3DCoat Forums

Nathan's voxel sculpting sketchbook

nathan

I am loving the latest builds, it just gets better every day. it's getting very easy to rough out volumes now, I can't wait to see how far it gets.

anyhow, I just made this, it's nothing special but it was fun so I figured I'd start a sketchbook thread and hopefully add more doodles to it.

post-973-1223423253_thumb.jpg

I started from the default sphere, then I used the freehand line tool from the side (orthographic) to cut out the profile. then I went to the front and cut the front view. then I pretty much just used the scrape tool to cut away at it to get the volume I wanted. after that I used the extrude tool to add to or refine, and smooth to clean up all the tool marks. I didn't spend very long on it, maybe 20 minutes. I probably should have cut from the top view too, ha, didn't even think about that.

totally different way of working for me, like 100%. it was pretty fun, I think I'll try a whole new approach next time.

I better get back to work now.

ok here's another distraction... this one ALSO done while I was supposed to be working :o

yeah, I know, it's pretty similar to the last one. whatever. I was distracted, it was fun, I'll post it anyway.

same technique on this one as the last one, using the lasso to cut away at the base sphere, then pretty much the extrude brush this time.

post-973-1223527632_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

nice good shapes! How do you use Extrude - its very slow for me, any tips?

Thanks!

ok here's another distraction... this one ALSO done while I was supposed to be working :o

yeah, I know, it's pretty similar to the last one. whatever. I was distracted, it was fun, I'll post it anyway.

same technique on this one as the last one, using the lasso to cut away at the base sphere, then pretty much the extrude brush this time.

post-973-1223527632_thumb.jpg

nice good shapes! How do you use Extrude - its very slow for me, any tips?

Thanks!

thanks Jokermax.

well, it is a bit slow for me too, so I'm usually just making a couple quick strokes to add a little volume, then using smooth to reshape.

but I do keep falloff set to 0.0 and just use the alpha to control the shape and falloff of the brush which speeds things up some since you don't need as large a brush. large brush radius = slow.

it's not perfect, the whole system still needs a lot of "finessing" which is partly why this guy is so lumpy. I didn't spend much time on it but if I were trying to polish something I would be spending more time smoothing things out than getting the shape right.

I don't like using pen pressure to change the radius of the brush for instance because it's too unpredictable right now. you get jerky lines that jump from small to large and you have to go back over each stroke and smooth it out.

ok, testing build 25...

multithreading is awesome. the brushes are much smoother now.

so I was playing around with the new "build" brush and quickly roughed out a torso for the head above. the tool isn't perfect, it needs some tweaking, but it does help a ton.

now THIS is where voxel sculpting is going to shine, being able to sculpt a head, and then start adding a body onto it at anytime without having to do anything other than continuing to sculpt. yes please.

this was super quick, I used the build brush for almost all of this, and then refined a little with the extrude brush and lots of smooth.

post-973-1223577140_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Very nice shapes both in the head and the body. I love the lips and chin for some reason. Really very nice. I know this is rough work for you but id wish my faces come out with this quality. :lol: Im trying though.

Great work!

3dioot