Left Tool Panel Tabs

post-10142-0-61970700-1411407423_thumb.j

Trello card for voting
https://trello.com/c/ChbtlDVZ

0001628: Left Tool Panel Tabs
http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1628

post-10142-0-49224800-1411407454_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

How do you vote against something on Trello?  Is it only a thumbs up or no vote?

I generally like tabs, but in all the UI design I've dealt with, rotated text is not very usable, if you have to have thin tabs like that in those vertical tabs in that screenshot, then you should instead put icons with HORIZONTAL tool tips on the tabs.  Rotated vertical text in a UI is a no go for me and I strongly suggest against instituting this paradigm in 3DC.

That being said, I like the concept, just not the rotated text.

• Reputable Contributor

I know this vertical panels from Blender and i dont like it.

To much clicking.

Same here. Hate the idea, quite frankly. However, it would be a GREAT idea to make the panels (ie., TOOL OPTIONS, BRUSH OPTIONS, LAYER PANELS, etc) minimized to vertical tabs. This would work just like the panels expand/minimize in Photoshop....with a row of icons.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Same here. Hate the idea, quite frankly. However, it would be a GREAT idea to make the panels (ie., TOOL OPTIONS, BRUSH OPTIONS, LAYER PANELS, etc) minimized to vertical tabs. This would work just like the panels expand/minimize in Photoshop....with a row of icons.

I prefer this option as well.  The way photoshop lets you have icon callout panels that either auto-collapse or collapse on command is nice.  The icon usage (with hover tooltip for text) is a good use of space too.  If they were permanently dockable like Photoshop too with a double click on the tab to collapse the section that would be cool too.

• Reputable Contributor

I prefer this option as well.  The way photoshop lets you have icon callout panels that either auto-collapse or collapse on command is nice.  The icon usage (with hover tooltip for text) is a good use of space too.  If they were permanently dockable like Photoshop too with a double click on the tab to collapse the section that would be cool too.

Icons would be nice, but I could do with just vertically-aligned tabs...but work the same way Icon callouts do in PS.

Hey Carlosan,

My method (right clicking the Collapse/Expand triangle next to the tool section header) would not be visually different than the current implementation. It would behave like alt+clicking the Eyeball in the VoxTree, and just like Photoshop works with layer visability. Very clean.

Edited by RobertH