3DCoat Forums

2024 Feature requests wishlist

Andrew Shpagin

Urgent Request

Andrew:

I know I keep harping about this, but could you add a voxel tool that places an adjustable resolution sphere (defaulting to low) either in empty space or indented into the surface of whatever geometry is already present in the viewport? Like the "2D" tool, right clicking could set its place in space or on the surface of existing geometry. Or, left clicking on an object could set the x/y/z surface location and right clicking and dragging could "indent" the sphere, (aligned by surface normal). by varying degrees based on amount of drag, into the surface of whatever mesh is already present.

Then, if you really wanted to, you could eliminate the long waiting period for bringing in the initial high resolution sphere by starting voxel mode with an empty scene.

Thanks, and take your time, no rush,

Psmith

Hi Andrew,

first i want to thank you for the Vs that is soon gonna make every software envy 3d-coat.

i However have a request for a tool that can help all people with low ram and pc power, give them the high resolution they still need.

i was thinking of "empty model" button, that can delete all the inside of the Volumetric model, and only keep the skin or surface(later on a thickness control would be great), in this way i guess the number of voxels would become less and stress less the cpu and ram, i might be wrong cause i don't know anything about programming, but i think this is logical.

secondly it would solve a bug i had with the move tool, once i move a part , a hidden cavity appears inside of the model, like an air chamber inside of the model, that makes the carve tool and some others (not all) jump from inside wall to the surface. i know i should probably post it in the bugzz section but it seemed related to the request so i put it here,

Thanks,

BachNick

• Advanced Member

Specific volumetric feature:

Because I post this a long time agon in a not so far sub forum, I prefer to post this here again, like this it will not be lost.

I especially love these feature that you can see in these videos:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=nmLKdFJCzQw

At the begining he is importing a premade ear and tweak it, that can seriously cut some time in the creation process.

Next he is cloning fingers at 2:55 that can really be usefull.

I like also the trim tools that you can see in this video http://sensable.com/documents/Galleries/Vi...o_WithAudio.wmv

And If I can add something else, getting curve that stick to the surface and not screen based could be really appreciated.

Using these curve and the pinch tool could help you to have precise sharp edge.

Edit:

Needed Request:

I don't know if it's hard to do it with VS, but I really wish to see an Inflat brush, this tool is absolutly needed for roughing fingers, toes.

I miss it a lot.

Mark, copy and paste object parts

I would like to see a feature that allows me to copy a marked area of a volumetric object and paste it to another place. Before I do that, it should be possible to rotate, and scale the copied part.

Thank you.

With best regards

Chris

• Advanced Member

second this! maybe it can be clone tool as well

I would like to see a feature that allows me to copy an marked area of a volumetric object and paste it to another place. Before I do that, it should be possible to rotate, and scale the copied part.

Thank you.

With best regards

Chris

I would like to see a feature that allows me to copy a marked area of a volumetric object and paste it to another place. Before I do that, it should be possible to rotate, and scale the copied part.

Thank you.

With best regards

Chris

This is a very good idea, but I have no idea how difficult this would be for Andrew to include.

Psmith

• Advanced Member

Look at the video I posted above, that's what he do in claytool, he import an ear that he past to his face, and next after doing a finger he just select it and clone it.

That's really powerful, and this kind of technique (reuse premade assets) is widely use in the industry.

Even if the character is not really beautiful the technique shown in this video worth to watch it.

• Advanced Member

To prevent breaks in the stroke when the tablet pressure change quickly, and when you use a pressure-dependant stroke, could you add an option to smooth brush radius changes and opacity over time ?

Another important thing : very often, when i smooth a thin voxel surface, this surface collapse/disappear. to avoid that, could you add the old 2D smooth brush to the voxel toolset ?

post-476-1223403858_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Not urgent request. I noticed you have "Cast Shadows" in alpha 24 and you can turn it on/off for different shaders. Is it possible to add "Ambient Occulusion" on/off switch also? You can turn this on/off in Mudbox 2009 and its very useful for sculpting/painting.

• Advanced Member
Is it possible to add "Ambient Occulusion" on/off switch also? You can turn this on/off in Mudbox 2009 and its very useful for sculpting/painting.

Do you mean "Cavity"? either way, i was also thinking it would be nice to have an on/off for this.

Eventually, it would be nice to be able to embed custom UI code in the shader that would display changeable settings (ie cavity color, spec, shadow softness, etc)

• Advanced Member

Being able to rotate the sculpt and have it snap in 90 degree increments would be useful i think.

For example, I would like to be able to hold Alt+Shift while rotating and have my model snap at a perfect side, front, back, etc view.

Using the numpad with preset views is nice but it does not keep the model in the same spot.

Maybe I've been too busy playing with new tools rather than learning 2.10 but if there is not a proper image plane tool can we get that as well?

Here's a photo I found which is what I'm talking about...it would be a huge life saver for sculpting specific shapes. Sorry if it's been requested and or in the app already ;):D

post-898-1223429964_thumb.jpg

To prevent breaks in the stroke when the tablet pressure change quickly, and when you use a pressure-dependant stroke, could you add an option to smooth brush radius changes and opacity over time ?

I agree, the tablet support must be revised. It's ok, but the other tools make it better.

Regards

Chris

• Advanced Member

While looking at Jokermax post, (found here http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...ost&p=9455) I have to agree with him that the current tool can be perfected to help to create baseform.

Here you can see two video about freeform and its base creation tools.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=T2FxrCW9fzk

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=DzXcdzc5rX0

I prefer the first one but the second can be really handy to have a really rough mesh.

I played with the current tools, and using curve tool I tried to mimic the first video.

Here is my video:

http://screencast.com/t/sNIWzw0iz

And now what I think should be perfected to be like the first video.

-When you create a curve on the symmetry plane you should have only one curve and not two curve ontop of each other.

-Being able to tweak the curve in a "move tool" way (like you can see in the video) before or after its creation.

-The Red Spheres are too big and are not resizing when you resize your curve, it should fit the size of your current curve.

-The curve should disappear while you create your voxel curve, I am always hitting escape to do this manually, but maybe that's a question of preferences.

The current curve tool is really good for creating... curves :)

But maybe you can use the current curve tool and improve it to make a new tool for creating base form with the modification I pointed out.

This could be called a bug or feature request I guess. I noticed that the new DOF plane has a limit. You can only move it so far away from the origin (0,0,0 in world space), then it stops. It might be nicer if it had something like LightWave's mini-sliders (see video) that would allow it to keep going infinitely.

http://screencast.com/t/yy8sBUSD

Of course in the video I showed 3 of them and this would only need one (forward / backward).

• Advanced Member

I think we are lacking of a true Volumetric sculpting tool.

For the moment the tool we've got are close to surface's base tool.

Because they are dependant of the surface you are working on, and you can't stroke beyond this surface and continue your stroke.

Take a look at this video http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=pLHWXyTrdNI, you can see that he is using this kind of tool, for roughing in the Neck.

I think that we need this tool, for me it is an essential tool for VS, like Standard brush is for Surface sculpting.

Like I said in Jokermax thread, the main difference between freeform and 3Dcoat is that 3Dcoat use only a tablet pc for the moment.

With an haptic device you can stroke in 3D and with a tablet you can only stroke in 2D.

So you have to trick to get close to this tool.

You could do it like this:

-First stroke on the model define the depth of the stroke

-Then you build your form depending on screen space or surface's normal (that can be an user defined option)

Like that you can grow your sculpt outside of the surface.

I really think that this tool and the previous one I talked about (the improved curve tool) are needed for an easy roughing of forms.

And that they are (or will become :)) must-have tools.

Double-Sided 2D "Paint" Tool

The "2D" tool is one of 3 tools that let you add geometry starting with nothing. It responds to alpha brush shapes, and you can rely on it for painting on the plane, in space, that you choose. This tool doesn't need a haptic device to be quite useful. However, it is flat on one side, which makes it really a 2 and 1/2 D tool, thus limiting its usefulness.

In the case of the "sphere shaped" alpha brush, setting the depth slider all the way to the right allows you to "dab" a nearly perfect hemisphere, or to "paint" with a hemispherical brush. By simply mirroring this hemisphere so that "dabbing" produces a complete sphere, (if Andrew would make this possible), you could "dab" spheres of different sizes anywhere you choose, or freeform "paint" a spherical path.

By using alpha brushes that are depth representations of cubes, cylinders and tetrahedrons, for example, the "2D" tool would become a tool for placing "primitives" of many varieties anywhere in 3D space, as well. If the arrow keys were assigned to setting rotation angle for these "primitives", you would have a very special and useful tool for all kinds of operations, mechanical and organic.

In addition to adding these functions, if you made the use of "Shift" with this tool into a kind of "SuperSmoother", the tool becomes a psuedo metaball modeling system. Other modifier keys or a translate widget could be added to allow scaling in single axes, rotation and movement in 3D space.

Much better than "Brand X".

What do you think?

Psmith

"Rubber Band Tool"

If we had a tool that allowed placement of a "ring" or "band" which could be adjusted for rotation and axis orientation, that acted like a compression or expansion band, one could place this band around an object like a cylinder, for example, and by "right-clicking and dragging", adjust its tension, thus making the cylinder "taper" or "bulge". Modifier keys could be used to add tension, or inversely, to add "stretch" to this band, thus giving a controlled method for distorting, radially, any shape. Adding adjustable falloff, in addition, would give us a very controlled way of adding radial distortions.

Psmith

• Advanced Member

Detached Tool Options

Can you either, add a bit of a gap between the bottom of the tool buttons ( Shift / Flatten ) and the top of the Tool specific options?

Or ideally - could you make it a separate movable window "Tool Options" ?

- this would greatly benefit laptop users (mine only has an 800 pixel tall screen!)

When you first look at the interface it appears the tool options are all part of the 'surface tools' section and it's quite confusing to beginners. Sorry if this has been suggested already!

• Advanced Member

@Psmith:

That's what I meant by a mix of 2D paint and carve, I meant a tool like 2D plan who could grow blob of clay in space and not just hemisphere (that's what I wrote on Jokermax thread but I forgot to add it there).

But what I don't like about 2D paint is that you always have to right click to redefine your plane and it would be nice to have an option to make it base on screen space.

But yes you're right improving 2D paint will make the job

And if I can add:

Local subdivision:

Is it possible to make a local subdivision with VS?

That could help to increase the performance if you can control the number of marching cubes you got in a finer way.

the 2d paint tool would be great for blocking in volume if it were fixed up a bit. the hemisphere that is flat on the side facing the screen and round on the back is very annoying. I expect it to just be round centered on the plane.

but the big thing that needs work is easily and intuitively setting where the plane sits. if it were so easy to get the plane exactly where you wanted without having to think about it very much it would be awesome.

I just watched this video yesterday and it made me think of this situation. it's pretty damn elegant, everyone should watch it.

http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~shbae/ilovesketch.htm

I also love being able to use the freehand tool to cut away large chunks from a model, but we need to be able to hold ctrl and ADD to the volume. that would rock.

between that, 2d paint, curves, being able to mask and move, and layers for adding primitives and moving them around, we would be set.

@Psmith:

That's what I meant by a mix of 2D paint and carve, I meant a tool like 2D plan who could grow blob of clay in space and not just hemisphere (that's what I wrote on Jokermax thread but I forgot to add it there).

But what I don't like about 2D paint is that you always have to right click to redefine your plane and it would be nice to have an option to make it base on screen space.

But yes you're right improving 2D paint will make the job

And if I can add:

Local subdivision:

Is it possible to make a local subdivision with VS?

That could help to increase the performance if you can control the number of marching cubes you got in a finer way.

You can already use "2D Paint" in the plane of the screen: Just right click anywhere in empty space, and the painting "plane" is set parallel to whatever view you happen to be looking from.

Psmith

• Advanced Member
You can already use "2D Paint" in the plane of the screen: Just right click anywhere in empty space, and the painting "plane" is set parallel to whatever view you happen to be looking from.

Psmith

I think you didn't understand me, I will try to explain it better.

For the moment you have to right click to set your plane, everytime you right click the plane is base on screenspace and after it stay the same until you right click.

But what would be nice is to have the ability to always sculpt in screen space without having to right click.

The plane would be refreshed everytime you move your camera, and the plane would disappear ,because it's useless in this mode.

I don't want to see the current plane being replaced but want to see an other mode (screen space) where you don't have to right click everytime you move your camera.

But I'm not at home and I am unable to test the new release, so "Build' may already do this.

Just want to clarify what I meant.

• Carlosan changed the title to 2024 Feature requests wishlist
  • Carlosan pinned this topic
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic