3DCoat Forums

2024 Feature requests wishlist

Andrew Shpagin

Hello Andrew :

actually, you can cut through a voxel mesh by using one of the closed cure strokes (circle, square, contour...) whatever the tool you are currently using.

Do you plan to create a unique Cut through tool ?

Maybe there is some sense in this. Especially far plane for cutting through is important. Also it is not easy to find now how to cut through for new user.

• Advanced Member

Do you plan to create a sketching tool like ShapeShop to create quickly basic shapes ?

Do you also plan to create a Select/Copy/Paste/Translate tool to duplicate parts of a model ?

• Advanced Member
Please bring back the knife tool. I do a lot of negative carving and my finger gets tired of holding control.Thank you.

I want to make a suggestion on this. It would be great if you could implement a general toggle for adding or subtracting. This is much better then just replicating a tool only to have it work in reverse with ctrl. It would work with all tools and i think is overall a much nicer solution.

Are you cool with such a solution tree321? :)

3dioot

• Contributor
I want to make a suggestion on this. It would be great if you could implement a general toggle for adding or subtracting. This is much better then just replicating a tool only to have it work in reverse with ctrl. It would work with all tools and i think is overall a much nicer solution.

Are you cool with such a solution tree321? :)

3dioot

Good idea either a sticky key or a check box option for all tools would be nice.Thanks 3dioot.

Edit:Maybe just the negative check box is needed.

post-913-1226112932_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Yes - both.

That is great. It should be extremely useful in roughing out shapes like arms and legs for a character.

- Some basic primitives like Cylinder, Cone and cube would be really helpful. I can understand implementation of these features could be difficult because of orientation issues. But they'd really expand the rigid modeling capabilities quite a bit. I can do a lot just with a sphere and flatten.

- Also having something to deal with near tangent surfaces merging together. For example, the nose on this head I sculpted. I feel the nose needs to be lower. But as I sculpt it lower it starts to merge into the mouth. I guess I have to turn up the resultion to fix this? It's just difficult to tighten and harden some ares of the scuplture, but maybe that is my lack of experience showing.

-Maybe a feature to lower and raise the resolution of the voxels and allow the high resolution data to still be stored? On the head I sculpted, the resolution is bit too high to try adding a body onto it. But that is probably poor planning on my part.

The flatten and pinch tools behave awkwardly when leaving the tool. It does something to the mesh.

But other than that. The software is great. And I think most of these obstacles can be overcome by artists with some proper planning. :)

post-1142-1226522313_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

2 little feature request.

First,the resolution increase could be a percentage slider,so the user can increase resolution at the limit on his system.

Second, the possibility to remove hided part of the sculpt,useful for converting to polygons if the volume is huge.

Let's say I have hided everything but the face in a full body sculpture,it could be cool if only that face could be esported as mesh.

Now if the polycount is high is impossible to export.

• Advanced Member
2 little feature request.

First,the resolution increase could be a percentage slider,so the user can increase resolution at the limit on his system.

Second, the possibility to remove hided part of the sculpt,useful for converting to polygons if the volume is huge.

Let's say I have hided everything but the face in a full body sculpture,it could be cool if only that face could be esported as mesh.

Now if the polycount is high is impossible to export.

I like the idea to remove the hided part!

About increase resolution, I would like to scale the model in a arbitrary way, maybe with a bounding box around the model, with some info about the actual scale percentage and about the final polycount

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Andrew,

okie i have a kinda urgent request, i think its simple to implement and would solve future production issue.

So far importing low res mesh via Topology tool menus and Merge tool in VS yields the correct scale, but the issue is the location in 3D space is off. Check the attach picture. What i need is to both low res mesh and VS merge tool mesh align in 3D space, so i can delete part of the low res mesh and change topology. This would save ALOT of time from having to redo everything!

post-564-1227309267_thumb.jpg

Andrew,

okie i have a kinda urgent request, i think its simple to implement and would solve future production issue.

So far importing low res mesh via Topology tool menus and Merge tool in VS yields the correct scale, but the issue is the location in 3D space is off. Check the attach picture. What i need is to both low res mesh and VS merge tool mesh align in 3D space, so i can delete part of the low res mesh and change topology. This would save ALOT of time from having to redo everything!

Why can't you move low-res mesh to best position manually using gizmo? Or maybe I have not understood request.

• Advanced Member
Why can't you move low-res mesh to best position manually using gizmo? Or maybe I have not understood request.

I tried that before but after hitting enter i get a mess. ;) So eye balling it is not a good idea. I'm sure someone well run into this production related problem in the future. Maybe my request is not so simple, and i understand you busy with CUDA..so no need to implement it yet. I'm curious why mesh brought in thru VS merge tool is at different point in 3D space then mesh brought in via topology tool, it can't random, its has to be coded into 3DC?

post-564-1227339087_thumb.jpg

-Smoothing Selected Area:

Being able to select an area and smoothing it without destroying its curvature, you should probably enable to smooth by averaging, smothing hills and valleys.

Ha! I was just thinking about that yesterday, that it would be great if you could use the Transpose selection to smooth out a specific area. Though now I wonder if the selection color would make it difficult to see how smooth you made it.

• Advanced Member

I like how the tools all maintain their own radius. Except for the smooth tool. Sometimes it is useful that the radius is in sync with current sculpting tool. But it'd also be nice is smooth also maintained it's own seperate radius. Maybe make a button that would cause smooth to be sync with active scuplting tool and then desynced when needed to be seperate?

• Advanced Member

About Brushes Min Thickness:

I think it is necessary to get this kind of behaviour, or behing able to set a minimal thickness of your sculpt. When you are reaching this thickness when you sculpt you will push both side if you are using a normal tool (meaning not carve).

Sculpting brushes except Carve should not allow you to make hole in the sculpt. Maybe getting a general thickness parameter who drives all the brush and an individual setting would be better, like that you can choose the one you want to carve with by setting its setting to 0.

You should push the clay, and if you are sculpting in a thin area instead of making hole when you are close to the backface you should push the surface.

Because right now it's quite difficult to sculpt thin area like hear, and personnaly I don't feel confortable with that at all.

That's not like traditionnal sculpting, if you want to push clay you're using your fingers, if you want to cut off some clay you're using a tool.

Getting a minimal thickness could help with smoothing too, because right now you are able to delete parts of sculpt by smoothing them to max.

That's really noticeable on thin cylinder.

@NinjaTaco: Agreed, it was already said before but a multiplicator that drive the size of smooth brush could help, there is the same thing in Zbrush.

If you recall, the earliest alphas had a red sphere in the brush. I have a feeling that sphere is still there, just not visible. Back in those days I remember someone had an idea to flatten out the sphere like a pancake or something like a deflated basketball. That would probably help with working in thin areas like ears.

Mantis> I was thinking about something very similiar, something like "Preserve volume" button (with some operations like Smooth, you often really don't want to change the volume of object), but I think it can be really difficult to code, so back then I decided to keep it for myself :)

• Advanced Member
Mantis> I was thinking about something very similiar, something like "Preserve volume" button (with some operations like Smooth, you often really don't want to change the volume of object), but I think it can be really difficult to code, so back then I decided to keep it for myself :)

Don't underestimate Skynet, Ups I meant Andrew :lol:

@Philnolan: That could do the trick but the more you are carving the surface the more you will be close to the backface, and you will still end up with an hole.

That's why I thought about this, it's like sculpting in real life, when you want to push your sculpt to give it a shape you don't take clay away, so that should be available.

In Zbrush or Mudbox it works like that but that's just because of the way surface sculpting works.

• Advanced Member

I just wanted to throw in a supporting request for multiple voxel objects and scene management at the voxel level. The more I use 3dcoat the more I feel it can actually be a viable replacement for my more expensive programs... but this one missing thing is what will definitely keep me using Zbrush. I absolutely depend on zbrush for being able to handle many subtools each at high resolutions and still be able to view the entire set of objects on screen at the same time.

Looking forward to the selection/copy/paste feature as well... should make a good replacement for zbrush's mesh extraction (provided you can copy/paste to both the same voxel object or a new one entirely within the scene (most likely use for me). Local subdivision would also be incredibly useful, as often with characters you need a lot more resolution in areas like the face or hands.

Looking forward to being able to edit curve settings for brushes and store presets for them too. Excellent progress so far though - as of alpha build 42.

• Advanced Member
About Brushes Min Thickness:

I think it is necessary to get this kind of behaviour, or behing able to set a minimal thickness of your sculpt. When you are reaching this thickness when you sculpt you will push both side if you are using a normal tool (meaning not carve).

Sculpting brushes except Carve should not allow you to make hole in the sculpt. Maybe getting a general thickness parameter who drives all the brush and an individual setting would be better, like that you can choose the one you want to carve with by setting its setting to 0.

You should push the clay, and if you are sculpting in a thin area instead of making hole when you are close to the backface you should push the surface.

Because right now it's quite difficult to sculpt thin area like hear, and personnaly I don't feel confortable with that at all.

That's not like traditionnal sculpting, if you want to push clay you're using your fingers, if you want to cut off some clay you're using a tool.

Getting a minimal thickness could help with smoothing too, because right now you are able to delete parts of sculpt by smoothing them to max.

That's really noticeable on thin cylinder.

Yes I agree. An option to maintain some kind of thickness without causing holes or snipping of geometry would be helpful. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to lose the ability to snip off geometry or carve holes all the way through as it can be useful at times. But having a minimum thickness setting would really really help with sculpting cloth. Also mentioned already, some kind of threshhold to control blending between surfaces. This could be really tricky to implement with voxels. Maybe the threshhold settings for voxels would only be altered to different threshold settings when touched by a sculpting tool. Otherwise, untouched voxels would maintain their original threshold despite a change in the threshold of the active sculpting tool.

Do voxels have a set universal size?

At the moment, in order to sculpt tight areas we just have to raise the resolution quite a bit. or is there another way?

Another suggestion is an X-ray brush... Basically if we scuptled something thin like cloth. You'd want to be a able to maintain geometry thickness while still being able to adjust the cloth folds. An X-ray brush could push through the object. Pushing one side of the geometry down while pulling out the opposite side of the mesh. X-ray brush would also be really powerful if used in conjunction with some kind of masking tool. Or is this already in 3dc?

I just wanted to throw in a supporting request for multiple voxel objects and scene management at the voxel level. The more I use 3dcoat the more I feel it can actually be a viable replacement for my more expensive programs... but this one missing thing is what will definitely keep me using Zbrush. I absolutely depend on zbrush for being able to handle many subtools each at high resolutions and still be able to view the entire set of objects on screen at the same time.

Agreed. This could replace ZB if it can elegantly handle subtools, be a bit more effective at local detail, and keep improving the brush feel.

I have used alpha42 a bit now (http://www.karyblack.com/wip/wp-content/up...ha42-sluggo.jpg), and it's pretty remarkable how far it has come from alpha38.

For brushes I'd like to see the base settings well exposed so that we can find the best settings ourselves (ie: one of my favourite ZB brushes is a standard brush, with a touch of pinch and a sharp alpha -- basic adjustments, but it makes for a great cutting stroke that helps with both lay-in and detailing).

Subtool handling is pretty obvious, but important. I really don't know how you can do that with voxels, but I hope you can bring something together... even if it's just a (reasonably high quality) poly approximation of the inactive tools -- just something to let you know what you're working with.

Being able to localize the detail would be great. In the above sketch I don't have much to work with in the face area, but if I go to the next level it's too heavy (it would be workable for final details, but I still need to shape out the face etc). Perhaps there is already a way around that I'm not aware of?

On the none voxel side it'll be great to see the ability to paint on a normal mapped right in the viewport... really looking forward to seeing that :D

Tremendous progress at an amazing pace, best of luck going forward :)

On the none voxel side it'll be great to see the ability to paint on a normal mapped right in the viewport... really looking forward to seeing that :D

Maybe I am not understanding you. This has been the main feature of the program since it was called 3D Brush in the very beginning.

• Carlosan changed the title to 2024 Feature requests wishlist
  • Carlosan pinned this topic
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic