3DCoat Forums

Jokermax WIPs

Jokermax

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

posting some feedback here. we are using 3dc mainly for topology and there are some things we would love to see addressed:

1) many times during retopoing i hit UV tab by accident and the whole reference mesh, which is regularly has many hundreds triangles, goes into UV window, that slows everything down. Please disable reference mesh in UV window

2) add ability to CAP with quads

3) add ability to hide or make reference mesh transparent and/or different material/color

4) add ability to delete vertices

5) add ability to do topology on either side of the symmetry plane if symmetry is ON

6) add ability to "apply" symmetry that will allow to continue retopo and export symmetrical model

7) bring automatic topology(quadrangulate) to retopo mode

Thanks!

1) many times during retopoing i hit UV tab by accident and the whole reference mesh, which is regularly has many hundreds triangles, goes into UV window, that slows everything down. Please disable reference mesh in UV window

Ok, done, it is not hard.

2) add ability to CAP with quads

I made possibility to cap holes with single polygon, without central point with SHIFT ot RMB.

3) add ability to hide or make reference mesh transparent and/or different material/color

You can use texture on reference mesh if texture is referred in MTL file. Just now I have add possibility to load diffuse maps to reference meshes from Texture->Import menu.

4) add ability to delete vertices

Where?

5) add ability to do topology on either side of the symmetry plane if symmetry is ON

6) add ability to "apply" symmetry that will allow to continue retopo and export symmetrical model

Why? Now you can apply symmetry partially, group by group. In so way you have much more freedom.

7) bring automatic topology(quadrangulate) to retopo mode

I am in conversation process with German professor...

• Advanced Member

Thanks for fixing #1, #2!

#3 - thanks for the quick fix, a transparency or visibility controls for reference mesh would be very useful

#4 - you know how when you hover your mouse over an edge and hit delete? Same functionality would be awesome for vertices

#5 - the best example is symmetry mode in Silo - after enabling symmetry it does not matter what side of it you are working on - very handy

#6 - thanks; i didn't know how to do that! Should be enough

Ok, done, it is not hard.

I made possibility to cap holes with single polygon, without central point with SHIFT ot RMB.

You can use texture on reference mesh if texture is referred in MTL file. Just now I have add possibility to load diffuse maps to reference meshes from Texture->Import menu.

Where?

Why? Now you can apply symmetry partially, group by group. In so way you have much more freedom.

I am in conversation process with German professor...

• Contributor

#4 This is the default behavior for the "Points and Faces" tool. With the cursor over a vertice, the vertice is highlighted and you hit the delete key.

In Retopo use Points and Faces to move vertices on both sides of the symmetry plane. Take a voxel sphere into the Retopo room and create faces on one side of the symmetry plane, then go to the newly created faces in the other side and start moving points around. Voila!

• Advanced Member

sorry i am not following you here. Are you saying it already works? because it does not :)

#4 This is the default behavior for the "Points and Faces" tool. With the cursor over a vertice, the vertice is highlighted and you hit the delete key.

In Retopo use Points and Faces to move vertices on both sides of the symmetry plane. Take a voxel sphere into the Retopo room and create faces on one side of the symmetry plane, then go to the newly created faces in the other side and start moving points around. Voila!

• Contributor

sorry i am not following you here. Are you saying it already works? because it does not :)

I see that you are correct. This former procedure no longer works. "Select" tool will highlight but the only vertice that I could delete was one that I created with P&F, draged to an empty spot with no polys and there was able to 'delete' it. There even used to be a "Delete Vertice" command in addition to edges and polygons.

I see now that the manipulations of vertces on the symmetry side no longer works. Perhaps this functionality caused too many problems but it was there for ages (it was part of how I learned to do things in Retopo).

• 7 months later...
  • Advanced Member

played in 3dcoat last night. Would be great to have some sort of mask/freeze tool with easy access(ctrl key in zbrush).

And in general, I would rather see time spent on voxel modeling tools and performance instead of PTEX :)

post-1079-12743249513309_thumb.jpg

played in 3dcoat last night. Would be great to have some sort of mask/freeze tool with easy access(ctrl key in zbrush).

And in general, I would rather see time spent on voxel modeling tools and performance instead of PTEX :)

Nice work. Switch to the surface mode, there you have traditional masks.