3DCoat Forums

2024 Feature requests wishlist

Andrew Shpagin

• Advanced Member

Hi - could we have the ability to use Stable Diffusion within 3DC to generate Textures like DreamTextures Addon in Blender? Preferably using the 2.1 Depth Model. 

Edited by insignet
missed the video reference
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Advanced Member

Hi - could we have the ability to use Stable Diffusion within 3DC to generate Textures like DreamTextures Addon in Blender? Preferably using the 2.1 Depth Model. 

I made a try using Ai and substance to material (b2m), and got this pretty cool result, so I vote yes for that, it could really an awesome feature !

ghjki.png

yy.png

Edited by blackant Master

• Reputable Contributor
14 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

with the cut off tool can we can an invert options .. like ctrl lmb will cut out everything outside the shape?

It is already built into the tool. Hold the SHIFT Key. The reason it is not the CTRL key is always the INVERSE, so I suspect Andrew thought the most logical modifier key to cut everything else was the SHIFT key.

• Like 1

A way to quickly and intuitively move/Scale/rotate objects without interacting with the widget? just like blender? think it would be pretty great to have an option for that and shouldn't be hard to implement. once you get used to blender's navigation its painfully hard to go back to widgets.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, allanmrtn said:

A way to quickly and intuitively move/Scale/rotate objects without interacting with the widget? just like blender? think it would be pretty great to have an option for that and shouldn't be hard to implement. once you get used to blender's navigation its painfully hard to go back to widgets.

when youre used to 3dcoat , its painfully hard to use blender again

• Advanced Member

Improving the way we can use pattern type with Fill Tool.
Like for exemple, if you want to use strips on a model, this sill be locked in one direction.
in my case, i would like to use a projection of the strips in cylinder mode, so i have to create a material instead:

1475566860_Screen2023-02-24205519.thumb.png.89b3242b3c1e1a6143dcb55dbd248048.png

• Advanced Member

This concerns the Texture Editor in the paint room. I enjoy having the option of selecting different UDIM tile sets in the upper right corner of the window. However, this only displays one tile (UDIM) at a time with a repeat in U and V directions (tiling).  I would like to see an option to see all of the UDIMs for a given object together in one view (like in the retopo room) while retaining the ability to paint across those udims in the editor, and have an option to turn off the visual tiling that occurs in the editor. The tiling is rather distracting and in my opinion unnecessary in most cases.

3DCoat_1UDIM_Tiling.png

3DCoat_Proposal_Editor.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

This is concerns the paint room radial menu. I am requesting that the Foreground/Background color swatches from the tool menu to be added to the radial menu. I like to hide the tool menu but then have no way of seeing what color is active from the radial menu. Then I have to unhide the tool menu to see what the active color is. In addition it would also be nice to be able to save colors to swatches inside the radial menu as well. 

Add_Fore_Bckd_to_radial.png

• Advanced Member

Something to think about. Industry has moved to node based and procedural workflows. I know that this has begun to be implemented in the shaders, but will need to be implemented in the Paint Room and Sculpt room. This also may lay the foundation for a more database/spreadsheet driven api to handle a large amount of assets and change their parameters all in one menu/dialog. Having many different variables that are accessible in one place is what makes it appealing. This would take a large effort and I understand this is kind of broad proposal. This may be saying what everyone already knows. Thoughts for the future.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Concerning the paint room. Requesting actual physical lights (point lights) that can be moved around scene to light meshes other than just hdr images.

• Advanced Member

Not sure if this has already been asked, but in Retopo Room, could we have a non destructive Smooth Subdiv CC switch? So once subdivided and snapped to sculpt, we don't have to remember to always undo or have to live with the consequences : )

I sometimes retopo objects with only basic broad loops count, keeping subdiv in mind and occassionally hitting "Smooth(CC)" to see how it will look in the end. (That's a common workflow for instance in Topogun).

Not being able to go back from this without having to hit undo directly is a bit interrupting and can cause stress once forgotten to undo and the devisions become permanent (yes, I already save incrementally, but still, needing to load some file from  back then and worst case transfer parts, still not cool).

So I like to request a "Toggle" for Smooth Catmull Clark, so a user can go back and forth, no-destructively, between base geo and snapped subdiv, enabling an accurate preview without actually applying the subdivision. This can be saved for the end, e.g. having a tool button "Apply SmoothCC".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henry Townshend said:

So I like to request a "Toggle" for Smooth Catmull Clark, so a user can go back and forth, no-destructively, between base geo and snapped subdiv, enabling an accurate preview without actually applying the subdivision. This can be saved for the end, e.g. having a tool button "Apply SmoothCC".

Yes! It is a good request!  I'd like to have the ability to previs the model smoothed! It is very useful in animation and vfx, cause' we are going to apply that smooth subdivisions in the render process. but only in render, not in the geometry. Here is an example with maya, I pressed 1 to show low poly, and 3 to show with smooth subd catmull clark. Most of the render engines like arnold, redshift, renderman, use catmull clark subdivisions in the tesellation process. So when in maya I pressed "3" I know that I have 2 catmull clark subdivisions, next in render I set the teselletion to 2 subdivs to get the same result that I have in viewport. I know that 3dcoat has live smooth, but it doesn't work in the same way.image.thumb.gif.5f24f1509331976d2576c8df7c63b6ba.gif

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 3/7/2023 at 3:34 PM, Gorbatovsky said:

So far, we have only implemented this.
Converting low-poly mesh faces to NURBS surfaces using the Catmull-Clark Algorithm. 

Hello @Gorbatovsky! There is another implementation of Smooth CC. The one I was referring to is in Retopo Room. Please let me demonstrate.

In the video you see, there is the option to Smooth CC. However, it is destructive. Once applied, it is permanent, which means I have to undo it immediately after to not have the mesh permanently be subdivided.

However, a common workflow, available in Topo Gun and in Blender (via Shrinkwrap+Subdiv) is to only temporary enable Subdiv to preview your mesh, like @MJonathan described above. The great thing about this is, that if you have "Auto Snap" (Or Shrinkwrap modifer in Blender) enabled, your subdivided mesh immediately snaps to the underlying form. But, you want to just preview it, meaning not actually applying it to the mesh.

This is pretty common, lets say, when retopo'ing a hand, you want to start simple, have the least loops count to encompass the form, and work towards a subdivided result in the end. For this, you need to preview your results during the process.

This of course means you can only alter the existing verts once the preview is toggled on, not the additional verts that get added by the subdivision, as those need to be just "virtual" (jus like Virtual Mirror in 3D Coat! :) ). So maybe say what I like to request is a "Virtual Subdiv CC" during retopo process.

And yes, Live Smooth would be close, but it doesn't work on Retopo Objects afaics.

Edited by Henry Townshend
forgot mention, add info, clarify
  • Like 3

• Advanced Member

Another thing I like to request, less of a feature but more of an important fix of a long term oversight imho, is the lack of Mip Mapping in 3D Coat.

For a texturing app, I find this very disturbing. Textures aggressively sharp out when viewing them at a distance in 3D Coat, making it hard to make proper estimations/look dev.

I know I mentioned and demonstrated this already in multiple places here on the forums, and also wrote Andrew about it, but I recently noticed this again on a more simpler texturing work on my current piece I'm working on.

Please observe how in Marmosets view port, the texture stays smooth at a distance (due to Mip Maps kicking in) and how in 3D Coats view port, the smooth lines on the arms, legs and teeth, get over-sharpened and jagged, making it not very pleasant to work with, and not being congruent with how these textures will look once they are exported to game engines or viewers, which use Mip Mapping by default.

I jus like to make another call for this, as I love 3D Coats paint room, but this makes it hard for me to transition more work to it (among other things like the absence of B+W masks, of course). However this is so fundamental since almost 2 decades, there are no games or viewers not using Mip Mapping. This is a major oversight imho, and not competitive for a modern app anymore, especially not for a texturing app.

I heard GPU Painting overhaul is on the way, maybe this could be an opportunity, as afair, it also speeds up rendering instead of slowing it down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

• Like 2

Hello,

A function that seems simple to me to implement for the new Curves in the painting room (it seems to me that the necessary functions are already present)

Paint Room: selection of two or more closed curves delimiting an area and filling the inner area

Advantage: In the image below, I'm working on a piece of clothing. I would like to fill each area with different materials and reuse the curves in "path generation" mode to add seams.

Thanks for all your work and have a good day!
Ogier

Screen-Shot-03-13-23-at-06.44-PM2.jpg

Edited by Ogier

• Contributor

just hopping in to say I'm very pleased with pose tool in latter versions
feature request first, pose tool feedback second

feature : tool under Sculpt Pose to manipulate pose area using spline, like bone
1. select pose area
2. "best guess" create a spline throughout the entire centroidal axis of the mesh along the length of the pose masked area
3. manipulating the spline will then manipulate the pose area

much much more easier said than done I'll bet

Pose tool feedback 2023.06
according to me previously (2022 and before) pose tool exhibited many issues such as,
- pose area becoming ruined; strong chunky edges after a few operations
- pose area simply starting to diminish when doing innocuous things like hiding / showing transform gizmo
- undo would erase entire pose area and possibly also pose operation, not just a single step

These things are as far as I can tell remedied, and I'm very pleased that I'm now able to make many compound pose operations without risking the mesh breaking into pieces on the way, painstakingly freezing parts to then lose all that progress when posing.

I think it's good on its way now that it might be a reliable means of posing complex figures, without something like rigging tool just to pose a sculpt which ruins the impetus of sculpting, since it becomes so technical and eats away time. thanks and team has my best wishes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to 2024 Feature requests wishlist