3DCoat Forums

3d relief work

stoltoguzzi

• Advanced Member

Your too kind philnolan3d. Making tutorial videos now? ;)

If i may be so bold to give you a little tip. Every time you make a jing movie i hear a soft noise on the background. If your not going to comment the movie you may as well mute the microphone. It will give you smaller movie sizes which is good cause you wont reach your jing bandwidth limit as fast (i reached mine for this month :().

Also; any specific reason you use pen instead of voxel airbrush? I would think voxel airbrush would give a better result? :huh:

3dioot

Addendum

You can just perform a mute the moment you start capturing. You get the countdown and you get a message wether mic is enabled or muted. If its not muted you can just click on the mute microphone icon thats part of the play and stop button row of jing. So you dont have to physically unplug the mic. If you dont do a mute "inside" jing im not certain wether it really stops trying to record (ive seen movies where jing captured speaker output). ^_^

You're right I should just unplug my mic, which is actually just an old pair of headphones plugged into the mic jack. When I first started using Jing I reached my limit very quickly, I complained to them and a few days later the doubled the bandwidth for everyone.

The only reason for not using the airbrush is that I haven't tested it much so I forgot to even try it. lol Thanks for the reminder, I'll give it a try now.

Edit: Yes you're right I just tried it and Airbrush does give cleaner results. Also noticed that if you Increase res a couple of times before doing the slice you get a cleaner slice.

• Advanced Member
I made a quick 'n' dirty video of what I explained above. That should make things more clear.

http://screencast.com/t/SAZ8YWSH

As far as being inverted, I think that's a bug that Andrew is working on. I didn't show this in the video but afterwords I grabbed a soft pen and held Shift while brushing around the rough spots to smooth them out. Smooth All does not seem to be working right now with Surface tools like Draw With Pen. You could try smoothing the flat surface before stamping the image on, that might be easier.

just for fun here's a render. (I think I just made an avatar for Andrew. :P )

Oh and yes you could import your own object using the Merge, then Select Mesh, buttons in the volumetric tools.

Hehe this is nice! A gold medal tells who the winner is. :)

- using the pen I have to move (draw) a little bit befor I see something not just pressing the LMB, is this correct

- are you working using pens together with 3DCoad

- is a 3D Mouse like http://www.3dconnexion.de/ supported by 3D-Coat.

3D Mouse is supported, you'll find options for it under View > Options (at the bottom).

Not sure what you mean by "pens". A graphics tablet? I have a Wacom Intuos 3 6x8 at my desk and a Graphire 3 4x5 that I keep in my laptop bag, both work very nciely.

Yes I should have mentioned that I had to wiggle the mouse or stylus just a little, although I tried all of the tools andfound that somelike Extrude do not require the wiggling.

now I explored 3DC a little bit, I would like to do the following workflow

- for each of this step I could use another layer

- starting using a plane surface

- importing an image an place it on this plane

- now using the draw with spline I would draw along some borderline to create some surfaces along some contour of this image (nose, eyes etc.)

- I could then use ths sculpting tool to give them some hight

- now using some other tools pen/brush do smooth and correct them

- the last thing could be to project a displacement map as texture to have the thin details (hairs...)

does this makes sense?

If yes some question

- importing an image, how to fit them together, importing an image will show be the imported image but not projected on the obj/plane I loaded before

- drawing some spline curves but if I switch to sculpting they are not there anymore

Thanks for some beginner help :rolleyes:

stoltoguzzi

now I explored 3DC a little bit, I would like to do the following workflow

- for each of this step I could use another layer

- starting using a plane surface

- importing an image an place it on this plane

- now using the draw with spline I would draw along some borderline to create some surfaces along some contour of this image (nose, eyes etc.)

- I could then use ths sculpting tool to give them some hight

- now using some other tools pen/brush do smooth and correct them

- the last thing could be to project a displacement map as texture to have the thin details (hairs...)

does this makes sense?

Yup, that sounds just like the way things work in 3DC for poly models.

- importing an image, how to fit them together, importing an image will show be the imported image but not projected on the obj/plane I loaded before

I don't understand this question at all.

- drawing some spline curves but if I switch to sculpting they are not there anymore

Did you press Enter after drawing the curve? It doesn't actually create the curve until you press Enter, then you can also press Esc. to clear out the current "spline" if you like.