3DCoat Forums

2024 Feature requests wishlist

Andrew Shpagin

But what would be nice is to have the ability to always sculpt in screen space without having to right click.

The plane would be refreshed everytime you move your camera, and the plane would disappear ,because it's useless in this mode.

I don't want to see the current plane being replaced but want to see an other mode (screen space) where you don't have to right click everytime you move your camera.

always sculpting in screen space would be nice. then you would just need some way of determining how far back the plane sits.

• Advanced Member
You could do it like this:

-First stroke on the model define the depth of the stroke

-Then you build your form depending on screen space or surface's normal (that can be an user defined option)

That's what I talked about on previous post.

And from what I saw that's how the current 2D-Paint works.

If you right click on the surface the plane will be set on the depth of the surface under your cursor.

If you do it in realtime, (everytime you do a stroke on the surface it calculate the new depth) you got the tool :)

• Advanced Member

I order to scale up and down the voxel sculpting, i'd like to be able to

- convert the voxels to polygons (already done)

-when i clear the scene, i'd like to be able to select as a new model (and scale it up and down) the previously generated polygon mesh

The Increase resolution has a problem : the voxels are not interpolated, and the model looks faceted

• Advanced Member

There is a famous paper from Pixal called:

An Irradiance Atlas for Global Illumination

in Complex Production Scenes

link: http://graphics.pixar.com/IrradianceAtlas/paper.pdf

maybe you have already read about it, they talked about using an octree to store voxel data of a scene.

I think this kind of data structure may be useful for multi-resolution voxel editing.

regards,

akira.

post-751-1223707576_thumb.jpg

Export of "To Polygons" raw mesh

I am working on an object that is as I want it and I dont need to retopo it - I just want to export the mesh as is for render in LW.

Is this actually possible - I keep getting "the object is empty" type error messages - and whilst there are pointers, there are no polygons in the reference mesh created.

Here is a grab of the VX model.

If it is not possible, could we please have the option to export the VX skin directly?

3DBob

post-709-1223725469_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Can you add a way of removing a polygon mesh from the scene - I can't find a way of doing this without using 'new' which destroys the voxel sculpt. Even importing a model (which I would have expected to just 'merge' into the scene) wipes the sculpt back to a sphere.

This is about as much 'scene management' as you need for this program :)

• Advanced Member
You could just choose a brush tip from the upper left, like square or one of the marquee options, and use it to "select" the entire model, then it will disappear.

Sorry, this doesn't work for polygon objects - only voxels. :(

In my specific case I have a polygon model created using the "to polygons" button - and I want to remove it from the scene without harming my original sculpt. More generally, this feature will come in for a variety of scene management tasks, e.g. keeping the size of the 3b file down, etc.

• Advanced Member

-Curves:

It could be nice to be able to choose the hardness of a dot when you are creating a curve.

For the moment you got the choice between full hardness or no hardness at all.

Having a numerical choice can be usefull for creating base mesh with curves.

topology

i suggest an alpha"transparant" slider for the reference mesh or vox mesh, ive done a couple of retopo's now, and sometimes it hard to see what your doiing in some places

so that i imported it into silo to have a look what i realy had

the adjust mesh sliders can help but sometimes it intersect and get messy, also with additional extrude you have to search for the right vertice on the snapping surface

maybe they wont be needed anymore with this option

what also could be a visual help is that the topolines-edges width is 2 or 3px but should be an option

on a sidenote-sometimes vertices dont get deleted but you cant select them anymore mostly on deleting rings and loops

• Advanced Member

Would it by any chance be possible to convert point-cloud-data or raw scanmeshes directly from a 3D-scanner into clay?

3D scaning a concept which has been started in e.g. modeling-clay and then symmetrizing the result and adding further

details could prove tremendously helpful for Industrial Design processes! The result could either get retopo'ed to

a low poly mesh and be converted to Nurbs via Tsplines or traditional Reverse-Engineering programs could get used on

the HiRes mesh in order to come up with a Nurbs-Solid suitable for Rapid-Prototyping/Production.

Holger

• Advanced Member

To me it seems that Voxel sculpting is not necessarily limited to amorph organic sculpting but could generally also get used for giving things relatively precise shapes.

Maybe here imported curves could help for as long as 3DCoat does not provide a toolset to create those. Technical objects in most cases have precise features.

I found it interesting to get parametric brushes which could create say a 5mm* fillet around an object or create a customizable array of holes of defined depth.

When the result of such a voxel session was saved as a high density mesh and brought to a Reverse Engineering program with feature recognition (like Rapidform for example

www.rapidform.com) the sculpt could quickly get converted to producable geometry.

*at least as close as Voxels can be

Hello together.

I have a feature request for "procedural brushes" in 3DC.

The attached image explains the idea.

It is nothing "special", but very useful, I guess. Everyone knows it from another tools in similiar form.

Hope you like it.

Be creative

Chris

post-955-1223920519_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Hello together.

It is nothing "special", but very useful, I guess. Everyone knows it from another tools in similiar form.

Hope you like it.

Be creative

Chris

I love the procedural brushes too!

further more,I really hope some day 3dc will support svg vector brushes!

• Advanced Member
Hello together.

Hope you like it.

Be creative

Chris

Nice mock up and excellent idea. :)

Ive been asking for brush profile curves for a while now. Andrew is working on brushes now i think so i hope we will get something like this soon.

3dioot

"SuperSmoother" for Sphere Tool

All of the improvements to the "Sphere" tool are very useful and predictable. The same is true for the double-sided "2D Paint" tool. I think many people will begin the "roughing" process using one or both of these tools. I can think of 2 important improvements for the "Sphere" tool that will make it even more useful and popular:

As a separate tool or enabled with the "Shift" key, provide a very fast, (very strong, uniform action), "Smoother" that would act like the "Fill" tool, (only much stronger/faster) for filling in the "join" area between connected spheres. I kind of "fillet" tool. It would be especially functional for mouse users who "stack" spheres of increasing or decreasing size to make the rough version of what the imagined shape will be. Using spheres to make organic shapes is a natural choice, the only problem being the filling in of gaps or joins.

In addition, when making something like a torso, from a front or side view, having the ability to "center" each successive sphere directly above, below, or to the side of the existing sphere, (parallel to the view plane), would eliminate the need for starting the center part of a character with "Symmetry" turned on, (which often is hard to use because of the doubling action that happens when a sphere is created slightly off center to the line of symmetry). If a modifier key were held down while clicking to place each successive sphere, thus centering it, or placing it centered at 90 degree rotation intervals, would help make quick work of that frequently used method of torso construction, both for erect characters or quadruped postured

characters.

Even providing a "snap to center" setting for the "symmetry" function would not be as practical as this method would be.

Thanks, Andrew, for ever improving 3D-Coat

Psmith

• Advanced Member

Sphere Tool "Sphere Extrusion":

Actually the current range of sphere extrusion is too large.

Here is a little drawing to try to explain.

post-783-1223985357_thumb.jpg

The first drawing show the actual extrusion range.

You can draw far above the surface and far under the surface, I can't think of any situation where you could need this.

The second drawing represent the efficient range. The first circle is at 0 and the second is at 100%.

If you go further than the middle of the sphere you got an area who is not necessary, represented by the green cross hatch in the third drawing.

An other feature who could be nice to add chunk of clay on a surface would be to be able to squash the sphere.

Having to possiblity to extrude the sphere from a surface from its normal would be nice to.

I think that taking the normal who is directly under the cursor and an average of the normal covered by the brush radius is necessary because if you are sculpting on a rough shape getting only the normal under the center of the cursor could lead to unpredictable result.

• Advanced Member

Very very minor bug here with 3-00 Alpha28

I bind my G hotkey to toggle 3D Grid. but with the volumetric sculpting activated it won't allow me to use it. giving an error window saying 'The operation is not undoable. To continue? yes/no'

Try it and see. in main app bind G key to View > Show 3D - grid. Then activate Volumetric sculpting and try to toggle the grid with the G key.

very minor as I said, but G is a key I universally use to toggle grid across all the apps I use.

p.s. just realised this is in the wrong thread, was meant for bugzz. sorry

• Advanced Member

Would it be possible to change the behaviour of the 'clear' button so that it *doesn't* switch to the merge tool automatically - rather, it just returns to the previously selected tool. I find myself sculpting from 'thin air' quite often now, and I don't need it to switch to the merge tool automatically while I'm doodling with sphere and using clear to start over if it goes badly :)

I've always found it quite confusing / disorientating that it jumps to the merge tool and to me it doesn't seem like you'd want this behaviour 100% of the time any more - with many of the tools able to begin sculpting from "thin air", it's possibly more confusing to guide a new user into thinking they 'have to' use merge, rather than forcing them to go and find a tool they want from the broad range of alternative starting options

Translation Widgets (or Widgetless) Transformation of "Objects"

When sculpting with voxels, when does geometry become an "object"?

It would be quite useful to select a "grouping" of geometry, define it as an "object", and then translate it, either with a widget, or without one, (this is my preference). Blender has a very nice "gestural" translation system that saves a lot of time, once you get used to it. The Blender developers only added translation widgets when they received enough requests from users to justify adding them. I suppose if 3D-Coat will support visual translation of geometry, widgets will be required. I just ask that there always will remain the option to "turn them off".

Widgetless translation could default to moving the "object" in the plane of the screen.

Psmith

Movable Symmetry Plane

I know this is a difficult request to implement. In order to properly align a symmetry plane, arbitrarily, the user must possess the means of finding an "object's" center - and on all axes, simultaneously. No easy task.

It might be easier to have a control that automatically moves any defined "object" to the exact center of "world" space, thus aligning it with the existing "default" symmetry plane. It brings into play the idea of "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

When we begin sculpting "out of thin air" it is difficult to do so at the exact center of the universe. Yet, on the other hand, if you don't have a way to begin sculpting symmetrically, any attempt to center your "object" along the plane of symmetry, after the fact, will result in an object that is not exactly centered.

Everyone has probably experienced trying to begin sculpting with the default symmetry plane activated, and seen the "doubling" effect that takes place when moving to either side of the plane, not placing things exactly on center. Perhaps a center "snapping" system would solve this problem, and a person could simply always begin sculpting at the "world" center.

Psmith

• Advanced Member
Movable Symmetry Plane

I know this is a difficult request to implement. In order to properly align a symmetry plane, arbitrarily, the user must possess the means of finding an "object's" center - and on all axes, simultaneously. No easy task.

It might be easier to have a control that automatically moves any defined "object" to the exact center of "world" space, thus aligning it with the existing "default" symmetry plane. It brings into play the idea of "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

When we begin sculpting "out of thin air" it is difficult to do so at the exact center of the universe. Yet, on the other hand, if you don't have a way to begin sculpting symmetrically, any attempt to center your "object" along the plane of symmetry, after the fact, will result in an object that is not exactly centered.

Everyone has probably experienced trying to begin sculpting with the default symmetry plane activated, and seen the "doubling" effect that takes place when moving to either side of the plane, not placing things exactly on center. Perhaps a center "snapping" system would solve this problem, and a person could simply always begin sculpting at the "world" center.

Psmith

Hi, I'm not saying this completely solves your problem, and I may have misunderstood your request - but did you know that holding the TAB key allows you to slide the symmetry plane?

David:

No, I really missed that one. Thanks for enlightening me. I'll have to experiment some, but I doubt that this will solve the "doubling" problem when starting to model with symmetry activated, regardless of where, in space, the symmetry plane is set.

So, in light of this discovery, I suppose I ought to rephrase my request to something like:

"Symmetry Center Snapping", and then reference exactly what I mean, pointing to my previous post. And, to expand on this request a little, providing snapping rotation points at 45 or 90 degrees from "vertical" would be really a nice addition, as well. This option could be enabled with modifier key(s).

Psmith

"Object" Creation and Transformation

I just wanted to add a little more explanation for why we might need this functionality:

Currently, to make an assemblage of items into a larger "whole", one must "merge" objects, one by one. After being merged, the translation widget becomes available until you translate that object into voxels. At this point, the merged object is "frozen" into the scene.

Now, if you are talking about being able to translate new and original voxel parts or objects, the process becomes quite cumbersome, requiring the user to, first, convert to "polygones", (which should be spelled "polygons"), export the converted polygonal mesh as it is, or retopologize it and then export it - then re-enter "voxel" mode, and, finally, go through the "merge" routine as one would with a non-native mesh. A fair amount of work.

I make wooden clocks for a living, and use 3D for both "roughing out" a clock concept, and then using this model as a template to produce an accurate CAD drawing for the CNC cutting of the wooden gears and frame parts. You might realize how valuable a tool like 3D-Coat would be for "mocking up" a close representation of what a client might be getting, both from the standpoint of overall form and final sculpting and texturing of the wooden parts for a realistic presentation to clients. (I am waiting with baited breath for the ability to paint directly on the voxel form, since I don't need to export the sculpture anywhere else).

So, for the case of assembling actual clock "parts", the ability to efficiently move them around relative to one another becomes, for me, a necessity. I can see 3D-Coat advancing to the stage where it will be accurate enough to produce models which are suitable for reproduction on an inexpensive "Rapid Prototyping 3D Printer". Of course, this is some distance away from the present, but Andrew has demonstrated that he has the abilities to "make real" almost any concept, so maybe not that distant.

So you can see more clearly why this would be important to someone like me, here is a picture of one of my wooden clocks:

post-962-1224166719_thumb.jpg

Psmith

• Carlosan changed the title to 2024 Feature requests wishlist
  • Carlosan pinned this topic
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic