3DCoat Forums

Cutoff doing odd things

HonestAustin

Dear 3DCoat Users/Devs,

I was using the cut-off tool to make holes in the ring and while doing this for some odd reason it would cut all the way through the entire model. So, I would use the limiter so I only cut through the needed bits. Well than it wouldn't cut at all unless I litterly made the brush size 5x the size of the ring. and now resetting the value it won't cut off anything :/ so, I don't know what I did but I think I broke something :P

• Contributor

Based on what you are saying, I think the following info will help you out.

When using the Cutoff Tool:

e-panel-option5.jpg

Either one will make cuts, but the "Draw with closed spline" is usually better than the "Paint with drawn contour" because you have a lot more control with it. Once you start making points, a little floating box will appear. Open the little floating box and you will see that it has a lot of options. You can even make the points "hard" to get sharp angles for your cut. To make points "hard", right-click on them.

Also take note that there is a quality difference between the two stroke modes:

2SelectionMethodsDifferences.jpg

Use the "Depth limit" option to adjust the depth of your cuts.

e-panel-option4.jpg

The "Depth limit" starts at 30, but try different values to see how deep your cut will be.

Note: These screenshots are from an older version of 3D-Coat. Some of the names of the tools might be different now. I used these images to help other people on this forum before, and I didn't want to bother updating them now...but they should still be relevant for you anyways.

• Like 1