3DCoat Forums

Any users of the Quadro K2200 card for feedback?

3dn00b

• Advanced Member

In general CUDA runs slower on Quadro cards, most people get Geforce cards instead.  Cheaper too.   :D  That said I don't use the CUDA version of 3D-Coat as it needs a really old version to work.  Other people here do use it and it does speed up the program.  If you are interested in using other CUDA/GPU renderers, etc. than you would be much happier with a high-end Geforce card (780ti, Titan Black) with lots of memory.

Thanks

Yes I am now thinking of buying a GTX 970..

I was a bit weary of the Geforce because I use Rhino and it seems that Nvidia uses it's drivers to stop the Geforce cards from performing properly with backface rendered meshes nor with floating point operations, in order to protect it's more expensive cards.

So it will be either a GTX 970 hoping it will perform, or a Radeon R9 290

• Advanced Member

Blender has the same issue, or used to with double sided polys.  Now the double sided polys are turned off by default, does Rhino have a similar option?  Unless, of course you need that functionality.  If you can afford it, the best setup is to have one card for your display, and another card or cards for rendering.  This way you can separate the functions and do both at the same time without lag or slowdowns.  Some people have even been able to mix the cards, have a ATI card for display and a Nvidia card for rendering but YMMV.  I don't know if 3D-Coat will work with this configuration though.   I'm just going off of my experience with Cycles and Octane.  

I don't know about Octane but I use Keyshot for rendering and it uses cpu.

Does 3DC use CUDA?

The only graphic software I use are Rhino, 3DCoat for smoothing, Photoshop and Illustrator

I read about the Cuda thing, but according to a Rhino bench marking test, an R9 290 had much higher results than even the latest GTX in mesh tasks.

Plus I find the whole idea of using drivers to cripple a card really annoying.

• Advanced Member

Does 3DC use CUDA?

Yes, but you don't absolutely need it.  Sounds like you just want a viewport speed up, in that case going AMD will be fine.  All vendors cripple their gaming cards to keep the workstation cards profitable, even AMD.  My biggest beef with AMD cards is their Linux drivers are really bad, although they have been getting better in the last month or two.  Of course I use CUDA all the time so AMD cards are a non-starter for me.