3DCoat Forums

paint through option?

Aleksey

Go to solution Solved by BeatKitano,

• Advanced Member

Is there an option in 3d coat, where i can paint through the entire mesh?

specifically if im painting horns, legs or antena or other sausage shaped objects, i want to be able to paint on hidden polygons so if i paint a perpendicular stroke, to say a banana, then the stroke goes around and forms a ring.

if that makes sense.

in other words. imagine you are selecting using a live selection tool, and you turn off "only select visible" if you brush over a row of points, all the points that you dont see behind are also selected and form a ring. =)

You can do this with projection painting ("Edit Projections in Ext. Editor").

afaik this isn't possible directly in the viewport. The reason being that if it were to project through based on the brush angle (ie. an averaged surface normal) the resulting paint could become very unpredictable (painting on the knee could end up on a characters lower back for example). If it was based on viewing angle instead you'd still have the problem of it projecting a 'squashed' stroke based on the surface normal making for vast amounts of distortion on the reverse geometry. I don't think there's a good way to do this without using direct projection, but 3DC only supports averaged normals projection in its viewport currently.

• Advanced Member

i really don't mind squashed strokes and projecting onto lower back. worst case, i could mask off the area's im painting. but realistically. I would want to use this while painting front on. And only in the initial stage of blocking colors.

so for example, with a humanoid. I would be looking straight ahead at him. And just quickly block in all the colors i wanted across his body. than i'd turn off the function and keep painting as i do now.

I know i can do this is bodypaint in cinema4D, but it would be nice if i could do this in 4d coat.

anyway thanks for the help.