3DCoat Forums

2024 Feature requests wishlist

Andrew Shpagin

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Why are quads needed?

when i say Quads... what i mean it a traditional method of dealing with polygons..

like being able to sculpt onto flat planes.. , being able to incorporate modelling in with sculpting .

modelling tools ,retopo should all be in the sculpt room or at least have a smoother workflow between them.

when im working on hard surface sculpting i need to be able to retopo my mesh create hard edges subd my mesh and also be able to sculpt on that mesh without taking it back into sculpt room and having voxels destroy all the work ive put into creating great topology

these are very important things for working on polished models..

i know what youre saying but zbrush has these... yes exactly lets say that zbrush is a wheel.. and 3dcoat is a square with rounded edges... both will move when rotated on the ground but the square edges will make the journey longer and a bit more uncomfortable..

dont get me wrong,i love the freedom voxels give but i also want to be able to control my mesh afterwards to really polish it

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

being able to click a button and select the bordered edges of a mesh, smooth said mesh retopo ..

alot of my work consists of hard surface so these are very important to me ,i know this is very core programming and not just anyone can do it, and it would probably take a long time to implement but i really feel its what 3dcoat is missing..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elemeno said:

being able to click a button and select the bordered edges of a mesh, smooth said mesh retopo ..

alot of my work consists of hard surface so these are very important to me ,i know this is very core programming and not just anyone can do it, and it would probably take a long time to implement but i really feel its what 3dcoat is missing..

I Second this

• Contributor

Hi there!

I'd love to have the Updates Manager notifying me when a new build for Linux is published, like Windows builds do.

There's no need to be able to download or install the build. But just the notification would be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any consideration you may take on the matter.

I work in the game industry as a generalist and I regularly use 3D Coat, and for me, the #1 feature I need badly is the ability to import meshes that have multiple UV sets on the same set of vertices. In the game engine I regularly work with complex shaders where I'll have different textures on different UV sets on the same mesh. 

Example workflow: 

I'm building a low poly environment model for a mobile game. It's a single FBX file with a bunch of walls and buildings.
The environment model's albedo is coming from a trim sheet, with a corresponding UV set on the model.  
The environment model's baked shadows are coming from an Atlased light bake from 3D-Coat, with its own UV set.  

What I currently have to do:
-Delete a bunch of UV sets, import into 3D Coat
-Export back to Maya
-Use transfer UV to get 3D Coat's UVs into the old Maya model

What I'd like to do:
-Import into 3D Coat with the UV sets preserved 
-Be able to choose which UV set I want to work with in the UV room

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of wishes on my list:

1) Can we have an app-link to move back and forth between 3DCoat and Reallusion's Character Creator and iClone?  The one thing that is lacking with 3DCoat is that you can't rig bones.  Reallusion's AccuRIG system also utilizes a voxelized smoothed mesh weights.  Character Creator could prove useful for kitbashing and easy way to edit character looks as well as rigging character models?

2) I'm not sure if there's something like this existing but extrude or boolean comes close.  A guide line system in which you can have a line, plane, curve, etc... in which when you add clay to the model, the guide line(s) act as a barrier to prevent the voxels from spilling over/out.  Maybe make this an extension of the measure tool for the lines you draw and use it as a guideline in which voxels won't go past this line?  Or even use a surface model (as a reference) as a bounding box/area in which will contain the voxel model and keep any voxels from spilling out of the surface model?

3) Maybe add a feature in which when you import a 2D image as a reference image, the voxel clay will automatically take shape of the 2D image you import in orthographic view (as a starting point), both X and Y axis (or you can do this in just one of the axis)?  For those of us who don't have a lot of time on our hands, anything that could help speed up a sculpt is appreciated.

4) Seems like the directional keys on a keyboard isn't used for anything (by default).  Maybe use them in a way in which you can also control the camera?  So in this case, pressing the LEFT key on the keyboard will rotate the camera left around the model (in 45 degree increments, or whatever the user decides)?  The RIGHT key does the opposite.  The UP key can rotate the camera upwards and DOWN key is opposite of the UP key.

5) I would love to see a hair room, in which we could create hairs using hair cards or hair particles.  Maybe someone has already mentioned this?

6) An improved version of the Vox Hide tool.  The only thing that works better than Vox Hide is Cell, but When using either Vox Hide or Cell, there should be an option that allows the user to auto-freeze the edges, so that the edges can't move while you sculpt and the portion of the voxel hidden areas can remain unaffected.  An example, is when you're working on fingers or toes, you often need to hide certain fingers or toes and when your brush gets close to the hidden edges of the voxel, it deforms, instead of retaining its shape (between the hidden and unhidden areas).

7) Maybe it's just me, but the Vox Hide tool doesn't seem to work as intended when using various lasso tools.  Even if I have the ignore back faces toggled on, I should be able to just hide the voxels all the way through, but it doesn't.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 11/13/2022 at 4:15 PM, Elemeno said:

In the Retopo Workspace, if you have the SELECT TOOL > EDGES MODE active, you can click the SELECT SHARP button in the SELECTED section of the tool panel...or RMB click in the viewport and click the tool in the RMB quick menu. Is that what you are looking for?

• Advanced Member

what would be really amazing is a proper ui... something that makes sense , so the paint room channels being seperate like how Substance painter does it.. clear layers ,
also just have all meshes in one box... no polygroups , just have a column next to mesh [pg] and in that box you can "RMB" and convert to voxels or surface

Support of alpha shapes for the Pencil tool (pixel art texturing workflow)

Apparently the pencil tool does not support alpha shapes, even though the selected shapes do get displayed in the cursor of the pencil.
This also applies to the other three paint channels (depth, color, glossiness). 

I'd really like to see 3DCoat become more versatile in terms of pixel perfect / 3D pixel art texturing workflows.
That's why I'd like to ask for the following two features:

- The pencil tool supporting alpha shapes and the other paint channels, just like in the brush tool
- The preview icons of alpha shapes for the pencil tool being generated with nearest neighbor interpolation instead of bilinear/bicubic, according to the pixel precise application of the pencil.

This would allow a precise and quick application of dithering and other pixel art pattern brushes, simple placement of pixel art decals (with 2 colors) or a randomized pixel spray to name a few applications.

Daniel Aurbet is giving feedback to the 3dcoat software about sculpt for stylized characters, please developers, listen to his arguments to improve the sculpt room. I agree with him, and I'm sure that other 3dcoat users are thinking the same. The software is amazing! And you can better the sculpt room with these suggestions. The suggestions start in the minute 13 or 14.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 1/13/2023 at 11:52 AM, thinkinmonkey said:

Good morning,

my wish is to have a smooth gradient selection given two curves (closed or opened), so we could have a new way to select voxels.
For example, like in the image, I could create blade edge following better the shape I need.

Thank you.

2023-01-13_10-42.png

Do you mean like this? If so, I have requested something like it in the past...like a SPLINE mode for the Pose tool.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Do you mean like this? If so, I have requested something like it in the past...like a SPLINE mode for the Pose tool.

This is a nice tool, but it's not what I was thinking for.
What I meant is given a voxel mesh, we draw two curves, so we will have a smooth masking/selection of voxels contained in these two curves going from curve A  to curve B, then we can transform this soft selection according our needs, for example, just think the silhouetteof a fantasy axes for games: you can draw one curve for the blade should start and the second one just outside/closest-as-possible to the mesh, then you can scale down and having a blade.

You could also use this double curve soft selection also for doing some decorative patterns like flower shapes.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

What build are you using? As you can see in the GIF above, with build 57 I get absolutely nothing.

Try working in select edges rather than select vertices and selecting just the edges that you want to rearrange into a circle (you won't see any preview as you would when aligning to a plane so you'll need to hit Apply to see the results).

image.gif.de6827c0605b86c7714dece55d93bdfc.gif

11 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

You must to select Face for align by circle

I just tried Faces, Vertices and Edges but could only get it to work with edges selected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

can we get a hpolish tool... something that appreciates edges but smooths out the mesh

to be able to toggle between just smoothing or smooth the edge flat , just a brush called polish would be amazing :D along with quads ;)

keep up the amazing work guys big loves

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

can we get some sort of way to edit our mesh in the modelling room , and separate parts of the mesh, i could sculpt for an hour on a specific area and just realised it was on the same layer as something next to something ... which texturing is going to be a nightmare now... as i have to paint around it.

• Carlosan changed the title to 2024 Feature requests wishlist
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic