scrnshot_130.thumb.jpg.7576ececcc68550cbfa18ee5b86c7826.jpg

This would allow to get even closer to the concept of ''virtual subdivision subsurface''' in short, something similar to subd, but with the simpler rules of voxels.

To have a complete system that acts as an approximation for the classical subsurface/nurbs technique, would be something incredible, wonderful.
Because it would allow to bypass almost all the constraints of ordinary modeling and topology, but retaining the accuracy and editability of the curves. It would also be easy to ''copy'' existing objects from photos, in a faster way.
With voxels this is currently almost 100% possible for hard planar surfaces, inscribed in solids with angled and flat faces...boolean etc, but not easily and accurately possible for objects with many intersecting curved surfaces, like cars.

I don't know, maybe 3Dcoat team has already programmed this into its development plans.

This is a great idea!  I've had very similar thoughts...check out this thread.  

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

See please, in room Modeling Tool Surface Patch.

I want to make a short video.

image.png

Thanks! I'll gladly watch that video.
I took a look and that tool is very similar to what I was asking above.
Just something, in my idea the patch surface is ''live'', that is, you can move, scale, internal vertex and vertex groups until you do an apply/enter...and you can work it in the sculpting room, so that I can interact with the rest of the voxel/surface meshes already present, with sculpting tools too ...I dont know if is already possible.
(((Of course this could be just the beginning..it would be nice to be able to easily bind patches together, extrude, and all other classic modeling operations))). I am just a beginner..these are just ideas.

Edited by rubeos

• Carlosan changed the title to 2023 Feature requests wishlist
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to 2024 Feature requests wishlist
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic