3DCoat Forums

Jokermax WIPs

Jokermax

• Advanced Member

Worked some more on this thing.

Is there a good way to add large masses to a voxel model? - adding torso was major pain, blocking in the shape took more time than everything else. I ended up using merged models(spheres) and smoothing and flattening a lot.

post-1079-1223438849_thumb.jpg

Worked some more on this thing.

Is there a good way to add large masses to a voxel model? - adding torso was major pain, blocking in the shape took more time than everything else. I ended up using merged models(spheres) and smoothing and flattening a lot.

Curves and merge simple primitives are usually used to add big masses.

Nice sculpting!

• Advanced Member

Really great sculpt, it remind me the characters in Ant'Z.

I really love it, sculpting displayed here are getting better and better, that's great.

And you're right about sketching rough form.

You can get a rough shape using the curve even if it's not perfect.

After seeing your post and Andrew's answer I gave a try at curve to see how it behave for this task, and I've done a little video.

http://screencast.com/t/sNIWzw0iz

Freeform got roughing tools who seems really great, curve doesn't match it for the moment, I made some suggestion to improve it in the feature request thread.

• Advanced Member

thanks all!

Mantis - thanks for the video, it does give me some ideas how to start a model in more effective way. Also i was thinking next time approaching voxel sculpt in "substructive" way

Really great sculpt, it remind me the characters in Ant'Z.

I really love it, sculpting displayed here are getting better and better, that's great.

And you're right about sketching rough form.

You can get a rough shape using the curve even if it's not perfect.

After seeing your post and Andrew's answer I gave a try at curve to see how it behave for this task, and I've done a little video.

http://screencast.com/t/sNIWzw0iz

Freeform got roughing tools who seems really great, curve doesn't match it for the moment, I made some suggestion to improve it in the feature request thread.

• Advanced Member

Another doodle after work - voxel sculpting feels great but i am yet to find better tool for quickly blocking in large forms - similar to sculpting at lower level. No single crash - very stable, occasional cubic random voxels.

post-1079-1223525172_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Cool head Jokermax.

I like how you are experimenting and pointing out some lack of VS.

Did you see this video http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=pLHWXyTrdNI that's probably what you are looking for, but I don't know if there is such a tool for the moment, it seems like a mix with 2D paint and carve tool.

It allow you to create big blobs of "clay", the main difference is that with freeform you got an Haptic device who allow you to stroke in 3D, here we are sculpting with a tablet.

So I think that you can trick this by taking the depht from the first stroke (on the model) than you can continue your stroke in screen space or from the normal's surface.

But you are right it miss some quick roughing tools, Freeform got many of them for different task so I think we should take a look at it.

• Advanced Member

thanks guys :)

Well, granted this is alpha - my biggest problem is not lack of a tool to add volume but painful slowness and roughness of existing ones - clay, carve, extrude. It does looks like we have everything lined up but some tools seem redundant and slow. Most of the time i am using spray/thaw which is awesome but its strength does not increase with radius and it ignores brush alpha

thanks guys :)

Well, granted this is alpha - my biggest problem is not lack of a tool to add volume but painful slowness and roughness of existing ones - clay, carve, extrude. It does looks like we have everything lined up but some tools seem redundant and slow. Most of the time i am using spray/thaw which is awesome but its strength does not increase with radius and it ignores brush alpha

Have you tried to increase depth (slider)?

• Advanced Member

I know that we are in alpha stage even if it seems so perfect :) I was not whining on 3Dcoat.

Like we said in the feature thread an improvement of 2D paint could help to rough shape.

If you can grow a sphere and not just an hemisphere that would be easier than having to rub your surface with the classical tools.

Really one of the top works there!

Just excellent!

One note: It is better to use GL version on bigger meshes. DX version can crash during shaders swithcing. It is general DirectX bug on XP/Vista 32 with /3G option. I will fix it (using dirty hacks - no other way to beat DirectX bug).

I have received several bugreports from you on this topic.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew! It is a lot of fun to be modeling it and be independent of topology. Also it's great to know that the bug reports get read, thanks for the advice to use GL, will try. Couple other things:

question: i am using vista 64, are you planning on 64 bit version?

observation: initial opening of this model takes several minutes

feature request: at this point the model is very complex and has areas which i want to preserve and never change again. If mask/freeze/hide tool worked with voxels that would be awesome! The workflow i imagine would be something like this: hold a mask key and mask part of the model, invert selection, hit either freeze or hide to isolate/improve performance

• Advanced Member

Added rest of the parts. This time using Hide tool, which helps a lot with perfomance. Hiding most of the model allows to quickly add more material even to a complex model. Had a OOM crash, 64-bit version would be nice. Looking forward to next update ;)

post-1079-1224465851_thumb.jpg