3DCoat Forums

Dimitri Bastos' Sketchbook

dimitribastos

• Advanced Member

Hi there. Here I will post some work  in progress or finished pieces. I started 3D Coat a little time ago, so there is a lot to learn :)

Character Sketch #1

2a7449e2b391c01798d12f7ca6c13de5.png

Character Sketch #2

664dc6a5e4686fb1baa389c1c6afea5c.png

Character Sketch #3

175c13d42870ea270c33e2da82b54084.png

Character Sketch #4

grey.png

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Nice variety of characters. Great job, Dimitri!

Nice character design. Liking the toon style :)

Thank you very much for your kind words. I hope to continue to bring more stuff! :)

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Hey, guys. Long time no see. Here is a new 3D Coat sculpt, as a part of a bigger project. Hope to share it with you soon. :)

It's a tribute to a game called Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow. :)

patologia_clay_coldshadow.jpg

Edited by dimitribastos
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

Well Done Dimitri , well done.

Thanks, man. :)

Really very nice work Dimitri. I've featured you on my blog: http://www.christoph-werner.de/2015/04/01/featured-artist-dimitri-bastos/

I hope it is ok for you. If not, drop me a pm.

Best wishes

Chris

PS: Where are your first images? I see them currently broken here in the thread.

Thank you very much, Taros. I'm really honored for be featured on your blog. Thanks for this.

About the other images, their links are dead. I will upload again and edit all my posts. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Beautiful work.

Could you shed some light on what technique did you use for the hair? I love'em.

Hey, thanks!

The hair was made retopologizing the sculpted hair, then separeted in various individual segments. After that, some edge loops were created and then pushed outwards. The final look is subdivided.

hair.jpg

• Contributor

Thanks Dmitri.

So you took the sculpture, retopologized the hair clumps and added supporting edge loops for a better subdivision? How did you deal with overlapping polygons? Did you initially sculpt each hair clump as an individual object for easier retopo later on? What did you mean by "[hair] separated in various individual segments"? I'm looking at the image that you posted, but I'm not sure what it represents. Some selection of faces for sure. But is that a single UV island  (a collection of faces) or maybe a single object, or something else? Does the screenshot come from retopo room or from 3rd party software?

You pushed the edge loops outwards, how - and outwards in reference to what?

I apologise for so many questions, but I really like the hair you've done and I'd like to know some effortless way of creating it. :)

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks Dmitri.

So you took the sculpture, retopologized the hair clumps and added supporting edge loops for a better subdivision? How did you deal with overlapping polygons? Did you initially sculpt each hair clump as an individual object for easier retopo later on? What did you mean by "[hair] separated in various individual segments"? I'm looking at the image that you posted, but I'm not sure what it represents. Some selection of faces for sure. But is that a single UV island  (a collection of faces) or maybe a single object, or something else? Does the screenshot come from retopo room or from 3rd party software?

You pushed the edge loops outwards, how - and outwards in reference to what?

I apologise for so many questions, but I really like the hair you've done and I'd like to know some effortless way of creating it. :)

Man, I'm so sorry about not replying to your post. I stay away from 3D Coat for a while and not even posted here anymore until a few days ago. I just realized that I created this topic and then I saw your question. Again, sorry for taking to long to respond. 

About your questions, I did exactly what you though. :) The overlapping polygons was not a problem, because after retopologizing the hair I separeted it in various clumps and then fine tuned them by modeling. It was not that hard, because I did them very low poly. By "separeted in various individual segments" I meant exactly what I said above, haha. Sorry about my english vocabulary :( I just created separeted clumps, added some loops to create the details and subdivided. 

I don't know if you remember the image, unfortunatelly I lost all my files hosted on my server :(

Edited by dimitribastos
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

So guys, I used a old study project and then updated it to the Star Wars hype. I did the sculpt on 3D Coat and all the textures as well. Created a "old shirt" smart material and hand painted the face, then used Modo to render. 

Team_StarWars_low.jpg

Edited by dimitribastos
  • Like 6