3DCoat Forums

The Doors of Perception

ghib

• Advanced Member

the_thing.jpg

It's not anything, but it's definately something. I can see new ideas forming. 2 minutes with the new voxel sculpting in 3dcoat and I am astounded. Redwax shader, realtime shadows. Adding and subtracting without care for topology. I have to say Thanks Andrew. If you get those re-topology tools in then this app is going to fly.

Now.. what else can we do with this thing...

• Advanced Member

Woah that looks awesome! :D

I dont know if you know this but if you press the "mergerefmesh" button (horrible name i know) you will get your voxel mesh as a reference mesh to retopo. You start the retopo tools by clicking on the icon with the two green polygons (its the third icon on the left from the bottom up). Download the freshly revised 3dcoat manual and check out the retopo tools i would say. I have tried them quickly on my cat sculpt and really liked them. :)

3dioot

• Advanced Member
Woah that looks awesome! :D

I dont know if you know this but if you press the "mergerefmesh" button (horrible name i know) you will get your voxel mesh as a reference mesh to retopo. You start the retopo tools by clicking on the icon with the two green polygons (its the third icon on the left from the bottom up). Download the freshly revised 3dcoat manual and check out the retopo tools i would say. I have tried them quickly on my cat sculpt and really liked them. :)

3dioot

Hey mate. cheers. I was just having another quick mess around to see what was available with the new tools and was happily stabbing at random buttons until I stumbled upon what you just described. Man, Andrew really works at the speed of light.

It's worked reasonably well so far but I have had a few crashes due to lack of memory or something. I'll investigate further and report any bugs. This workflow is really sweet however and is a welcome if not downright replacement for more traditional zsphere/box modeling blocking out methods. I'm really starting to feel like I'm using the Right side of my brain again; been fiddling with vertices far too long.

• Advanced Member

Yeah i just posted in the performance thread. After a while 3dcoat becomes really slow for me. When i close it and restart it its fine again. If your getting a laggy mesh right after you convert your sculpt while your sculpt was fast make sure you have the latest version. There was a problem with the conversion before that was solved in the latest release. And yes, im also very excited about this way of sculpting! ;)

3dioot