3DCoat Forums

2024 Feature requests wishlist

Andrew Shpagin

I think a toggle between surface and voxel style smoothing is a good idea beacause it means you don't have to change tools, and the majority of the time I'd wand surface style smoothing even while working with voxel sculpting tools. Voxel smoothing has it's advantages too, and I wouldn't want to see it completely disappear.

regards

Heath

• Advanced Member

with the new interface work, it seems the 'Fill' paint bucket tool has had the option to activate/deactivate

depth/paint/spec removed.

it would be nice to have those options back (in the top bar) so we don't have to have those open as 'panels'

or switch to another tool, activate/deactivate, then go back to the 'Fill' tool.

• Advanced Member

Liquid Simulation

Now we have Cloth Simulation in 3DC, it's quite good.

Then how about a "Liquid Simulation"? Just think about with a plane(as liquid) slowly fall down onto a sphere, then we just finished a:

post-445-1241432351_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

regarding the reference image function. can the images be overlayed on top of the object with opacity control similar to material background. not sure if its already implemented but couldn't find it in voxel tab.

makes it much easier to sculpt from reference.

reference image plane

57858879.th.jpg

material background

47995648.th.jpg

any chance of multiple viewport? no need to toggle views all the time.

• Advanced Member
Couldn't you just reduce the opacity of the voxel shader? Most if not all shaders have an opacity setting.

I haven't tried but doing it per object per shader would be tedious I think than a adjusting the xyz ref image. Lw way of putting ref image in the bg is a good method. I prefer it than max which is how most appz do it similar to 3dc. I always wanted to have the material bg and camera locked in 3dc like lw but it doesn't work that way.

I haven't tried but doing it per object per shader would be tedious I think than a adjusting the xyz ref image. Lw way of putting ref image in the bg is a good method. I prefer it than max which is how most appz do it similar to 3dc. I always wanted to have the material bg and camera locked in 3dc like lw but it doesn't work that way.

Oh yes I do agree the LW method would be much better, I can't understand why all of the programs don't do that. Why would I want these image planes getting in the way?

• Advanced Member
Oh yes I do agree the LW method would be much better, I can't understand why all of the programs don't do that. Why would I want these image planes getting in the way?

That's why I wondered if the material bg could work like that. But switching to other views or saved camviews would misalign the material bg and also it doesn't remember the material scale in relation to the object. The reference image function in 3dc is ok if its overlayed with opacity control.

• Advanced Member
yes, but I wish to paint my mask...

You can with certain tools. If you use the pose tool (under adjust) and switch the mode to "select with pen" you can paint a mask of what you'll be moving/rotating/scaling (ctrl key deselects, as you might figure). Andrew could probably make this work with more tools, but my guess is it's only possible with surface-based tools.

• Advanced Member

Hi, I've got a few requests from playing around this morning:

* When you tear off a menu, can you make it automatically enable the 'pinned' mode too. I usually forget the first time and have to go back and start over again. This way seems more natural.

* In the 2D texture editor window - can you add a 'current layer only' option. I wanted to erase a bit of detail today and this would have made it easier to find, plus it seems like a useful feature to have for other layer management tasks.

* (this might just be a bug) Could/should the 'Render' tab work with painted models? I painted up a mesh this morning in DP mode, switched to render but it showed up with just the current colour. Am I doing something wrong here?

• Advanced Member

I've been thinking about how to go about making a bio-mechanical character such as the Strogg from Quake.

It occured to me that if voxel and sculpt modes were unified this would be easier - and best of all I think my suggestion simply comes down to:

Allowing polygons to be rendered in voxel mode

This change would allow you to import a model that represents the mechanical parts and skeleton of the character - then switch to voxel mode and build up the organic parts. Building up voxels would be done just as you can already do with the sphere tool on sub-objects (thanks for pointing this out Akira!)

The advantages I see are:

* Hard faces and edges would be preserved implicitly without being unecessarily converted to voxels and back again.

* Auto quadrangulation could incorporate the existing topology of the mechanical parts - saving retopology time.

* Performance increase due to focusing voxels into just the organic areas.

* Users familiar with polygon-only scultping don't have to dive into 100% voxels.

Is this a good idea? the mixture of the two seems like it would offer a lot of freedom.

• Advanced Member

Reference Image Background:

- ability to numerically increase scale/rotation(along axis plane) of images

- ability to do the above to all planes simultaneously (so that if the ref images were

prepared in Photoshop and aligned/scaled equally, we don't have to adjust the planes

inside 3DC with non-uniform values...Ex., I scale the x-axis plane to fit my model, I then

have to guess how much to scale the z-axis plane to fit)

- lock toggle for each axis plane, so things don't get accidentally scaled/rotated/moved and

we have to guess where they were before we accidentally edited them.

- related more to cameras, but a 'locked' ortho view (can only pan or zoom, but not rotate

the perspective)

- ability to custom hotkey all things camera/background-image related if desired

• Advanced Member
Reference Image Background:

- ability to numerically increase scale/rotation(along axis plane) of images

- ability to do the above to all planes simultaneously (so that if the ref images were

prepared in Photoshop and aligned/scaled equally, we don't have to adjust the planes

inside 3DC with non-uniform values...Ex., I scale the x-axis plane to fit my model, I then

have to guess how much to scale the z-axis plane to fit)

- lock toggle for each axis plane, so things don't get accidentally scaled/rotated/moved and

we have to guess where they were before we accidentally edited them.

- related more to cameras, but a 'locked' ortho view (can only pan or zoom, but not rotate

the perspective)

- ability to custom hotkey all things camera/background-image related if desired

Yes this is very important for accurate models.

Again, there must be a way to see the reference image behind the object in viewport. I think its easy to implement in 3dc.

I'm trying to model a concept car in 3dc but without the ability to see ref images better, it takes more time in workflow to hide/unhide voxel just to see ref images.

• Advanced Member
Couldn't you just reduce the opacity of the voxel shader? Most if not all shaders have an opacity setting.

I tried it now with a few shaders by reducing opacity to make glassy shader. Ref images don't show up behind the voxel. Any other way?

I have one idea for retopo ... now, it's quite hard to retopo hard surfaces, because it's uneasy to hit edge or corner of an object accurately and quadrangulate is very bad, when it comes to retopo "boxes" (it just never puts points on edges or in corners, so it just cuts the corners out).

So maybe there are two possible solutions, both based on detection of edges and corners in voxel space (and sadly, thats what I don't know whether it's possible - it's easy for human to find them, maybe not for computer) - adjust quadrangulate algorithm not to start at any place, but find edges and corners at the beginning and start from them or/and allow to snap to edges and corners in manual retopo.

• Carlosan changed the title to 2024 Feature requests wishlist
  • Carlosan pinned this topic
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic